Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Poll: Is this library a good idea?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
It's way too much, you should delete the lower three floors
7.14%
1 7.14%
Keep all the floors because they're worth exploring
85.71%
12 85.71%
Other (please comment) Smile
7.14%
1 7.14%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Level Editor Help Giant Library Fun [WIP]
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41
Giant Library Fun [WIP]

So I'm creating a very large library for my custom story. After much contemplation, I'm set on keeping the top two floors at the very least and would like to keep the rest of the floors as well.

Before I go any further with developing it, I wanted to ask if perhaps its too much? - from a player's perspective - I understand it's going to take a lot of time to keep it looking varied and interesting throughout the entire area, but I think I create it. I just want to know if a library that huge is going to be worth creating for the players of my CS.

(edit - image in the spoiler tag)
Spoiler below!

Yes, these were taken in the level editor. It's easier to control than Daniel.

[Image: thelibrarylayout_by_rueppells_fox-d62ouo2.jpg]

I'm not intending on keeping the floors all square and fitting with each other. It was just the easiest way to confine the upward building and prevent myself from making a whole bunch of sprawling floors immediately.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-02-2013, 04:57 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
04-23-2013, 04:26 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Giant Library Fun

(04-23-2013, 04:26 AM)Kiandra Wrote: So I'm creating a very large library for my custom story. After much contemplation, I'm set on keeping the top two floors at the very least and would like to keep the rest of the floors as well.

Before I go any further with developing it, I wanted to ask if perhaps its too much? - from a player's perspective - I understand it's going to take a lot of time to keep it looking varied and interesting throughout the entire area, but I think I create it. I just want to know if a library that huge is going to be worth creating for the players of my CS.

(edit - image in the spoiler tag)
Spoiler below!

Yes, these were taken in the level editor. It's easier to control than Daniel.

[Image: thelibrarylayout_by_rueppells_fox-d62ouo2.jpg]

I'm not intending on keeping the floors all square and fitting with each other. It was just the easiest way to confine the upward building and prevent myself from making a whole bunch of sprawling floors immediately.

Ask yourself this; "What was the purpose of this level?"
If it's a library, the first three are basically useless.
EDIT:
Somebody once said "quality over quantity" and I'm sticking with him/her.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013, 06:14 AM by PutraenusAlivius.)
04-23-2013, 05:58 AM
Find
Romulator Offline
Not Tech Support ;-)

Threads: 63

Well, as JAP said above, take in to account the purpose for the level, but the thing is, your map designs are lovely as compared to mine, so it would be worth exploring Smile

I was quite drawn in by Amnesia's design, complexity and flow rather than the story, the detail given in the game is remarkable, as is yours.
Of course, this is my opinion. Be justified by your own opinion, and use others to find means of improvement. That's how I did as such when I started making things in Game Maker.

Just on a follow up, I'm making my own Library in my CS to come. It will not be nearly as grand as yours, but it would just be rather simple, just one floor, some space, bookshelfs, books all over the floor, etc. Throughout my story though, just about every single room has some form of point in it. All I aim to do is allow the player to attempt to get through the game without having to worry too much about the vast majority of the area, solve a few puzzles along the way, all those kinds of things.

Discord: Romulator#0001
[Image: 3f6f01a904.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013, 07:49 AM by Romulator.)
04-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

If you're willing to take up that challenge, go for it. A lot of people don't appreciate how important having side rooms/areas that don't necessarily have something in them that's necessary in proceeding are. Think about in the prison, was there another item in every single cell? No, a lot of them were empty or had oil or tinderboxes in them or had a note in them, stuff like that. If you don't have those extra rooms then exploring the level becomes incredibly linear and boring. Realistically thinking, a full scale library would have lots and lots and lots of books, it wouldn't just be a few small rooms with shelves. Now, 6 floors may be a bit overboard, but if you can pull it off it would be a killer level. Up to you though.

Posting Freak
04-23-2013, 07:30 AM
Website Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Probably said before.
It MUST be fun to explore. Otherwise the player gets bored.

The editting must be awesome, the atmosphere must be creepy, and exciting, good sounds, great music, events...

And various events, secrets, rewards and scares

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013, 10:31 AM by FlawlessHappiness.)
04-23-2013, 10:31 AM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

I think you should go for it. Your level design is beyond awesome so i definatly wouldn't mind exploring a bit.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
04-23-2013, 10:46 AM
Find
Adrianis Offline

Threads: 6

Is this supposed to be a kind of library 'wing' in an otherwise residential mansion type place, or is it supposed to be an actual dedicated library building, like a public library? If it's the latter, then it's an awesome idea - to keep it varied you could change the lower floors to a kind of basement book-storage area, have study rooms like you do, that could be really awesome to explore.

On the other hand, if its supposed to be someones personal library as part of a mansion, that might be a bit extreme...

04-23-2013, 11:50 AM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

i would change the texture on that carpet

link:googlesearch

04-23-2013, 02:46 PM
Find
VeNoMzTeamHysterical Offline

Threads: 36

Fifth room looks amazing!

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-21719.html
Evil Awaking Work In Progress!
Hours Spend 472.
04-23-2013, 03:53 PM
Website Find
Tomato Cat Offline

Threads: 2

Pretty cool map! =)

I mostly agree with the "quality over quantity" deal, except that your map looks fabulously well-done and seems like a joy to explore! I say keep those extra floors.

RAISE YOUR DONGERS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
(This post was last modified: 04-23-2013, 05:06 PM by Tomato Cat.)
04-23-2013, 05:05 PM
Find