Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Doors not opening in the Residential Area 4 (Black Plague)
craigmedland Offline

Threads: 1
Doors not opening in the Residential Area 4 (Black Plague)

Hi All,

I have a strange problem in that I am stuck in Residential Area (facility where the library / computer room is) in Black Plague.... went to the walk-through and as plain as day it say's "enter the locker room" or "enter the armory" etc ... but these doors will not open for me ... no message about being locked ... nothing, except a slightly perceivable movement when I grab and push / pull with the mouse.

Am I insane? I'm not stupid, have played and finished the first one ......

Regards,
Craig.
03-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Find
jens Offline
Frictional Games

Threads: 199
RE: Doors not opening in the Residential Area 4 (Black Plague)

Is this when you enter the level for the first time? There should be a voice talking, the view should be spinning and some other effects, while this is active the doors I locked I think.
03-09-2009, 11:17 AM
Website Find
craigmedland Offline

Threads: 1

(03-09-2009, 11:17 AM)jens Wrote: Is this when you enter the level for the first time? There should be a voice talking, the view should be spinning and some other effects, while this is active the doors I locked I think.

Hmmm ..... it happens all the time, from leaving Dr Swanson’s Office (save point) I can walk (more like stagger, fall, stagger fall in drunken like stupor) up to all the doors that are supposed to be open (2 or 3 I think) and they won't open, just jiggle a little. All I can do is wander around in a locked level.

Should I just try going back a few saves? Must admit that I haven't.

P.S. The only thing I could mention that should not be relevant is that I bought this game when it first came out (because I loved the first one) and have shelved it for about 5 months because I thought I was being a lame gamer by not being able to get through this level .... finally decided to come back to it after an off chance I read a walk-through that said these doors should be open.

.... just re-reading your message ... are you implying that the visual effects should be temporary? because you mentioned a voice-over and effects, but I have no voice-over and the effects do not stop throughout the level. Maybe that is the problem ... as you are already implying.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2009, 01:33 PM by Obecny.)
03-09-2009, 01:31 PM
Find
ROT51 Offline

Threads: 3

Quote:.... just re-reading your message ... are you implying that the visual effects should be temporary? because you mentioned a voice-over and effects, but I have no voice-over and the effects do not stop throughout the level. Maybe that is the problem ... as you are already implying.

That's right! Those effects are just temporary. When you stop hearing voices in the corridor, the visual effects must be stopped at less than 10 seconds. But if not, that sounds like technical problem to me. Hopefully it's not.
03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
Find
PraoWolf Offline

Threads: 0

Glad I found this post! I'm having the exact same problem. Doors that "should" be open are not. Mainly the storage rooms and the Armory. I keep getting a message saying "My head is spinning. I can't grip the door handle. Better try later." I've been running around the level for an hour now, and there are no items or anything on the ground, finally resorted to a walkthru (I like to play without it) to see what was next and found that 5 doors should be open. The only accessible part of the map for me is the clean room before the poison gas. I can get just up to the door before I die. I can re-enter the original room for a few seconds after I leave it, but if I try to get in after 10-20 secs of walking around I get the above message. The doors that should open only open partly, like maybe 4 inches each way. Almost like something is blocking the door on both sides. I have in the mess hall I believe taken boxes and blocked doors (can't be too careful, so I thought) I'm nowhere near there but maybe something in the programming reuses those areas? Not sure about that mind you, just random speculation. Like the other guy I bought the game as a complete trilogy last halloween, beat Overture and played maybe 10 mins of Black Plague then stopped playing for a few months and just recently came back to it, got here and now I'm stuck.

Something odd, before the alternate reality part, I walked in the sewers and forgot to pause and got up to get a drink, a few minutes later I get back and just see that "Life.... Philip.... Here..." thing and go from there.

I've tried grabbing the door and right clicking to kind of force it open, but still no go. Not sure what I'm doing wrong though. Gonna try a re-load and run super quick to armory and see if it will let me in before the lockdown or something.

Update: SHAZAAA!!!! I think I figured it out, at least my problem, might be similar if people tend to save alot like me. When I first got to this room, I got all the items, did the computer thing and then saved. I left the room got that funky voice and falling down, and I think halfway through it I walked back into the save room thinking it was done and re-saved, I left the room and go back out and nothing opens. Well I used my save before my last save, so 2 saves ago, when I just got into the room, and walked out, I didn't realize that message was so long. I thought it ended at 'monkey!' Once I got the full message, the armory was partly open and everything was right in the world.....
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2011, 01:16 PM by PraoWolf.)
04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
Find