Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Fantastic Anti-piracy Statement
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Fantastic Anti-piracy Statement

(04-29-2013, 11:47 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Thats a really bad example Bridge. Though I understand what you meant. You could say that piracy is technically its not theft. But in reality you can "murder" someone's copy either. The copy factor is only easily done on the virtual world. The effects caused by pirating a game are worse than stealing it. because if you steal you'll be the only one carrying that illegal copy. If you pirate it however. The copy of the game shall inevitably multiply to millions causing the exact same damage for a company as if an army went to the game store and took every copy of the game again and again throwout years!

Slippery slope much? There are many ways to copy something without sharing it. Nobody is arguing that torrents are completely legal. Actually, downloading torrents of copyrighted material with a upload speed of anything above 0 kbps (which is not possible with many programs), is highly illegal. Even if you share just a megabyte of it, you can be charged with distributing copyrighted material, which is a crime.

EDIT: As I've said before, it's not the same thing. Imagine that a company has a budget of $50,000 which is easily regained after the first month of release. After that, people stop buying the product and start pirating it exclusively. For the company, it is like the product never existed. If, however, an army went into the store and took millions of copies, the company (technically speaking the retailer) will be millions of dollars in the red, facing certain bankruptcy. It's not the same thing, and the damage is not even remotely comparable.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 11:52 PM by Bridge.)
04-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Find
darkely Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 87

(04-29-2013, 11:46 PM)Bridge Wrote: Yeah, pretty much. Your point? Arguing is fun.

Whatever. As long as you know all of the arguments here are useless and essentially help/hurt nothing.

04-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(04-29-2013, 11:49 PM)darkely Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 11:46 PM)Bridge Wrote: Yeah, pretty much. Your point? Arguing is fun.

Whatever. As long as you know all of the arguments here are useless and essentially help/hurt nothing.

The same can be said about most things in life. But I at least hope that somebody will leave this thread armed with some newfound knowledge. Otherwise I certainly wouldn't participate in any debates.
(This post was last modified: 04-29-2013, 11:54 PM by Bridge.)
04-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85

(04-29-2013, 11:49 PM)Bridge Wrote:
(04-29-2013, 11:47 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Thats a really bad example Bridge. Though I understand what you meant. You could say that piracy is technically its not theft. But in reality you can "murder" someone's copy either. The copy factor is only easily done on the virtual world. The effects caused by pirating a game are worse than stealing it. because if you steal you'll be the only one carrying that illegal copy. If you pirate it however. The copy of the game shall inevitably multiply to millions causing the exact same damage for a company as if an army went to the game store and took every copy of the game again and again throwout years!

Slippery slope much? There are many ways to copy something without sharing it. Nobody is arguing that torrents are completely legal. Actually, downloading torrents of copyrighted material with a upload speed of anything above 0 kbps (which is not possible with many programs), is highly illegal. Even if you share just a megabyte of it, you can be charged with distributing copyrighted material, which is a crime.

Even though one does not use torrents. The downloaders are still directly partaking on the unauthorized one way exchange. By doing this people are supporting those who do in fact distribute copyrighted material.
04-29-2013, 11:54 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(04-29-2013, 11:54 PM)Danny Boy Wrote: Even though one does not use torrents. The downloaders are still directly partaking on the unauthorized one way exchange. By doing this people are supporting those who do in fact distribute copyrighted material.

Supporting in what way? Distributing copyrighted material is not a lucrative business, unless it is bootlegging which does steal money away from the creators.
04-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Never said it was. But lets be honest. If people stopped to download pirated content from sites like Piratebay. You think they would be kept online? So yeah even though its not a lucrative business. Every downloader does in fact support the existence of such sites.
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2013, 12:05 AM by Danny Boy.)
04-30-2013, 12:03 AM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Not a chance. But what exactly is your point? The sites are up because people pirate, not the other way around. Before the internet, more "innocent" ways of distributing copyrighted material were used. Yet, nobody has ever been fined or sent to jail for giving a burned movie they legally bought to their friends. Neither has somebody who received such a disc been fined/sent to jail. The difference is only in the number of people. The activity remains largely unchanged in principle.

EDIT: Anyway, this is getting to be very tedious. Call it a draw (like always)?
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2013, 12:09 AM by Bridge.)
04-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

The thing I am against (no matter if it is illegal or not) is to enjoy someone elses property (or copy of property) without permission (a permission you earn by buying said copy) to do so. If every pirate out there was ready to pay up for the enjoyment they leech upon, the game industry would be 3 times bigger and innovative than it is today. I don't care if it's legal to copy a product I make, I DO care if people unrightfully enjoy (or use) something I make without my permission to do so, and I think a law is needed to regulate that.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 04-30-2013, 12:11 AM by eliasfrost.)
04-30-2013, 12:10 AM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

All I am saying is that. If I go to the gaming business. Which I am planning to. It would be a pain in the ass not being able to buy bread because some guys uploaded the game to some website and people just so happen to prefer downloading it for free something I did not authorize instead of buying the game.
04-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(04-30-2013, 12:11 AM)Danny Boy Wrote: All I am saying is that. If I go to the gaming business. Which I am planning to. It would be a pain in the ass not being able to buy bread because some guys uploaded the game to some website and people just so happen to prefer downloading it for free something I did not authorize instead of buying the game.

+1

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
04-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Find