Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thomas, 2008-06-18, "Character version 2.0"
Thomas Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 184
RE: Thomas, 2008-06-18, "Character version 2.0"

nackidno:

Soon hopefully. Now that Requiem is released things are back on full speed with the new engine and game.
08-31-2008, 05:52 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Very nice. It's good to see a game developer that is not an arrogant ***. I have some experience. Wink

It's quite funny that's it's often new developer, but Frictional seems to be an exception? *haha Big Grin

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
08-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Find
dragonmaster Offline

Threads: 17

Hey look at that! Was that soft shadowing i saw in that video?

I like horror games but not the ones that give u nightmares :P
But i like the ones that give you an urge to open every door and drawer that you see for a month :D
09-12-2008, 05:52 AM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Yes. That is soft shadows. Told ya. Wink

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
09-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Find
Tommy Gun Offline

Threads: 26

lookin good.

Not an image
09-12-2008, 06:58 AM
Find
noctislp Offline

Threads: 0

Is it possible to download HPL2 Level Editor? I can't see way to...
09-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Find
WindexGlow Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 70

Hehe, HPL2 (the engine) hasn't even been finished, or anywhere close to it yet. The level editor isn't even finished by any means yet!

HPL1 (the engine Energetic, 2006 Tech Demo, Overture, Black Plague, and Requirem uses) is what powers the penumbra games. There is no level editor for it, instead you must use a Modeling Program (such as 3dmax or Maya) however both of those are rather expensive. The problem is, I don't know if there are any free-ware programs that support Collada, a plugin that lets you export your scenes as DAE which HPL1 will read. (Btw, collada .86 is the version the devs used with Maya 7.0)

The level editor will probably be released several months after Lux Tenebras (their up-coming codenamed game, to be released in 2009 or an unlikely 2010) is released. This seems to follow their current style of releasing modding tools after the game has been released. *cough overture cough*

HPL1 does have some tools though, but they won't do anything you couldnt do in notepad.
HPLhelper.exe is a nice little tool, that does 5 things.
1: Adds folders so HPL1 knows where files might be. If the folder isn't added, than penumbra won't check there, freeing up resources.
2: Scene Viewer: Will view the scene with HPL rendering, including sounds and physics. The script will not run in this state though.
3: Model Viewer: This will view invidual models, applying both sound and physics to it. As an added bonus, you can play with the model (thing of your mouse having an elastic string attached to it and the model. It's rather fun, especially with bodies!)
4: Material Editor: I haven't messed with this, but I believe it will determine what sounds are played when an object hits it, when you walk on it, and so fourth.
5: Sound Editor: I haven't played with this either, but will determine the various properties of sounds. Does it loop, does it go through blocked objects, and so fourth.
PlarticleEditor.exe allows you to create particles (fire, as an example). It is very straight forward, filled with a few bugs, but overall very easy. It even has a primitive particle-collision, however it is not recommended to use this.

One of the things the HPLhelper doensn't help you with is model-properties. How much it weights, what the bones do and their limitation, and so fourth.

Hopefully we're given the same (if not improved) tools in the Level Editor in HPL2. Until than,w e can only spam the forum in a hope it will do something constructive.

Please -REP me.
Honestly, please do. I want to see how low I can go!!
Ignore that error message too. Just ignore it and keep going to give me -rep.
09-22-2008, 04:48 AM
Find
noctislp Offline

WindexGlow Wrote:Hehe, HPL2 (the engine) hasn't even been finished, or anywhere close to it yet. The level editor isn't even finished by any means yet!

HPL1 (the engine Energetic, 2006 Tech Demo, Overture, Black Plague, and Requirem uses) is what powers the penumbra games. There is no level editor for it, instead you must use a Modeling Program (such as 3dmax or Maya) however both of those are rather expensive. The problem is, I don't know if there are any free-ware programs that support Collada, a plugin that lets you export your scenes as DAE which HPL1 will read. (Btw, collada .86 is the version the devs used with Maya 7.0)

The level editor will probably be released several months after Lux Tenebras (their up-coming codenamed game, to be released in 2009 or an unlikely 2010) is released. This seems to follow their current style of releasing modding tools after the game has been released. *cough overture cough*

HPL1 does have some tools though, but they won't do anything you couldnt do in notepad.
HPLhelper.exe is a nice little tool, that does 5 things.
1: Adds folders so HPL1 knows where files might be. If the folder isn't added, than penumbra won't check there, freeing up resources.
2: Scene Viewer: Will view the scene with HPL rendering, including sounds and physics. The script will not run in this state though.
3: Model Viewer: This will view invidual models, applying both sound and physics to it. As an added bonus, you can play with the model (thing of your mouse having an elastic string attached to it and the model. It's rather fun, especially with bodies!)
4: Material Editor: I haven't messed with this, but I believe it will determine what sounds are played when an object hits it, when you walk on it, and so fourth.
5: Sound Editor: I haven't played with this either, but will determine the various properties of sounds. Does it loop, does it go through blocked objects, and so fourth.
PlarticleEditor.exe allows you to create particles (fire, as an example). It is very straight forward, filled with a few bugs, but overall very easy. It even has a primitive particle-collision, however it is not recommended to use this.

One of the things the HPLhelper doensn't help you with is model-properties. How much it weights, what the bones do and their limitation, and so fourth.

Hopefully we're given the same (if not improved) tools in the Level Editor in HPL2. Until than,w e can only spam the forum in a hope it will do something constructive.

OH! I can't believe I missed that! Ok, is there any way I can download HPL1?
09-23-2008, 04:21 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

I don't think so...

09-23-2008, 06:46 AM
Website Find
chrissx2 Offline