Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Particle systems on Water Lurker
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26
Particle systems on Water Lurker

I'm trying to create a custom water lurker that is basically a mist lurker. I made a custom particle, an edited version of the fog particle, turning it red. Then added that to the "move/run" particles for my custom monster. In game, the particle works fine and is created as he moves.

2 problems arise here. The first, and most important, is trying to figure out how to make each particle fade away after it's created. Currently each one stays and makes him look like a big red worm getting longer and longer. (An interesting idea for a monster in and of itself, Penumbra worm redux if you will, but not what I'm trying to do here)

The other problem, which isn't a big deal, is that the effect gets created in bunches, meaning each time a new fog ball is made, it just pops in ahead of the last. I'd like it to look as much like a "moving" fog as possible. I'm sure there's some way I can achieve this, but it's not as important as the first problem.

Thank you, and sorry for constantly asking questions here.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
06-11-2013, 05:21 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Particle systems on Water Lurker

(06-11-2013, 05:21 AM)DeAngelo Wrote: I'm trying to create a custom water lurker that is basically a mist lurker. I made a custom particle, an edited version of the fog particle, turning it red. Then added that to the "move/run" particles for my custom monster. In game, the particle works fine and is created as he moves.

2 problems arise here. The first, and most important, is trying to figure out how to make each particle fade away after it's created. Currently each one stays and makes him look like a big red worm getting longer and longer. (An interesting idea for a monster in and of itself, Penumbra worm redux if you will, but not what I'm trying to do here)

The other problem, which isn't a big deal, is that the effect gets created in bunches, meaning each time a new fog ball is made, it just pops in ahead of the last. I'd like it to look as much like a "moving" fog as possible. I'm sure there's some way I can achieve this, but it's not as important as the first problem.

Thank you, and sorry for constantly asking questions here.

Try to replicate what FG did on the Cells. When
Spoiler below!
the Shadow is chasing you,
they looked like a red mist.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
06-11-2013, 05:38 AM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

(06-11-2013, 05:38 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Try to replicate what FG did on the Cells. When
Spoiler below!
the Shadow is chasing you,
they looked like a red mist.

Wasn't that just a scripted chase sequence with particle effects? It's been forever since I played, but I think that was just a "run away" moment done with particle effects. I need a dynamic system that roams around a large room looking for you while you attempt to find some items to get the door open. I will however look through the HPS file for the cells to see if I'm correct.

Oh and I tried just putting the particle system on the entity itself, but it doesn't show up in-game. Poo.

06-11-2013, 05:41 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Why didn't you just put a red particle then set it to a waterlurker? It may work.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
06-11-2013, 05:45 AM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

Attaching the Particle to the entity should work, I think Damascus at one point got a Suitor covered in Electricity Particles.

You'll have to edit the Particle (If you haven't already) to make sure any values need to be adjusted and things like it repeating are on.
06-11-2013, 05:51 AM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

(06-11-2013, 05:45 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Why didn't you just put a red particle then set it to a waterlurker? It may work.

I tried that first. It crashes the level editor. I think it's because it has no body.

However, I edited the Wood Break particle, removed the part of the wood splinters leaving only the dust, made it red, now it fades. There's probably a setting somewhere in that particle editor, but at least this works. he still "juts" forward but that's fine. Now I just need to find some good sounds for his movement and maybe figure out how to make a custom splash screen for damage since the slash ones don't fit.

Thanks though Smile

(06-11-2013, 05:51 AM)Rapture Wrote: Attaching the Particle to the entity should work, I think Damascus at one point got a Suitor covered in Electricity Particles.

You'll have to edit the Particle (If you haven't already) to make sure any values need to be adjusted and things like it repeating are on.

How does one attach a particle system to an entity? Water lurker has no joints so I dunno if I can. I know I could attach it to a grunt/brute/suitor but they don't behave like a lurker and that's the behavior I need.

Edit: I tried giving the water lurker a body, then attaching the particle to that, but in-game I just see the particle sitting there not moving, even when he's inactive (not even possible to activate him at that point)

Things are working adequately right now. I just need to slow him down a bit (I want him to follow you but not as fast as the lurker does) and all will be good. Took me months but I'm almost done with this damn custom story.

(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013, 06:08 AM by DeAngelo.)
06-11-2013, 05:54 AM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

If you want to attach a particle system to a monster, you'll have to attach it to a bone.

Edit: Not even sure if you wanted to know that..
(This post was last modified: 06-11-2013, 04:31 PM by OriginalUsername.)
06-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

(06-11-2013, 04:29 PM)Smoke Wrote: If you want to attach a particle system to a monster, you'll have to attach it to a bone.

Edit: Not even sure if you wanted to know that..

I figured as much. And unfortunately the water lurker has no bones, poor guy.

06-13-2013, 12:58 AM
Find