Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If I bought the retail version, is the serial key stored in my redist folder or DVD ?
Petike Offline

Threads: 35
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago Exclamation  If I bought the retail version, is the serial key stored in my redist folder or DVD ?

I feel really silly now. I bought the retail version of Amnesia way back in autumn 2011. Since then, I didn't need to uninstall the game.

Due to interest in the Justine DLC and wanting to patch my game up to version 1.2, I've installed said DLC. Everything went swimmingly, but then I ran into an unexpected problem : I can't find the serial number sticker anywhere on the box (inside or outside) or on the DVD envelope. Undecided The distributor of the specific retail version that I own is a Czech company (topcd.cz, IIRC). Why didn't they put the serial on a proper sticker ?! Dodgy Sad

The only file that I had high hopes for at first was a text document in the redist folder, labelled "password". I had my doubts, but I tried putting in the combination. Didn't work, so I guess it's probably the one for that concept art zip file.

Since I didn't find a single sticker and that password was not a serial, could anyone please give me advice on where I could still find it ? Where do you think I could still look for it ? Is it in some other file in the redist folder of the game or directly on the installation DVD ? Huh

In short, I need tips on where I could still search for that serial key of mine. Or should I just uninstall the entirety of Amnesia and start anew, hopefully learning the serial code again this time ? I'm annoyed now that I didn't write it down when I installed the game nearly two years ago.

I think a similar problem had occured at least once, with a Polish member of the forum and his local retailer.

I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds a lot like my dilemma.

I'll try to search the DVD and redist folder once more. If that fails, I might try and contact the retailer. And if that fails... Well, no Justine DLC for me, then... Sad Confused

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2013, 01:54 AM by Petike.)
06-01-2013, 01:37 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: If I bought the retail version, is the serial key stored in my redist folder or DVD ?

That's odd. Maybe check your email?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
06-01-2013, 02:08 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72
Solved: 8 Years, 1 Month ago RE: If I bought the retail version, is the serial key stored in my redist folder or DVD ?

(06-01-2013, 02:08 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: That's odd. Maybe check your email?

He got it through retail, which means in a store, not online. Therefore, there'd be no email.

EDIT: Go to "C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/My Documents/Amnesia" And check if there's a file labelled "installkey". If it's there, open it in notepad and it should have your serial number inside. Copy and paste it where specified for Justine.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2013, 02:18 AM by Statyk.)
06-01-2013, 02:14 AM
Find
Petike Offline

(06-01-2013, 02:08 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: That's odd. Maybe check your email?

Indeed it is.

Well, I've written to the retailer's helpdesk e-mail. We'll probably just have to wait and see.

Bottom line : I'm not sure whether the game even asked me for a serial code when I installed it the first time a year and a half ago. The logical answer would be yes, but truth be told, it's been so long I myself don't remember. Sad

What I worry about the most is that if I uninstall Amnesia now completely, I might not even be able to reinstall the vanilla version. Sad There's still one last hope : I could return my computer settings to how they were prior to when I installed the DLC. That could help fixing the Amnesia install, eliminating the DLC files and making me able to play at least the vanilla game in case I might never get the DLC working.

This is what happens when retailers and publishers don't communicate well together. I hate it when retailers make up incompatable new serials, if that's the case. Sad

But I'll wait for the company helpdesk's answer first. If that fails, then I'll try plan B - reverting the settings.

(06-01-2013, 02:14 AM)Statyk Wrote: He got it through retail, which means in a store, not online. Therefore, there'd be no email.

Precisely.

(06-01-2013, 02:14 AM)Statyk Wrote: EDIT: Go to "C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/My Documents/Amnesia" And check if there's a file labelled "installkey". If it's there, open it in notepad and it should have your serial number inside. Copy and paste it where specified for Justine.

Good idea, but it unfortunately didn't help. I didn't find anything like that in there. Just the usual player profile folder, saves and configs.

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2013, 02:22 AM by Petike.)
06-01-2013, 02:18 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

Read my post above if you haven't seen it

Check around in the documents folder. Your best bet is somewhere in there. I have the Steam version, so I don't think I have that file. But I did buy the Penumbra Collection through FG's store and it has an installkey file, so I figured it'd be similar to that.
(This post was last modified: 06-01-2013, 02:25 AM by Statyk.)
06-01-2013, 02:19 AM
Find
Petike Offline

Well, it would seem logical.

I do hope they weren't that dumb that they put the serial key sticker of my retail version on the envelope it was delivered in. That would be just beyond stupid. Dodgy

You know what, I'm going to try reverting my Windows settings. Just to see if this solution works and can revert the DLC install. There's nothing to lose with it at this point, even if the helpedsk replies to me with a reasonable solution for this whole DLC debacle. Undecided I'll be back in a few minutes.

OK, it has actually succeeded. Big Grin

But in a very weird way.

It seems that the new exe, new launcher and other new files had probably not been erased. The game itself is playable, but the Czech language localization of the GUI and HUD seems to be gone. But, frankly, I expected something like that to happen, given that the DLC has its texts in English, not in Czech. I think there might be a Czech language version of the DLC, but I forgot to check up until now.

Though, in any case, it isn't asking for the serial key. At least for now. I'm still not really satisfied with how things went. I'll wait for the retailer's answer and once I'm sure I can uninstall the game completely and do a clean install for both the vanilla version and the DLC, I'll do so. Until then, I'll avoid playing the game for longer amounts of time and avoid playing custom stories. The existing problems with the DLC's compatibility are bad enough. I don't need to add to them even further... Sad

(This post was last modified: 06-01-2013, 02:46 AM by Petike.)
06-01-2013, 02:31 AM
Find