Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Alpha maps in HPL2
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5
Alpha maps in HPL2

Hey,

I'm looking to gain some insight into why the alpha maps are a bit hard to get working in the HPL2 engine. Anyone got some hints or suggestions?

My model is completely opaque when 90% black on the alpha map should probably a generally transparent model, of course.

Thanks,

Jeff

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
06-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74
RE: Alpha maps in HPL2

Because HPL2, it doesn't work properly in the engine. If you have a look at things like the spiderwebs and Alexanders hair you'll notice that they al look like glowing ghost textures, no can do there mate.
06-21-2013, 11:40 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

So, is there any solution I can use to make something like... Glass for instance?

It seems sort of ridiculous that I wouldn't be able to do something that simple.

I did a work around, so nevermind in the short run.

In the long run, if anyone has had success with it, it'd be nice to know how it was done. Thanks anyways.

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 06-22-2013, 12:01 AM by crisosphinx.)
06-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

As far as I know, The difference is between SolidDiffuse and Translucent. Soliddiffuse's alpha only allows for full transparency, or no transparency, even with a gradient in the alpha. Whereas Translucent allows for the alpha map to react according to the gradient, but does leave it emissive. It's ehhh.
06-22-2013, 08:16 AM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(06-22-2013, 08:16 AM)Statyk Wrote: As far as I know, The difference is between SolidDiffuse and Translucent. Soliddiffuse's alpha only allows for full transparency, or no transparency, even with a gradient in the alpha. Whereas Translucent allows for the alpha map to react according to the gradient, but does leave it emissive. It's ehhh.

I wasn't able to get full transparency or translucency. I haven't checked the "Translucent" material option, but I suppose it doesn't matter. I got the equivalent of what I was looking for through other means. Thank you for explaining that to me Statyk, perhaps if I do more with HPL2, I'll test that out later. Smile

06-22-2013, 03:49 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(06-21-2013, 11:44 PM)crisosphinx Wrote: So, is there any solution I can use to make something like... Glass for instance?

It seems sort of ridiculous that I wouldn't be able to do something that simple.

In the long run, if anyone has had success with it, it'd be nice to know how it was done. Thanks anyways.
For glass use transluent and alpha will be set to black. So you wanna have a black image and paint the scratches and dirt and whatever is on the window over it.
There might be other ways to do this but they[frictional] have done it like this at least a few times in amnesia so I thought I would just do it like so for now.
[Image: hEEqUvg.jpg]
06-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Spoiler below!

(06-22-2013, 04:01 PM)The Mug Wrote:
(06-21-2013, 11:44 PM)crisosphinx Wrote: So, is there any solution I can use to make something like... Glass for instance?

For glass use transluent and alpha will be set to black. So you wanna have a black image and paint the scratches and dirt and whatever is on the window over it.
There might be other ways to do this but they[frictional] have done it like this at least a few times in amnesia so I thought I would just do it like so for now.

Thanks Mug! I have an opaque object in the glass jar though, so the translucent material wouldn't necessarily work, correct?

I'll give it a try, none-the-less.

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2013, 06:07 PM by crisosphinx.)
06-22-2013, 06:06 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

(06-22-2013, 06:06 PM)crisosphinx Wrote:
Spoiler below!

Thanks Mug! I have an opaque object in the glass jar though, so the translucent material wouldn't necessarily work, correct?

dont you just need 2 different materials? one for the glass and one for the object?
06-22-2013, 06:15 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

(06-22-2013, 06:15 PM)The Mug Wrote:
(06-22-2013, 06:06 PM)crisosphinx Wrote:
Spoiler below!

dont you just need 2 different materials? one for the glass and one for the object?

Possibly, but you'd be able to make it work elsewhere, like udk.

06-22-2013, 06:17 PM
Find