Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Realism Questions
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
Realism Questions

While working on levels I presume everyone has some questions what is possible in reality and what is not. So this thread is for such questions.

Here we have an abandoned place made of pure stone and buried deep underground. Here we have a hole at the "ceiling" so some water and dirt was falling down for years. What plants in particular might grow up down there? Moss surely. Mushrooms of course. Possibly some bindweed. But which plants like for example fern might grow up in such a situation? I presume without direct sunlight only a few of plants might grow down there, probably some kind of tenacious weeds. Is there anyone who might help with such a question?
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013, 08:08 PM by Alex Ros.)
07-12-2013, 08:08 PM
Website Find
FlawlessHappiness Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 145
RE: Realism Questions

Well, the first thing that might start grow there is grass/moss. The creepers will also be useful here.
Afterwards, different bigger plants might've started growing, such as ferns.
Maybe a tree have found it's way in. There is a big tree model thing, in the original amnesia. This tree would probably seek the light the most. Therefore it reaches for the hole in the roof.

Remember. Plants need light to be able to grow. Not just water. So, plants will be in light. Mushrooms though... They could grow anywhere, but would probably grow together in groups. Maybe in corners, and such.

Trying is the first step to success.
07-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

I did a little bit of research for you, since I was curious about this myself.

From what I've gathered, all plants require some form of lights. If it has green pigments, it has chlorophyll, meaning it photosynthesizes, meaning it needs light to make its own food. There are some plants that can survive in low light conditions (Peperomia, Chinese Evergreen, Dieffenbachia, Snake Plant, Philodendron, Zeezee Plant, Arrowhead Vine, Pothos, Fuchsia, Bleeding Hearts, Primrose, Forget-me-not, Jacob's Ladder, Impatiens, Begonias, Lily of the Valley, Wild Violet, Hosta Lily, and Cast-Iron Plant), but they won't thrive and would most-likely have to have been artificially introduced to the area. Some species of mushrooms, and other fungi, require absolutely no light at all, so these would be your best bet.

That said, most people are willing to suspend disbelief and just accept that there are ferns and mosses growing miles and miles underground.

Sources: Google; type in "low-light plants", then double-check the list of species that come up by typing in "[plant species] care instructions".

Edit: BeeKayK, you ninja :p

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013, 09:11 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
07-12-2013, 09:10 PM
Find
Posting Freak

(07-12-2013, 09:10 PM)Kiandra Wrote: Sources: Google; type in "low-light plants", then double-check the list of species that come up by typing in "[plant species] care instructions".

Edit: BeeKayK, you ninja :p

More answers = more help! Smile

But if there's a hole in the ceiling, won't there be light too?

07-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

I'm not sure why my brain didn't register the fact that light makes its way through holes. Although, I suppose it could change depending on if the crack leads in a straight path to the surface, what's up there on top of it, and how wide the crack is. I was picturing something more like a crack in the ceiling of a tunnel that allowed dirt and water to leak through, but didn't necessarily lead to the surface.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013, 09:20 PM by CarnivorousJelly.)
07-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Find
Posting Freak

Yea, i can picture the tunnel Wink

Depending on the light then Smile
Good luck with the plants. Do you have custom plants?

07-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20

A good game to look at is Tomb Raider. There aren't that many different plants in the game but the way they're used is really nice. There are plenty of areas in that game with broken ceilings and plants and things hanging down.
07-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Everything is custom. Simply because I really love modelling and texturing, no other reason.
Well, in particular I do want to put some plants like ferns downthere, so I suppose I just have to make that ceiling-crack big enough to let light in. Thanks you Kiandra and BeeKayK! I hope someday I could be helpfull as well, thread is open for everyone with questions about what might be and what is surely a bit too unrealistic.
(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013, 10:58 PM by Alex Ros.)
07-12-2013, 10:54 PM
Website Find
Posting Freak

(07-12-2013, 10:54 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: Everything is custom. Simply because I really love modelling and texturing, no other reason.
I hope someday I could be helpfull as well

PICTURES!!!

And you wanna be more helpful? Maybe even share the plant models! This forum lacks plants. We have a couple of very nice trees, but plants...

(This post was last modified: 07-12-2013, 11:57 PM by FlawlessHappiness.)
07-12-2013, 11:57 PM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

(07-12-2013, 11:57 PM)BeeKayK Wrote:
(07-12-2013, 10:54 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: Everything is custom. Simply because I really love modelling and texturing, no other reason...I hope someday I could be helpfull as well
And you wanna be more helpful? Maybe even share the plant models! This forum lacks plants. We have a couple of very nice trees, but plants...
Everything I am making (models and textures) I will and already uploading here http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-21792.html But I am doing this only when the mod is released... or abandoned. Not earlier. As for pictures and screenshots I've open that thread http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-22113.html and as long as Statyk is the only one who have recommended anything at all I will listen to him, you'll see screenies only when I am 75% done, I just have no other choice ))))
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2013, 12:11 AM by Alex Ros.)
07-13-2013, 12:07 AM
Website Find