Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just wondering if its possible to do this?
serbusfish Offline

Threads: 75
Just wondering if its possible to do this?

I was thinking of a scenario where you enter a section which is flooded in a way that means you cant descend some stairs to access the next level door, so you need to find a way to drain the water from the level, then once its gone you can go down the stairs and proceed to the next level.

Can this be done? I would have thought it could as in the base game you enter a corridor that isnt flooded which then becomes flooded, so surely it can work the other way around?

(This post was last modified: 05-06-2013, 01:49 AM by serbusfish.)
05-06-2013, 01:46 AM
Find
Tomato Cat Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Just wondering if its possible to do this?

Yeah, I think it can be done. Try playing around with SetEntityActive a bit.

*edit*

Misread the question, sorry.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2013, 02:37 AM by Tomato Cat.)
05-06-2013, 01:50 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

I'm not a scripting expert (quite far from it, actually), but I know this was done in A:TDD; if my memory serves me right, it was done in the cistern level. Open up the map in the level editor and the .hps in notepad++ (or your choice of scripting program). They were pretty awesome and wrote notes about what each of the components did in most of their scripting files, so you should be able to find it fairly easily.

Good luck! :)

Edit: In case you're not familiar with the engine scripts, here's a list of them http://wiki.frictionalgames.com/hpl2/amn..._functions

What all that stuff means:
ab[insert another word here]: looking for a bool. In script, you would type "true" or "false" without the quotations
string: usually the name of the script, area, entity, lever, light, etc, written in quotations (eg "PointLight_25")
float or af[insert word here]: A numerical value with decimal places. 1.0 is a float, 1 is not

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2013, 01:55 AM by CarnivorousJelly.)
05-06-2013, 01:51 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

You could create something like a flooded stairway. Just place a blockbox with a script_area saying he can't go there because it's flooded. The player has to drain this (Like turning a valve) in another room. So when it's turned, it'll deactivate the blockbox, water, and the script_area. The scripting won't be too hard, but you can always ask if you don't understand!
05-06-2013, 01:55 AM
Find
serbusfish Offline

Threads: 75

Ah that's great, thanks a lot guys! I will have a go at the scripting and see if I can get it working, ive only been doing it since January/February though so i've still got a lot to learn.

05-06-2013, 02:19 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

(05-06-2013, 02:19 AM)serbusfish Wrote: Ah that's great, thanks a lot guys! I will have a go at the scripting and see if I can get it working, ive only been doing it since January/February though so i've still got a lot to learn.

This should help you along the way Wink
05-06-2013, 02:22 AM
Find