Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Some neat stuff on the level design of skyrim!
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Some neat stuff on the level design of skyrim!

Yes they have~
05-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

Is Skyrim a good RPG? Is it better than Gothic, Risen or The Witcher?
05-04-2013, 10:09 AM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

(05-04-2013, 10:09 AM)Googolplex Wrote: Is Skyrim a good RPG? Is it better than Gothic, Risen or The Witcher?

i haven't played the other games so i can't compare but personally i completely love skyrim. Some people get bored of it in like 1 hour while some people like me have more than 200 hours done and are still excited to play it.

I love the snowy atmosphere, the music, the lore and once you're done with quests (which will take you a lot of time since there's almost infinite amount of them) there are plently of very good mods to keep you playing.

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2013, 10:42 AM by Nice.)
05-04-2013, 10:41 AM
Find
Sarcophagus Offline

Threads: 8

Skyrim right now is probably the biggest RPG

Anyway I've read somewhere that The Witcher 3 will be even bigger..?

Species come and go, but the Earth stands forever fast.
05-04-2013, 10:46 AM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

I'd say Skyrim is defniately among the better RPG's, however I'd suggest rather playing Morrowind or Oblivion instead, Skyrim lacked depth.
05-04-2013, 01:02 PM
Find
Acies Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 60

(05-04-2013, 10:09 AM)Googolplex Wrote: Is Skyrim a good RPG? Is it better than Gothic, Risen or The Witcher?
I guess it's down to personal preference. I must say that I liked The Witcher more, it felt as if the choices I made as a player mattered more upon impacting "the world". I'm a sucker for the boss music as well:

To answer your first question: Yes, skyrim is a good RPG. I would definately recommend it if you haven't played it - but it, being what it is, caters best to players who put a heavy focus on exploring new environments and locations (it's less "personal" than a smaller/linear game). Since it's such a large game, it's (as described in the article) a lot of quantity with quality (unique work) in selected places.

[Image: mZiYnxe.png]

05-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Yes, The Witcher 3 will be 40-times bigger than TW2 I red.
I definitely will buy Skyrim too, when there will be a gold edition with all patches and addons for 10 euros. I doubt it will be better than all the RPGs I know, but perhaps it is good too. There are very much elements I totally dislike, but I think Skyrim is worth to get a try.
(This post was last modified: 05-04-2013, 02:11 PM by Googolplex.)
05-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Skyrim is good, but like Traggey said: it lacks depth. I don't know about you guys but for me the whole game felt like a checklist run, you can do everything, be anything and go anywhere anytime anywhere, no restrictions (except a few rather meaningless instances and one pseudomajor) depending on your race, class and faction, so it all got a bit unresponsive in a way, it felt flat and uninteresting, because nothing you do actually impact anything or close you off from other parts of the game.

And that's the reason why I love Morrowind and New Vegas, you make choices - Real choices and for every character you make, things will be different, in Skyrim it made no difference when you started a new character, after a few hours it's all the same as last time.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
05-04-2013, 02:20 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(05-04-2013, 01:02 PM)Traggey Wrote: I'd say Skyrim is defniately among the better RPG's, however I'd suggest rather playing Morrowind or Oblivion instead, Skyrim lacked depth.

Oblivion is the best thing ever. Big Grin

^(;,;)^
05-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

I saw now the GOTY-Edition of Skyrim will be released soon with all addons included. But where we talking about Game Design of Skyrim, read here my critics of what I see of the game:

Without to have the game played yet, I want to briefly list some things that do not please me by sight and also prevent me from buying it. 

1. Character choice: 
A Role-playing common "feature", but that ruined the credibility and immersion. So you can not empathize with the character, because he has no authenticity. He's just a person himself, assembled by the player, so is losing any kind of seriousness. Rather than assume the role of a specific predetermined person can determine his race and appearance itself, by menu selection. Not only that this personality is lost, but you might as well determine the race and therefore is omitted (presumably) the opportunity later to join a race or to become a member. Please correct if I'm wrong here, but I just want to be a given, neutral, and not that the game itself as a "game" represented by one can adjust everything in his taste. A fun-element that tarnishes the immersion, while you can not take seriously the story from the beginning - because the character is missing. By individual design using the menu, the character then also has no features that characterize it and contribute to the atmosphere. I do not want to play anything I want to play a particular person, namely, which is predetermined by the game. The only way is for me a plausible story and I can empathize with them. Because it's just like you are. 

2. Dialogues:
 Am I correct that you as a player has no voice? In conversations with other NPCs, you can select only one question in text form, but it does not speak himself, but the other NPC begins directly respond. This also applies to all other records where the character has had no voice. Seems to me not very well done. Gothic already 12 years ago had a full synchronization and if one is accustomed again, I do not like to give myself satisfied with "worse". It must also be said that the style of language is very poor spoken. The dialogues include any form of expression that could be a part of the atmosphere. It seems to me as if all peace-joy-egg cake, and no trace of emotion in the dialogues! 

3. First Person & Interface:
There are definitely games where this perspective fits well, such as in Amnesia. However, this view bothers me in a role play. Although you can switch to 3rd person, but a storeroom option makes the principle of existence does not always equal good again. Since then there is no easy to epic, if you can change and customize everything as well as the HUD, where I will have no indicators on the screen to dive the best possible way. Mini Map, life displays and other symbols or overlays should not only be present in the optimal case. For me, it then acts always as "typical game" and nothing serious. I am also disrupt such elements on the screen immersion in a world. 

4. Too much magic:
 When I look at gameplay videos, I can only see the two hands of the character, which burned in a fire ball or other magical effects every "enemy". Very special demands on the style of the weapons since I have especially in a medieval viking RPG, such magical effects Bang Boom absolutely not fit into the game, because they look so typical of fantasy RPG after. I would much rather subtle weapon like a sword or a weathered rusty ax. Not as big or enchanted, but pretty realistic. Otherwise the combat system and everything around it is not particularly interesting impression on me. I prefer playing games with strong niche vision are implemented credibly build up slowly and waive all-possible gimmicks. 

I'm considering whether I should buy me the GOTY edition because the big world does make a wonderful impression on me, but I can not absolutely the above things combined with my interests. Because I'm very picky when it comes to games and play only what is truly unique and very good. I know that Skyrim is not better or equivalent like Gothic, Risen or The Witcher (which I bought recently), but I do not expect. But I want to give Skyrim another chance, because otherwise I can count only on what I've seen. Possibly. what can anyone say to my criticisms here. Because represent Skyrim as the best RPG I consider grossly exaggerated. Just the success does not tell how good a game is. I would appreciate if someone here as a fan of the game, you could say something. Because I think without the four points raised, Skyrim could really be a good game.
05-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Find