Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need help please. =/
mychinima00 Offline

Threads: 1
Shocked  Need help please. =/

I'm not 100% sure if I'm in the right forum for help but I felt just as unsure about the other ones as I do this one so here I am. I've browsed the internet looking for solutions to my problem and after the failures I've been through I decided to take it into my own hands and ask other Custom Story Devs about it. I wanted to mess around with HPL2 and maybe make my own custom story to see how creative I could get so I went to the Frictional Games Wiki, downloaded the file, and extracted the contents to the redist file in my main Amnesia: TDD folder (I have the retail edition, also let it be known that I had been using a walkthrough on how to set everything up until I hit my problem). After going into the "custom_stories" folder, creating my own folder inside (which I had named testing), I then created added all the necessary files needed inside. (Like having a map name which was named "maps," the custom_story_settings.cfg, and the extra_english.lang file. To my knowledge there weren't any other necessary editions to that, save for what you put into those three items). Seeing that all that was done I went to launch the level_editor.exe placed inside the redist folder with all the other necessary files to run Amnesia. The program opens and runs fine and will sit open as though it was perfect but for whatever reason a large portion of the application is off screen and I can't see that area. I tried to move the screen but once I do a window appears telling me that the level_editor.exe has stopped working and it closes. I've also tried to re-size the screen but nothing works. If I click away from the level editor (if I were to click on the desktop, for example) and then click back it also has the same problem.
I would LIKE to take a screen shot but it's not happening. So I'll explain exactly what is being said on my screen.
-The application states that I am looking at an unnamed map because I haven't saved the project yet of course.
-There are two boxes that pop up after I try to move the screen.
1) "LevelEditor.exe has stopped working" and then that windows is looking for a solution, it scans a bit, fails, and then tells me to close the program with no further help.
2) A small box that says "retrieving and analyzing crash data..." then it says that It is looking for the reason of crashing. A small bar below that says "updating..." and gets to about 30%, stops, and then sits there forever or until I close the program.
(As an added oddity, I can't close the program WITHOUT crashing it or forcibly shutting it down with task manager or something like it. Hitting the "x" in the corner does nothing)
Additional information about my PC.
-I have a windows 7 laptop which I have owned for less than a year.
-I have an intel i5 processor
-my graphics card is a nVIDIA GeForce GT 640

P.S.
I noticed that for some reason my hard drive space has dropped to 1.7 GB out of 447 GB in the past two days for unknown reasons. I'm going to fix this but I am wondering if that is the issue.

---Conclusion!---
Sorry if that was really long (TLDR and what not)! If you read all of it thanks! If you have anything to say that could be helpful Double Thanks! If you actually know what is wrong you are the supreme commander of the universe and stuff! Hope you guys know what's what, please respond. Thank you. =) I'm not really going to proof read this so if you see any weird grammatical errors just ignore it please. =/
06-19-2013, 04:29 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Need help please. =/

Move the screen? I think you mean the application. Hmm, this is hard.

I have some solutions for you. Just some for some of your problems.
Spoiler below!

Q1 : As an added oddity, I can't close the
program WITHOUT crashing it or forcibly shutting it down with task
manager or something like it. Hitting the "x" in the corner does nothing.

A1: Click File > Exit

Q2 : a large portion of the application is off screen and I can't see that area.

A2: You have to resize the Level Editor through the cfg / any other programs.

A2 - A: Go to My Documents/HPL2/ and click the LevelEditor.cfg. You should find the resolution. Change it until you can see it.
A2 - B: Download this.

This is all that I can fix. Hopefully someone else will help you.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
06-19-2013, 04:36 AM
Find
mychinima00 Offline

(06-19-2013, 04:36 AM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Move the screen? I think you mean the application. Hmm, this is hard.

I have some solutions for you. Just some for some of your problems.
Spoiler below!

Q1 : As an added oddity, I can't close the
program WITHOUT crashing it or forcibly shutting it down with task
manager or something like it. Hitting the "x" in the corner does nothing.

A1: Click File > Exit

Q2 : a large portion of the application is off screen and I can't see that area.

A2: You have to resize the Level Editor through the cfg / any other programs.

A2 - A: Go to My Documents/HPL2/ and click the LevelEditor.cfg. You should find the resolution. Change it until you can see it.
A2 - B: Download this.

This is all that I can fix. Hopefully someone else will help you.

First of thank!
Second off yes I mean the application. XP
File > Exit = Duh, my mistake.
I will try the Enhancer and I'm sure that it will help in the future. =)
I also found that my pc was mistaking the size of many files on my pc.
It was claiming Chivalry (a game on steam) to be 120 GB big, which is absurd.
(This post was last modified: 06-19-2013, 04:56 AM by mychinima00.)
06-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Wait, check the log. Go to
C:\Users\<YOURUSERNAME>\My Documents\HPL2\

There should be a LevelEditor.log. Copy-paste the contents here.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
06-19-2013, 05:04 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

(06-19-2013, 04:55 AM)mychinima00 Wrote: File > Exit = Duh, my mistake.

Also, if you want to use the keyboard shortcut, it'll be alt+F4 or Esc :)

About the screenshots... It's better to take these in game because the grid, axes, area borders, billboard thumb-tacks, particle system "PS", and the light-bulb shaped symbol for lights won't show up. You'll just see the effects.

You can load your map in-game by bringing up the development window (F1 once you have a develpment environment set up). Just make sure you have a player start area somewhere on your map before doing this. If you don't, Daniel will just fall off the edge of the map (or miss the map entirely) and, when you respawn, you'll end up in a loop of dying without time to bring up the pause menu.

As for the level editor crashing, it does that to me all the time and the "analyzing crash data" box rarely ever reaches anything past 30%. Just restart the application and don't press the button that triggered the crash. For example, if hitting 7 to bring up the entities caused a crash, click on the entity button instead, after loading it the first time, you can go back to pushing buttons)

Also, for future reference, support questions should be posted in the development support section to keep the forum organized and the moderators happy :p

Hopefully I covered everything :D If not, feel free to pester me some more - and welcome to the forum!

Also, when you paste the log, put it in spoilers like this, but without the *:
[*spoiler]
Level Editor Log
[*/spoiler]

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
06-19-2013, 05:31 AM
Find
Plank Offline

Sorry but I can't think of anything except reinstalling it that's what I did when it broke for me

does everything taste like chicken or
does chicken taste like everything?
06-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

(06-22-2013, 11:10 PM)m0shiman Wrote: Sorry but I can't think of anything except reinstalling it that's what I did when it broke for me

Re-installing isn't always the only option.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
06-23-2013, 01:59 AM
Find
Plank Offline

I agree but I tried everything and it was the only thing that worked

does everything taste like chicken or
does chicken taste like everything?
06-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Find