Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Help wanted
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Help wanted

(08-07-2013, 02:20 PM)The chaser Wrote: Oh, it doesn't matter. My models aren't the best, but I try to put care on them, and if I receive criticism, even better! I've been learning about NURBS and modifiers, and I must admit I'm getting quite good results Big Grin

Nurbs are very data heavy. Pretty useless for a lot of things most modelers and animations would like use them for. Easy to UV map though.

Nurb data = CAD data, essentially. But CAD data is made by CAD software, like AutoCAD or Alias. It's only useful for engineering. Nurb data use to be used for video games, but polygons are a lot lighter.

Now, I don't know what they are used for. Perhaps movies, but I haven't heard about something like that for a long while. They are excellent for their splines, though. Big Grin

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
08-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

Hey. I can't make a great model, but I can make a model to be very low poly. I made a Lantern with 172 Verts, and 280 Faces/Tris *shows off*

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
08-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(08-07-2013, 02:29 PM)crisosphinx Wrote:
(08-07-2013, 02:20 PM)The chaser Wrote: Oh, it doesn't matter. My models aren't the best, but I try to put care on them, and if I receive criticism, even better! I've been learning about NURBS and modifiers, and I must admit I'm getting quite good results Big Grin

Nurbs are very data heavy. Pretty useless for a lot of things most modelers and animations would like use them for. Easy to UV map though.

Nurb data = CAD data, essentially. But CAD data is made by CAD software, like AutoCAD or Alias. It's only useful for engineering. Nurb data use to be used for video games, but polygons are a lot lighter.

Now, I don't know what they are used for. Perhaps movies, but I haven't heard about something like that for a long while. They are excellent for their splines, though. Big Grin

Didn't know that... anyways, they are useful to make lots of details, especially to make cave-like environments (it'll require sculpting, of course, or it will look way too smooth. You make lots of curves, and then, you fill them. But, "Oh my god, that's way too highpoly!" simple:

I make a Nurbs, I convert it to a mesh and I apply a decimate modifier. Results:

Highpoly version:

http://i.imgur.com/PX4TkIg.jpg

Low poly version:

http://i.imgur.com/7k7SSLQ.png

This is the magic of the decimate modifier! It saves a lot my a** when I make models, as I make them REALLY high poly and then I applicate the modifier, and, as it pratically doesn't damage the mesh, it's ideal.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
08-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Find
crisosphinx Offline

Threads: 5

That does look very nice, Dolan!
I think I have some possibilities for you, if you'd like to give it a go. I might even give you a tough assignment if it helps you learn. Wink

Add me on Skype at: crisosphinx

(08-07-2013, 02:38 PM)JustAnotherPlayer Wrote: Hey. I can't make a great model, but I can make a model to be very low poly. I made a Lantern with 172 Verts, and 280 Faces/Tris *shows off*

Perhaps I can get you to help as well, though making something that optimized might be a bit too much. Wink

There are a ton of little things I'll need done, so if you'd like to help out, there will probably be ample opportunity.

Animation and Rig questions -> crisosphinx@yahoo.com

3D Generalist. Notable work on FG Forums - The Great Work, Five Magics and Cowards Debt.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013, 04:19 PM by crisosphinx.)
08-07-2013, 04:04 PM
Find