Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Model Editor Help Making A Monster
hunchbackproduction Offline

Threads: 13
Making A Monster

There are very few tutorials, video or text written, out there about how to make a monster and put it into amnesia.
I just have a few questions, I think I can figure out the rest by myself.

1) Is it possible to completely make a monster in blender, or must I use maya ?

2) Is it easier to make from scratch, or can I just tweak and retexture the already existing amnesia monster eg: brute?

3) *Noob Question xD* How do I make monster animations ? Is it in the amnesia model editor program or the other program, like maya. Can blender sucessfully make these animations ?

Sorry If this has already been covered but it's pretty hard to find. Not many guides xD A start to finish guide would be nice, detailing every step :3

Scripting level is over 9000!
07-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Website Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Making A Monster

1) By the moment, you cannot use Blender to make monsters with animations, you can create models (like a chair), however. If you want a monster with animations, you must use Maya 2008.

2) It's A LOT EASIER to simply tweak a monster of Amnesia, as you just have to change settings and textures. From scratch, you have to make the model, the texture, the animations, and tons of things more.

3) The reason you can't make monsters in Blender is because of the armature (or skeleton). The bones are exported a different way than maya, and the model editor doesn't recongize them. Therefore, any animation or skeleton you apply to your monster in Blender won't work or will simply crash model editor.
The animations must be made in a 3D modelling program, like Blender or Maya.

I hope this answered your questions Smile

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
07-11-2013, 02:50 PM
Find

(07-11-2013, 02:50 PM)The chaser Wrote: 1) By the moment, you cannot use Blender to make monsters with animations, you can create models (like a chair), however. If you want a monster with animations, you must use Maya 2008.

2) It's A LOT EASIER to simply tweak a monster of Amnesia, as you just have to change settings and textures. From scratch, you have to make the model, the texture, the animations, and tons of things more.

3) The reason you can't make monsters in Blender is because of the armature (or skeleton). The bones are exported a different way than maya, and the model editor doesn't recongize them. Therefore, any animation or skeleton you apply to your monster in Blender won't work or will simply crash model editor.
The animations must be made in a 3D modelling program, like Blender or Maya.

I hope this answered your questions Smile

Thanks it did xD
One more thing : Are there really no good monster making tutorials out there ?

07-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Website Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

Not especially for making monsters, but there are tutorials for sculpting, rigging, animating, etc.
Put all those together and BOOM! You got yourself a monster Big Grin
07-11-2013, 04:28 PM
Find

(07-11-2013, 04:28 PM)Smoke Wrote: Not especially for making monsters, but there are tutorials for sculpting, rigging, animating, etc.
Put all those together and BOOM! You got yourself a monster Big Grin

Yea, that's what I thought xD!
I found this though: http://frictionalgames.blogspot.co.uk/20...art-2.html
There is a whole part on modelling the monster, might be helpful

07-11-2013, 04:36 PM
Website Find