Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Music Discussion thread
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Music Discussion thread

what

Posting Freak
07-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Website Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

completely unrelated

miley cyrus is actually good at singing, she's just bad at the things she does WHILE she's singing

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
07-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Find
i3670 Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 74

If we get the criteria from other people and are incapable of creating our own then that would mean that one could never change ones musical taste. Or am I rambling?

@DogFood. I have listened to a couple of albums of MC and I kind of agree with you it's just that she is lost in an ocean of "meh".

"What you think is irrelevant" - A character of our time

A Christmas Hunt
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2014, 03:56 PM by i3670.)
07-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

(07-07-2014, 03:10 PM)i3670 Wrote: @DogFood. I have listened to a couple of albums of MC and I kind of agree with you it's just that she is lost in an ocean of "meh".

ye im not saying she's a really good singer but she's not exactly bad either

also

with "good singing" i mean a good singing voice, the content of the song however is a completely different story

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
07-07-2014, 11:28 PM
Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

cultural standards for good music coupled with what kinds of music you're exposed to early on in life determine a lot of what you listen to and theres a good chance stuff you might otherwise enjoy you'll dislike on first listen due to those standards. its really not hard to push past that influence though but a lot of people that aren't as musically compelled that don't really want to take the effort to let stuff open up to them are most likely going to stick to more accessible music their whole life which is fine really

thats what im trying to say

Posting Freak
07-08-2014, 01:49 AM
Website Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I think anyone can enjoy every kind of music if given time. For example, I never really liked Tom Waits when I was a kid, I thought he simply sounded bad but in recent years he's grown on me and right now I can confidently say that Tom Waits changed my musical life for good, even though he still, by popular opinion and convention, sound like shit. It's something about his way of doing things that go well together with me, I can't pinpoint what it is but I simply love his work for what it is, and that's the important thing.

That said, it's nothing wrong with having personal taste. I was never really been exposed to popular music when I was younger, I mostly listened to my dad's record: jazz, blues, rock & roll and weird shit like Stockhausen (got nightmares from some of his work), it was not until later, around when I was about 16 or so that I started to actively care about popular music, and I like it for what it is. Still listen to the radio from time to time.

There are some kinds of music that I don't really like yet, or haven't gotten into entirely, like club music and DnB and stuff like that (even though my dad listen to that stuff every time I visit him, I'm convinced he listen to that stuff almost compulsively) but I'll probably like it someday, given some time.

I think it helps that I also do music, so it's almost a bit of an obligation to listen to a lot of different things, to gain influences and widen my spectrum, it's also fun to explore new kinds of music I haven't heard before. So yeah, I don't think it's impossible to gain new tastes, we might be culturaly influenced by specific types of music but you know, music is still music.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2014, 12:53 PM by eliasfrost.)
07-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

You can get new preferences, whether it's music/art/whatever as long as you keep an open mind. Do not reject it.
EDIT:
The fact that our tastes of music are culturally influenced doesn't work on me. I actually sort of disliked my country's own songs. Yes, I am an awful person.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2014, 12:44 PM by PutraenusAlivius.)
07-08-2014, 12:43 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

(07-08-2014, 12:43 PM)Harry Potter Wrote: I actually sort of disliked my country's own songs. Yes, I am an awful person.

it used to me same for me but not long ago i came to appreciate it and realise its actually not that bad at all

07-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Find
Tiger Away
Posting Freak

Threads: 16

Sweden has got some pretty good music, but most of it is house though. Kent is also a good band.

btw, Dogfood, which country are you from, I've forgotten.
07-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

(07-08-2014, 09:02 PM)Tiger Wrote: btw, Dogfood, which country are you from, I've forgotten.

(This post was last modified: 07-08-2014, 09:42 PM by Nice.)
07-08-2014, 09:41 PM
Find