Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"FATAL ERROR" when trying to launch MY custom story
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: "FATAL ERROR" when trying to launch MY custom story

Hey Computer, i've always wondered, if i may ask, how come your answers are that accurate?
Is it your mere power of observation or you have some sort of access to that info?

07-23-2013, 01:10 AM
Find
TheGreatCthulhu Offline

Threads: 10

Until he answers I can shed some light: I don't think he has special access to some info that is unavailable to the rest of us, I think it's based on exploration, messing around with the game, and his programming knowledge and skills (in the sense that, knowing how software is made, he can probably make some inferences from observing how the game behaves or what error messages it prints out).

Take, for example, what he said in his last post to this thread: although he may have come to the conclusions in a different way, you can infer, and maybe after some "targeted" testing (by messing around with files and directories) reach the same conclusions if you look at the error output that has been posted:
[...]

ERROR: Unable to open config file 'custom_stories/tenebrislake_config/custom_story_settings.cfg'! Invalid filepointer returned!
Error creating custom story from path
"custom_stories/tenebrislake_config" : could not find
custom_story_settings.cfg file or it was invalid.

ERROR: Unable to open config file 'custom_stories/tenebrislake_graphics/custom_story_settings.cfg'!
Invalid filepointer returned!
Error creating custom story from path
"custom_stories/tenebrislake_graphics" : could not find
custom_story_settings.cfg file or it was invalid.

ERROR: Unable to open config file 'custom_stories/tenebrislake_gui/custom_story_settings.cfg'! Invalid filepointer returned!
Error creating custom story from path "custom_stories/tenebrislake_gui" :
could not find custom_story_settings.cfg file or it was invalid.

[...]

Of course, this is only a part, but see how it seams that the game simply goes from one directory to the next and tries to find/open one and the same file (custom_story_settings.cfg)?

So, although error messages and logs such as these may seem really cryptic and scary - if you take time to try to understand them they might provide some useful information (although, admittedly, interpreting them requires some skill, and some experience with programming can't hurt).
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2013, 02:07 AM by TheGreatCthulhu.)
07-23-2013, 02:05 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

(07-23-2013, 01:10 AM)Amn Wrote: Hey Computer, i've always wondered, if i may ask, how come your answers are that accurate?
Is it your mere power of observation or you have some sort of access to that info?

Experience in programming does help me understand a lot of what i see. It's pretty much what TheGreatCthulhu said. Most of the things i've informed people of in these forums they can figure it out themselves with time. I don't have any access to the game beyond what the regular consumer has.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
07-23-2013, 07:21 AM
Website Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

Yeah. That's what i thought. Ty.
I am a programmer as well, and i'm running into several dead-ends in hpl.
I was hoping there was another way to modify the game a little deeper.

You know how we modders gotta find new ways to impress the players.
But the lack of functions reminds us the kind of game this language was meant for.
Which is good, it's just i want to make something better.

You should take a look at the "systems" i had to make to achieve more functionality
in my last mod. (i'm about to upload the game trailer).
And you can tell me if you found a more efficient way, if you like, and i'll change it. ^^

07-23-2013, 01:06 PM
Find