Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thief
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Thief

It's a shame that their idea of showing homeage to the old games is to charge you money for a single-mission DLC instead of making, you know.. the whole game a homemage to the old games. I think this game is going to flopp hard for old fans, really not looking forward to it, which is weird because I really liked Human Revolution.

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
01-02-2014, 11:03 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

(01-02-2014, 02:42 PM)Cuyir Wrote: Stories from the city reminded me way too much of the Tales From Dunwall. For a studio trying to avoid the comparisons to Dishonored they sure walked into that one.
Yeah I agree totally. But also I presume they do not have to avoid any comparisons at all, simply because Thief franchise is legendary. They already have a truly lively universe of The City full of hundreds of characters whom we met in original trilogy. Therefore at least for me those animated stories are just fun to watch no matter if I do see its the same advertising approach as with Dishonored. I do not mind.

(01-02-2014, 11:03 PM)Naked? No Wrote: It's a shame that their idea of showing homeage to the old games is to charge you money for a single-mission DLC instead of making, you know.. the whole game a homemage to the old games. I think this game is going to flopp hard for old fans, really not looking forward to it, which is weird because I really liked Human Revolution.
Same happened when the Thief: Dead Shadows came out. Lots of fans decided its kinda not good enough for their precious tastes. But as for me personally I was amazed by the Thief: Dead Shadows without any complaints at all. Simply because game was not forcing me to use new tools and abilities. And developers already told that the same situation will be here with the 4th installment. There will be real lot of innovations in comparison with the good old Thief universe. But players will be free not to use new tools and abilities in order to finish the game. That's cool as I imagine. If they will let me make a complete walkthrough in a good old ghosting style I'll be satisfied.

The only one thing that bothers me for real is the story and characters. Story and characters were always the strongest parts of the Thief trilogy, I really hope 4th installments won't be simplified from that point of view. I am waiting for a lots of mysteries.

Another one thing are those killmoves or however they call those short cinematics of some killings. I hope there will be an option to turn them off totally, because for me personally this would ruin quite a bit first-person immersion. It's not critical, I would eat that, but... you know.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2014, 02:11 AM by Alex Ros.)
01-03-2014, 01:54 AM
Website Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

@Ros: They do have to avoid it. When it was first announced everyone quickly drew comparisons to Dishonored. Sure, a lot of those comparisons came from people who did not know what they were talking about but Eidos gave them a lot of reasons with those episodes for people to compare the two.

It was already getting flak for dubious and legitimate reasons, they didn't have to add "we seemingly want to ride Dishonored's bandwagon" too. It's a shame that fans won't support it because they don't understand what a reboot entails and because there's no Stephen Russell.

If it had been Russell at the helm a LOT of the criticism would be non-existent but those are fanbases for you. I just hope Eidos isn't affected too much. We need to embrace stealth games, not ostracize them.
01-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

The title of the video speaks for itself, good news...
[video=youtube]http://youtu.be/SjUqrG3zVL8[/video]
As for that shitty "focus feature" it's confirmed that focus is absolutely non essential feature, there is absolutely no need to use focus, if you do not want to. It's just for newcomers or lazy players, no more, no less. Conclusively, I hope the 4th installment of the franchise would be enjoyable for players who remembers 2 first installments... and oh, I remember... I grew up with Garret in fact, years of blessed youth from 18 to 24.
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2014, 12:15 AM by Alex Ros.)
01-27-2014, 12:11 AM
Website Find
Alex Ros Offline

I am going to love it. Nearly everything is customizable in Options. Iron Man option is especially challenging:

01-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Website Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

I hate to read words like "points" or "quests", because that always reminds me to play a game and totally breaks down immersion. These things only takes place in games, so there is no believable feeling when you read it there. The game formally presents itself as a game and not a serious experience. We should forget all thoughts to play a computer game and try to take it seriously. A game like this NEVER should be about points or something. What is a point? Who gives you a point? Points when you successfully steal something? That just feels like a bad designed game that fails to be immersing in any ways.

After all, I love the atmosphere. But that's everything the game seems to be good.
01-30-2014, 07:40 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

(01-02-2014, 11:03 PM)Naked? No Wrote: It's a shame that their idea of showing homeage to the old games is to charge you money for a single-mission DLC instead of making, you know.. the whole game a homemage to the old games.

It's a THIEF game. They steal money from you.

[Image: ngbbs4e4c0015a1ed7.jpg]

01-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Website Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(01-30-2014, 07:40 PM)Googolplex Wrote: I hate to read words like "points" or "quests", because that always reminds me to play a game and totally breaks down immersion. These things only takes place in games, so there is no believable feeling when you read it there. The game formally presents itself as a game and not a serious experience. We should forget all thoughts to play a computer game and try to take it seriously. A game like this NEVER should be about points or something. What is a point? Who gives you a point? Points when you successfully steal something? That just feels like a bad designed game that fails to be immersing in any ways.

After all, I love the atmosphere. But that's everything the game seems to be good.

Just asking, have you played Dark Souls? You might like it
01-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(01-30-2014, 08:10 PM)Deep One Wrote: Just asking, have you played Dark Souls? You might like it

No, the only RPGs I played are Gothic, Risen and The Witcher. The complete series.
In future I will play Skyrim and Oblivion. But I watched some letsplays of Dark Souls and disliked it absolutely.
It's not that what I expect from a good RPG.

Why do you think I would like it?
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2014, 08:45 PM by Googolplex.)
01-30-2014, 08:36 PM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(01-30-2014, 08:36 PM)Googolplex Wrote: Why do you think I would like it?

Challenging and rewarding gameplay, no hand-holding, no "points" (well maybe souls count as points idk) nor "quests", it forces player to explore things on one's own (you can't just check the map ), no pausing etc. Kinda more "HC" than most of games. But if story and dialogue is your thing, this game is not for you
01-30-2014, 09:56 PM
Find