Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Point of an IFC?
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26
Point of an IFC?

So my custom story is slowly but surely nearing completion (it's pretty much done as far as being able to click new game and make it to the credits, now I just have to make it purty) and I find myself wondering about Isolated Full Conversions. I have some questions:

1: Is it too late to make mine into one? Or is that something you gotta kinda do from the get-go?

2: What are all the benefits of making one? The reason I never bothered is because from what I gather the benefits are as follows:
*Ability to change default movement speeds (which I don't see the point of unless you're making a goofy sanic gotta go fast level, and besides can't that stuff be changed via scripts that run on map start?)
*Ability to change the lantern, which is neat but not really necessary.
*Ability to change the menu background and inventory, again cool but not that big of a deal.
*Ability to modify things like sanity damage from looking at goobers or being in the dark. This one I can see being helpful, but I never needed it.

So are there any other cool things an IFC can do that I don't know of? They seem like more trouble than they're worth to me, as I've played over 40 custom stories which all worked fine but had 3 seperate IFCs not work for me despite trying everything people suggested.

Also, sorry for being annoying. I'm a curious man by nature and I tend to just ask whatever pops into my skull.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
06-26-2013, 07:05 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Point of an IFC?

1: It's never late. You can always transform your CS to an IFC.

2: Besides that, you can remove the glowing thing in items, so they are harder to find, you can change the maximum health and sanity (I think), but mainly what you said.

IFC ALWAYS will include the typical guy who says "It doesnt work plz help meh" because they usually give issues to people, so, if you decide to make your CS an IFC for reasons stated in point 2, you should post a tutorial or readme with your story on IFC problems troubleshooting.

I made once a guide that troubleshooted the common issue:
EXCEPTION_ACCES_VIOLATION in module Amnesia.exe at 0023:004A67A8"

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-20271.html (guide)

And a ReadMe treating on how to install full conversions will be useful too (make it idiotic simple, so everyone has the less error range as possible).

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
06-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Find
DeAngelo Offline

Threads: 26

OK, thanks. By the way, I actually used your tutorial to install an IFC once and even went as far as to completely uninstall amnesia and download it from scratch, and it still didn't work. But hey, it's all good. I think I'll ignore IFC for this story, but I might try one later (assuming this story doesn't suck so much I get banned from making any more)

If changing maximum health is possible, I'd love to make one where you start with like 1,000 health and it's impossible to recover and you have to make it through the whole story one 1 life. Mite b cool.

A Late Night Drink http://www.moddb.com/mods/a-late-night-drink
Check out my LP channel, CatBearGaming, I take all Custom Story requests!
06-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

Re-installing Amnesia shall be only the LATEST solution. The first thing you have to do when you have a weird issue with Amnesia itself, is to go to Amnesia<Main<Hpl.log and see wtf happened. In IFC case, to Amnesia<IFC<hpl.log.

You should always have the hpl.log in a text editor, to see what happens when running your story, just in case something weird happened.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
06-26-2013, 07:33 PM
Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145

Oh oh oh oh, to number 2! I don't know if that was what you meant by "Being in the darkness", but you can choose how high the maximum lighting level needs to be for the player to "toggle" night vision on. I put this to 0. This makes it more realistic that it's dark all the time.

I love IFC's because you can change so much. You can also change all the messages and everything that is written.
Even what it has to say when you go to options, or when you press Escape. You're the one to type what's going to be on the screen! Isn't that amazing? I love it!

Trying is the first step to success.
(This post was last modified: 06-26-2013, 11:46 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
06-26-2013, 11:45 PM
Find