Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Assets and Materials
thestormcrow Offline

Threads: 8
Custom Assets and Materials

Hi there - what modelling packages do other developers use to create custom assets and materials? I wanted to make some custom assets but the packages I use won't let me save in the correct file types so I can't seem to import them. For example photoshop won't save a .mat, 3DS Max won't save a .dae etc...

How do you work around this?
07-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42
RE: Custom Assets and Materials

There are several tutorials on how to make them, but here is a short summary.

1. Download either 3DS max or Maya from here or blender from here.
The program doesn't save to a .dae file, but you'll have to export it to an .dae file, again, look up some tutorials for your program first.
Get comfortable with the program and make some basic models.

2. You can't create an .mat for your model. All the textures should be in .dds format. 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, etc. If you open up your model in the modelviewer, it makes the .mat files automatically. The .mat tells the game which maps the model needs (Bump, spec, illum, diffuse, etc.)

If you need anything else, just ask

Edit: [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSVYSnOi8NlsD7QNJoz2Do..._sypqpjQ8Q]
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013, 04:13 PM by OriginalUsername.)
07-11-2013, 04:10 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

The 3D programs used for making a model and texturing it are:

3D modelling:

-Maya
-3DS Max
-Blender

With them you can make models for Amnesia. (With 3Ds max animations are glitchy, with Blender you cannot make them)

Texturing:

-Gimp
-Material Editor

This is the process:

-You make the model, you set the UV coordinates to an image and then you EXPORT it to .dae (Collada)
-In Gimp, you create the specular and normal map from the diffuse (the color photo)
-Then, in the MATERIAL EDITOR, which already comes with the level editor and model editor and etc you create a material with the diffuse, normal and spec and you name it the same as your model.
-In model editor, Import your mesh (.dae).

The .mat file is simply a text file which specifies the textures that the game has to use for the model, and photoshop just exports textures. If you choose "save" in any modelling program, it will save it as a .blend file (in blender's case) or a maya ASCII file in case you use maya. That means you have to use the "Export" option.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Smoke Big Grin

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
(This post was last modified: 07-11-2013, 04:12 PM by The chaser.)
07-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Find
thestormcrow Offline

Threads: 8

Ah! Export! Big Grin Why didn't I think of that Big Grin thanks ^^
07-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Find