Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0
RE: Games in which you felt more immersed than in Amnesia

It is hard not to feel immersed with 39 inch of 4K UHD real estate but that would be Penumbra series for me.
Amnesia Justine of course.
Games from different studios would be Fallout 3 and new vegas, Bioshock 1, Ratchet and clank 1, 2, 3 (I know it is weird that I felt immersed by R&C but it is really good fast paced gameplay as long as you skip the videos.
That pausing of R&C while switching weapons was breaking immersions completely though.
08-07-2013, 11:57 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Bioshcok would have to be about the same as amnesia but The Last Of Us... probably a little more... Such a great game.

Also, as i just finished playing it, Dear Esther.
I could feel the chill of the wind on my back.. the cold of the water as i splashed into it...

(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013, 04:47 AM by 7heDubz.)
08-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Find
Deep One Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 9

(08-07-2013, 11:57 PM)maarten12100 Wrote: It is hard not to feel immersed with 39 inch of 4K UHD real estate but....

I wonder how many times we have heard this
08-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

Definitely Bioshock Infinite. The story really gripped me. But right after that ATDD.
08-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Find
TheWalshinator Offline

Threads: 3

Well, I've never actually played Penumbra, so I'll have to say Slender - The Arrival (despite the fact that it is short)

You will see me, and weep in cold fear...
08-08-2013, 09:48 AM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

Threads: 0

More people ITT need to play The Last Of Us and Stalker =P
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013, 12:56 PM by pinkribbonscars.)
08-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(08-08-2013, 12:56 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: More people ITT need to play The Last Of Us and Stalker =P

I would play The Last Of Us if it would be avaiable for PC.
08-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Find
Draug Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 5

(08-08-2013, 12:56 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: More people ITT need to play The Last Of Us and Stalker =P

The Last Of Us is on my list, but I wait until the price goes down. Nearly 60€ for a game is to much imo (thats the reason why 90% of my games are from indie developers).
08-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

The most I've felt immersed by a game really depends on how broad the definition of "immersion" is.

If we're talking about general you "feel" like the character I'd say it would have to be Skyrim, and Amnesia.

In a broader sense of the game being VERY engaging to play, and it just sucks you in with its plot, and/or gameplay I'd go with the Bioshock series, IB, and Fire Emblem Awakening just to name a couple.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
08-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

(08-07-2013, 09:40 PM)Googolplex Wrote: @MyRedNeptune
Yes, I think that's the reason. When you play Penumbra first, you become inspired in horror and you will get much of expectations to all following games. Penumbra does a better job in immersion as previous mentioned the examination of objects where you can read the player thoughts was very important and I missed it in Amnesia. An other reason are the mementos, where the player reads "You must" instead of "I must".

The problem is who said "You" to the player? An other person? The computer? The game? You never should think it's a game - this is the contrary of immersion. When you are immersed, you don't think it's a game. To write his own mementos would cause a much better feeling of immersion. This is only one reason. A further reason is that in Amnesia is less to explore compared to Penumbra. It's made more easy, less challenging puzzles, less physics stuff, too empty environments etc. The complete cell area has only two puzzles: the hole under the bed and the acid lock. In Penumbra was much much more. An other reason is that horror in Penumbra feels more earnestly, not "forced" like the screen-colorizing effects and sounds. Penumbra was more deep and danger and the dogs never feels like computer game enemies you have to play with.

There are a lot of things Amnesia feels more like a game and that's breaking the immersion in my opinion.

You didn't understand my point. What I was trying to get across is that it was likely your mindset, and not any serious objective flaws, that largely compromised your enjoyment of Amnesia.

There is a reason for me to make such a bold assumption. I find it ironic how you say that "You never should think it's a game" and then proceed to evaluate Amnesia in gamey terms like physics and difficulty. I'm in no way trying to say that these issues don't exist, but in order for them to hurt immersion, you have to actually notice them in the first place. Also, I'm just going to point out that most of the issues you mentioned are your personal opinion/preference, while the rest can be met with similarly objective flaws in Penumbra.

Judging by how critical, dismissive and finicky you are when talking about Amnesia as compared to Penumbra, I get the impression that your approach to Amnesia was different from your approach to Penumbra. Which means that you can't objectively compare the two.

That, or you just have a taste for very specific things. Nothing wrong with that, but no need to preach it like it's fact.

^(;,;)^
08-08-2013, 03:56 PM
Find