Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Few questions
Essen Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Few questions

Alright, tried it all out. Entities work, although I haven't tested them in game yet, what I have a problem is that credits stuff however. I tried out that thing via Checkpoint as you guys said, however, one problem occured. There's a corridor with script area at the end and two script areas at the start. One script area at the start stands for Checkpoint you guys told me to make. The second area starts spawning monsters chasing the player+Custom sound starts playing. Now, everything works fine until I either die or get to the end of the corridor. What should happen is, if I die, credits with what happened should start, and Custom Music should play, if I make it to the end of the corridor, different credits start, also saying what happened with protagoinist, and other, different Custom Music plays. I made script in order to stop the custom sound once credits appears. Now, problem is, it simply doesn't work. The sound just won't stop playing, it isn't set to be looping, however, it's quite long. I tried to put StopSound in different places of the script, but the sound still goes on. It interrupts the music a lot. I could solve this out for an option of making it to the end of the corridor, I would add next Script Area right before the Script Area triggering the credits, and would script it to make sound stop. However, what if I die? I can't anyhow script that, because I don't know how long it will take to player to die.
How to solve this out?
04-29-2013, 03:06 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

I don't think it's possible to have different credits.. Maybe but then youll need a new category

Trying is the first step to success.
04-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

You can make like The Attic: The credits were made as another level, with messages appearing. You can have the most important places in the story and make a cinematic scene with them, to give the player a bit of the feel of "nostalgia". If he dies, this. If he escapes, use the actual credits Wink

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
04-29-2013, 05:04 PM
Find
Essen Offline

(04-29-2013, 05:04 PM)The chaser Wrote: You can make like The Attic: The credits were made as another level, with messages appearing. You can have the most important places in the story and make a cinematic scene with them, to give the player a bit of the feel of "nostalgia". If he dies, this. If he escapes, use the actual credits Wink

That's really great idea! Thanks for suggestion. However, I don't think my scripting skills would be able to make it.
04-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

These are your friends:

http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...ons#player
http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn...en_effects

Personally, I haven't tried much of them. You can ask BeeKayK, by what I know he knows very well how to use effects.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
04-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Find
Posting Freak

Sure Smile What kind of effects are we talking about?

04-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Find
Essen Offline

(04-29-2013, 09:17 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: Sure Smile What kind of effects are we talking about?

Something like, how to explain it, basically, character would remember some scenes of what he went through, like it was suggested by Chaser earlier. It woule be his memories. I would need some suiting colors and all that.

Also, how to do these cutscenes you talk about? Isn't it needed to make new map and place all the places I want the character to go through in it to avoid loading of the maps?
04-30-2013, 06:09 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

(04-30-2013, 06:09 AM)Essen Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 09:17 PM)BeeKayK Wrote: Sure Smile What kind of effects are we talking about?

Something like, how to explain it, basically, character would remember some scenes of what he went through, like it was suggested by Chaser earlier. It woule be his memories. I would need some suiting colors and all that.

Also, how to do these cutscenes you talk about? Isn't it needed to make new map and place all the places I want the character to go through in it to avoid loading of the maps?

This is required to make the screen albeit dark red. For black and white, you need a FC if I'm not mistaken.
PHP Code: (Select All)
FadeSepiaColorTo(float afAmountfloat afSpeed); 
afAmount - Intensity (Default is 0)
afSpeed - Time in seconds until it's full effect.

--
You don't have to make new maps. Just create new areas in a level and make the player to teleport to that area. Here's how.
Please note that they have to be called first.

void OnStart()
{
///Add Command here
}

void //FUNCTION//(//string//)
{
FadeOut(0.8f);
SetPlayerActive(false);
TeleportPlayer("StartPos"); //StartPos is the starting position in the area. It's the PlayerStartArea.
AddTimer(""3.0f"FadeIn"); //Change 3.0f to how long you want the unconcusf to endure. Definitely didn't said that one right.
}

void FadeIn(string &in asTimer)
{
FadeIn(1.0f);
//Insert the Sepia thing here.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
04-30-2013, 06:57 AM
Find
Posting Freak

Yea, with the basic settings you can fade the sepia colors. Makes everything redish.
You can fade the screen in and out.
You can turn the head of the character to any degree you want.
You can force the player to stand, crouch, look at something, walk, or make the actual player unable to control.
You can make the blurry effect that happens when you look at a monster.
You can make a fading blurry effect that looks a little like Motionblur, but it's not the same. This one is much slower.
You can teleport the player. This is good when you make a transition/intro/outro. First fade out the screen, then teleport the player, then fade in.

Most information about how to use them are actually already given in the EngineScripts.

04-30-2013, 02:51 PM
Find
Essen Offline

(04-30-2013, 06:57 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote:
(04-30-2013, 06:09 AM)Essen Wrote:

This is required to make the screen albeit dark red. For black and white, you need a FC if I'm not mistaken.
FadeSepiaColorTo(float afAmountfloat afSpeed); 
afAmount - Intensity (Default is 0)
afSpeed - Time in seconds until it's full effect.

--
You don't have to make new maps. Just create new areas in a level and make the player to teleport to that area. Here's how.
Please note that they have to be called first.

void OnStart()
{
///Add Command here
}

void //FUNCTION//(//string//)
{
FadeOut(0.8f);
SetPlayerActive(false);
TeleportPlayer("StartPos"); //StartPos is the starting position in the area. It's the PlayerStartArea.
AddTimer(""3.0f"FadeIn"); //Change 3.0f to how long you want the unconcusf to endure. Definitely didn't said that one right.
}

void FadeIn(string &in asTimer)
{
FadeIn(1.0f);
//Insert the Sepia thing here.

Can't it to work, keep getting the "Unexpected end of file" error. There might be a problem with that(//string//) part, I tried to put "" into it, then leave it blank, but still nothing.

Quote:Yea, with the basic settings you can fade the sepia colors. Makes everything redish.
You can fade the screen in and out.
You can turn the head of the character to any degree you want.
You can force the player to stand, crouch, look at something, walk, or make the actual player unable to control.
You can make the blurry effect that happens when you look at a monster.
You can make a fading blurry effect that looks a little like Motionblur, but it's not the same. This one is much slower.
You can teleport the player. This is good when you make a transition/intro/outro. First fade out the screen, then teleport the player, then fade in.

Most information about how to use them are actually already given in the EngineScripts.

How do you make player to walk forward actually? I found script "MovePlayerForward" on wiki, in EngineScripts, however, didn't quite get it.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2013, 08:17 AM by Essen.)
05-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Find