Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.4 Average
Escape from Brackenburg
Tetrafish Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Escape from Brackenburg

Finished! I would definitely consider this a keeper (along with The Great Work). 5 Stars, or 8.5 out of 10.

If you asked for constructive criticism... In or near the beginning you start with your back to a dead end. Maybe if there were some type of door - to make the player think this is where you came from.... But I suppose the character could've ended up there from wherever they came from.

At first the story seems a bit generic (not necessarily bad - it has some good writing), but it gets pretty solid towards the end - especially in the 'shrine'.

There were a lot of boxes in this. Also a good share of closets... The closets - that's okay. I think I read in another post here someone saying something about lag...? Might've been due to too many boxes... I don't know. But with so many boxes the player might think "I'll put these all over the hall - just in case a monster starts to chase me!" A lot of objects did come in handy at one point in helping me get away from a Grunt. I'm not complaining about the boxes - my system can handle 'em, and they do give a certain feeling of insurance against monster chasing. Maybe you won't want the players to feel that comfortable...? Or you can keep them for the aesthetics.

------------------

Some more textures missing: The stairs to the East Hall door, the bannisters at the top of the stairs -you can see through them looking at them straight on.

In storage, in the large room near the lever... There are 2 walls on the sides (there are some pallets stacked vertically between them) they don't go all the way to the ceiling (which might be how you want them), but they're invisible on the top - probably from being very thin.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2013, 11:39 PM by Tetrafish.)
06-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Find
serbusfish Offline

Threads: 75
RE: Escape from Brackenburg

(06-19-2013, 03:22 PM)Tetrafish Wrote: Finished! I would definitely consider this a keeper (along with The Great Work). 5 Stars, or 8.5 out of 10.

If you asked for constructive criticism... In or near the beginning you start with your back to a dead end. Maybe if there were some type of door - to make the player think this is where you came from.... But I suppose the character could've ended up there from wherever they came from.

At first the story seems a bit generic (not necessarily bad - it has some good writing), but it gets pretty solid towards the end - especially in the 'shrine'.

There were a lot of boxes in this. Also a good share of closets... The closets - that's okay. I think I read in another post here someone saying something about lag...? Might've been due to too many boxes... I don't know. But with so many boxes the player might think "I'll put these all over the hall - just in case a monster starts to chase me!" A lot of objects did come in handy at one point in helping me get away from a Grunt. I'm not complaining about the boxes - my system can handle 'em, and they do give a certain feeling of insurance against monster chasing. Maybe you won't want the players to feel that comfortable...? Or you can keep them for the aesthetics.

------------------

Some more textures missing: The stairs to the East Hall door, the bannisters at the top of the stairs -you can see through them looking at them straight on.

In storage, in the large room near the lever... There are 2 walls on the sides (there are some pallets stacked vertically between them) they don't go all the way to the ceiling (which might be how you want them), but they're invisible on the top - probably from being very thin.

Thanks, glad you liked it Smile

Ok first of all:

Spoiler below!

that first level is a nightmare the player is having after taking the amnesia potion, hence no door. You first 'see' images from your time in the dungeons (the torture victims) then you are chased through a maze of generic passages (purposefully done as its a dream) til you reach the end door, then you wake up.

As it was my first CS I didnt want to do anything too ambitious, I just wanted to make a nice scary story using the original amnesia assets (and a few cheeky extra sounds just to change things up a bit).

You know all the time ive been playing Amnesia ive never once thought to scatter boxes around to slow down enemies! So my reasoning for putting them in was a) for aesthetics, and b) its the storage so naturally there is going to be things stored Smile.

It seems very few people have had performance issues though, one guy on moddb said his PC was pretty terrible but it still ran ok for him, if a lot of people had lag I was planning on releasing a 'lite' version with reduced boxes and particle effects but I no longer think its necessary.

-----------------------------------

Thanks for the heads up on those errors, despite all the time spent messing with these levels changing, tweaking and testing you somehow end up missing the most obvious problems! I have just fix the errors you mentioned and will release a patch 1.02 at some point soon which will also fix the issue with the padlock in the Dungeon among a few other things.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I really appreciate it, I just wish I had known about this stuff when I released the files for beta testing!

EDIT: Will release new patch tomorrow (Thursday) as ive just finished making the relevant changes.

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2013, 03:22 AM by serbusfish.)
06-20-2013, 01:55 AM
Find