Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Routine: A New Horror Game
Tomato Cat Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Routine: A New Horror Game

Personally, I'm not sure that I like the "one life" scheme. The game looks absolutely terrifying as is, and such a feature doesn't seem to add a degree of fear, but more of "oh god I got stuck running into a crate and the guy killed me."

Amnesia had a low-consequence for deaths, but still accomplished being an intense experience. Perhaps they should include it as a difficulty option?
(This post was last modified: 06-28-2013, 01:45 PM by Tomato Cat.)
06-28-2013, 01:44 PM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

(06-28-2013, 10:05 AM)Adrianis Wrote: What's your reaction in that kind of hardcore game when you actually do die and have to restart? Do you find the same level of engagement persists the next time you're replaying the same section?

In contrast, what do you think about the extremely low consequences for death in Amnesia TDD relative to Hardcore mode on DS2, in terms of your level of engagement? (not comparing with Justine because that's deliberately short)

It was a bit frustrating, I admit, to have gotten far and died (usually to environmental causes, like giant fans or moving machinery. I haven't died from monsters in DS2 Hardcore). But going through the same process still worried me a bit as I knew I would have to start over. It still scared me the same to a degree, I didn't go, "well, time to do it again, la de da". It was more of, "I have to do that again, shit, I hope I don't die...". Remember, I played the game on every difficulty before Hardcore. I already knew where every monster came from and how to kill them. But knowing each time that if THEY killed ME, I'd have to start over. And that made me more paranoid than I had ever been in that game, no matter how many times I played it. This is why I'm not concerned of the permadeath in Routine. I'm also believing that if they are making a game centered around permadeath, they must have balanced it around that concept (enemies probably don't kill you instantly like Amnesia, you probably have more health, etc. I HIGHLY doubt these enemies kill you in one hit).

When it came to Amnesia, the difference is a little hard to compare. DS2 had a fight mechanic, which makes it less scary, but the Hardcore mode bumped it back up. Amnesia loses its scariness by its instant death (having the monster be able to hit you more than once would make it a lot scarier during a chase. One-hit-kills ruined a bit of the game for me) and when you respawned, the enemy disappeared. I always thought this was a bug, and it eventually took away the scariness knowing that "hey, I'm running from this monster, but if he kills me, he'll just disappear after and I'll be okay". A choice the developers thought helped immersion by relieving frustration, but in my opinion, did the opposite. So all-in-all, when it comes to DS2 Hardcore VS Amnesia: TDD, I think my fear level was about the same. If Amnesia didn't do the things I listed above, it would've taken the cake. This is why I think Routine will be awesome. It knocks out all the things I think are good in a horror game. I just hope it DOES have balancing mechanics toward permadeath. One-hit-killing is a no-no.
06-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

A new cool interview with one of the developers on gameinformer:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/routin...orror.aspx

It answered a lot of questions I had and removed my last doubts about the quality of the game.
So amazing, that the game is influnced by three of my favourite movies of all time; "Classic films like 2001: A Space Odyssey, The Thing, and Alien are longtime favorites of Foster’s and directly influenced Routine’s 1980s vision of a futuristic moon base."

An -open world- moonbase waits to be explored. Really looking forward to this game.
10-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Find
TwiK999 Offline

Looks very good. The start reminded me of dead space a little and System shock.

Steam ID: Yazite

Xbox Gamertag: Yazite
10-09-2013, 10:27 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

Shame they're taking forever haha.
10-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

(10-09-2013, 02:24 PM)Cuyir Wrote: Shame they're taking forever haha.

Quality takes time Big Grin They hope to release it at the end of 2013.
10-09-2013, 02:30 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

(10-09-2013, 02:30 PM)droog Wrote: They hope to release it at the end of 2013.

I am fully engorged.
10-09-2013, 02:33 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

(10-09-2013, 02:33 PM)Paddy Wrote:
(10-09-2013, 02:30 PM)droog Wrote: They hope to release it at the end of 2013.

I am fully engorged.

...naa I have to say.. they try it to release it this year. Big Grin

RPS: Release in 2014?

Foster: We’ve had a lot of offers of help recently, and that might mean that progressed speeds up. But that depends on the choices we make. If people help with the art I will be able to focus on design, and that will speed things up. We certainly have a lot more options since we released the video last night! But I’ll say that we are aiming for the end of this year. But you know how that goes!

src: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06/...n-routine/
10-09-2013, 02:35 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

it looks nice

i got more scared from the scene jumps than the game though. lol.

ps statyk that banner is beautiful *_*

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
10-09-2013, 11:25 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I dunno, I'm 50/50 on this. On one hand, it sounds like a pretty cool game. On the other hand, it also sounds like it could be frustrating. I guess I'll get it if it's <$15.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
10-09-2013, 11:55 PM
Find