Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Dream composing
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
Dream composing

For me, it's a fairly new phenomenon that has been happening to me a lot over the past week. I'm usually in some borderline lucid state where I realize that I'm dreaming while at the same time some background music is playing in my head that I've never heard before.

Just to let you know, I'm a melody composer as I don't really enjoy music created from ambiances or sound effects (kmn pls). So the music I compose in my dreams are always solid melodies, usually on the piano or violin orchestra.

Anyways, how I'm certain that I'm composing is because it takes effort in my lucid dreaming to actually hear the music. It's like something that just keeps flowing in the background, but is incomplete, not until I strain hard to listen to it and then finally finish the melody consciously. Also, in my lucid state, I always check to see if my melody is something I've heard before by visualizing my favourite composers (e.g. chopin) and making sure that this is something I've never heard from them. Sometimes I remember the melodies when I wake up, but I almost never manage to replay them on the piano because I can't get the left hand harmonization down for some reason.

Does this occur to anybody else?

[Image: p229xcq]
08-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25
RE: Dream composing

Then why not just reharmonize them? Just write the melody itself down and work it out later. Anyway, it's almost 100% certain that you've heard it before or it's a cleverly obfuscated amalgamation of a bunch of things you've heard. But this doesn't happen to me.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2013, 06:41 PM by Bridge.)
08-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Find
Danny Boy Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 85
RE: Dream composing

(08-07-2013, 06:00 PM)Chronocat Wrote: Does this occur to anybody else?

Yeah. That as actually happened to me a ton of times lately. It usually starts with a music I have listened shortly before I went to sleep. But as it progresses. The music starts to mutate until it turns into something completely different. At some point I do even have some control of what is being played. Like as if I was literally composing it on the moment.

Quite fun actually. Never thought much about it until you showed to have experienced the same thing.
08-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Website Find