Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fantastic Anti-piracy Statement
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Fantastic Anti-piracy Statement

No, I'm on Linux most of the time Tongue

(04-29-2013, 04:12 PM)darkely Wrote: Enjoy your trojans and other fun malware! Wink
As I understand it there is such a risk as the pieces of software can be shared by just anyone and everyone. But does it actually happen in practice? I know quite a lot of people who've pirated a lot of games without incurring any problems (or so I have heard).

This article's interesting though - Greenheart claims that 93.6% downloads of their game were illegal. Since they were technically able to come up with such a figure, I wonder if Ubisoft - who once also claimed ~90% of their sales were spoilt by piracy - were exaggerating THAT much as many anti-DRM suggested.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 04:24 PM by felixmole.)
04-29-2013, 04:23 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

[delete me]

(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM by darkely.)
04-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

(04-29-2013, 03:10 PM)Hirnwirbel Wrote:
Rapture Wrote:Wasn't something we all needed to know.
...having a bad day, eh? Sorry for that man - I hope it gets better. Smile

When it comes down to it, almost nothing that gets posted in this entire forum or pretty much any forum on the internet is something you, I, or anyone else really needs to know to go on with life. But that's just the internet in a nutshell for ya...
Sarcasm aside, I just have a policy of not telling stuff that people don't need to know.

Aaannd I'm done with this thread, carry on! Smile
04-29-2013, 04:24 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(04-29-2013, 04:23 PM)felixmole Wrote: No, I'm on Linux most of the time Tongue

(04-29-2013, 04:12 PM)darkely Wrote: Enjoy your trojans and other fun malware! Wink
As I understand it there is such a risk as the pieces of software can be shared by just anyone and everyone. But does it actually happen in practice? I know quite a lot of people who've pirated a lot of games without incurring any problems (or so I have heard).

This article's interesting though - Greenheart claims that 93.6% downloads of their game were illegal. Since they were technically able to come up with such a figure, I wonder if Ubisoft - who once also claimed ~90% of their sales were spoilt by piracy - were exaggerating THAT much as many anti-DRM suggested.

There is still the risk though. [rant]I used Linux (Ubuntu mainly) I liked it, but most of the times games don't come to it.

The most common argument I get when I say that is: "well just use wine". That does work for some games, but usually there are problems/bugs and huge performance hits.[/rant]

04-29-2013, 04:27 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(04-29-2013, 04:27 PM)darkely Wrote: There is still the risk though. [rant]I used Linux (Ubuntu mainly) I liked it, but most of the times games don't come to it.

The most common argument I get when I say that is: "well just use wine". That does work for some games, but usually there are problems/bugs and huge performance hits.[/rant]

Errrm... The point of my post was to discuss piracy in general regardless of the OS.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM by felixmole.)
04-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

(04-29-2013, 04:31 PM)felixmole Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 04:27 PM)darkely Wrote: There is still the risk though. [rant]I used Linux (Ubuntu mainly) I liked it, but most of the times games don't come to it.

Errrm... The point of my post was to discuss piracy in general regardless of the OS.

I think you failed to see my [rant] [/rant] tag(s). Basically meaning you can either read it or ignore it, because it is an off-topic rant.

04-29-2013, 04:34 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

Let's get a few things absolutely clear (because there's nothing I hate more than people spreading misinformation):

Macs can get viruses. In fact, occurrences of infected Macs are on the rise; as their popularity increases, so do the number of people willing to write viruses for them. They are not magically immune to viruses.

"Pirating" abandonware is not always illegal. It depends on the circumstances of the abandonment. In some cases, abandonware refers to software that has been willfully released into the public domain and is therefore legal abandonware.

Pirating is not illegal. Sharing copyrighted material is, which is why seeding torrents can get you in trouble. Downloading ROMs from mirrors is perfectly legal, although the ethics are still completely up in the air.

As felixmole said, pirated material is not usually infected with viruses. With some basic computer awareness and prudence it is practically impossible to get infected by a virus. Run a virus check on anything you download (also, nowadays many torrent programs come equipped with virus programs), learn how to spot typical warning signs (to some extent trial and error, but if a file is in a format it shouldn't be, has a dubious name, is smaller/larger than it should be you should exercise caution). Typically, "legitimate" torrent sites have a flagging system where infected files are flagged and hopefully deleted. Most torrent sites are to a fair degree virus-free, but you will still need to be careful.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM by Bridge.)
04-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

For me its either buy or watch a lets play.
has been wondering whether I might as well just pirate those games though since I rarely buy a game I have already watched being played from start to end.
04-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

(04-29-2013, 04:50 PM)Bridge Wrote: Macs can get viruses. In fact, occurrences of infected Macs are on the rise; as their popularity increases, so do the number of people willing to write viruses for them. They are not magically immune to viruses.

I knew that, but there used to be a lot fewer viruses that "worked" for OSX before.
04-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Find
failedALIAS Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

I'm not in the practice of pirating games. Movies on the other hand, holy shit.

But I do find it interesting how they made the pirates suffer the effects of piracy, I just hope they understand that it's even worse for people whose entire life depends on the sales of their products.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 07:09 PM by failedALIAS.)
04-29-2013, 07:07 PM
Find