Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Scream detection?
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75
RE: Scream detection?

Actually I commentate on Amnesia (and other games too) so I rarely scream.

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
08-09-2013, 09:33 AM
Find
Zixalf Offline

Threads: 2

Hmm ok according to all the replies to this thread I'm like the only one making startled noises when playing a horror game Tongue
Just a note though for you YouTubers: I do think that if you just scream, mess around and have fun in videos, they're going to be much more entertaining for both yourself and your audience but that's just my experience.

Also, I want to add that the thing I came up with would be an optional feature, so you can just turn it off if you don't want to play with it Smile

Hey, I am on YouTube! Please tell me what you think of my videos!
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2013, 09:55 PM by Zixalf.)
08-09-2013, 09:53 PM
Website Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(08-09-2013, 09:53 PM)Zixalf Wrote: Just a note though for you YouTubers: I do think that if you just scream, mess around and have fun in videos, they're going to be much more entertaining for both yourself and your audience but that's just my experience.

I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and guess you're a PDP fan, to a greater or lesser extent. You'll find that the majority of people on this forum are pretty hard core FG fans, and those who really appreciate these games do not appreciate enternetainers (<- not a misspelling) ruining the experience by catering to the lowest common denominator by appealing to a vast audience with almost slap-stick style humor (hahaha, let's watch this guy get scared, scream his !@# off, and smash stuff because there's a physics engine). This sorta stuff really devalues the game in my opinion by centering the experience around laughing at the misfortunes of the player, and really has nothing to do with the game in question itself. I don't think I'm in the minority, at least among fans of FG and their games, on this subject.

This is also why, to a certain extent, most people don't audibly react to scariness in video games. If you're actually scared by a game, chances are you're very immersed in the experience. If you're very immersed, audibly screaming will likely take you out of the experience: if you're screaming, you're reminded you're not inside the game world, you're outside if playing a character inside the game world. If that makes any sense at all.
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2013, 11:34 PM by bluel0bster.)
08-09-2013, 11:33 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-09-2013, 11:33 PM)bluel0bster Wrote: I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark and guess you're a PDP fan, to a greater or lesser extent. You'll find that the majority of people on this forum are pretty hard core FG fans, and those who really appreciate these games do not appreciate enternetainers (<- not a misspelling) ruining the experience by catering to the lowest common denominator by appealing to a vast audience with almost slap-stick style humor (hahaha, let's watch this guy get scared, scream his !@# off, and smash stuff because there's a physics engine). This sorta stuff really devalues the game in my opinion by centering the experience around laughing at the misfortunes of the player, and really has nothing to do with the game in question itself. I don't think I'm in the minority, at least among fans of FG and their games, on this subject.

This is also why, to a certain extent, most people don't audibly react to scariness in video games. If you're actually scared by a game, chances are you're very immersed in the experience. If you're very immersed, audibly screaming will likely take you out of the experience: if you're screaming, you're reminded you're not inside the game world, you're outside if playing a character inside the game world. If that makes any sense at all.

Then don't watch them? I do not see how they can possibly ruin your experience by simply existing. Also, just because it is contrary to the game's intention doesn't mean it is incapable of being stimulating on its own terms. Watching Let's Plays where people are almost completely silent is the most boring thing in the world. The LPers of course have to entertain the people watching otherwise they have no incentive to. How they achieve this is the difference between good LPs and bad LPs but needless to say not all entertaining Let's Plays are stupid.

I would much rather watch someone make genuinely clever jokes and make the LP funny to watch (without trivializing the game) than watch some guy stoically play through the game fully immersed. It's disrespectful to your audience and honestly, not the point of LPs at all. Perfect example of what I'm talking about is Day[9]'s Let's Play of Amnesia, which I consider the best.
08-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11

(08-09-2013, 11:49 PM)Bridge Wrote: Then don't watch them? I do not see how they can possibly ruin your experience by simply existing.
I specifically didn't say my experience, I said the experience. I find it rather depressing that so many people first experience amnesia through watching LPers, who really just are there to entertain the audience with a very base style of humor; it's hard to appreciate amnesia for what it is (specifically it's story, which is one of my favorite aspects) if you're too busy mindlessly laughing at the harried predicament the LPer is getting him/herself into.

(08-09-2013, 11:49 PM)Bridge Wrote: Also, just because it is contrary to the game's intention doesn't mean it is incapable of being stimulating on its own terms.

I suppose if you enjoy family guy bits you'd find these specific types of LPers amusing, but LP humor clashes way too much with atmospheric horror in my humble opinion.

(08-09-2013, 11:49 PM)Bridge Wrote: Watching Let's Plays where people are almost completely silent is the most boring thing in the world.

Really? You mean like when you play games normally? You have to have annoying background noise when you play games? Depending on the game's genre (and imho especially with atmospheric horror games) silence can be pretty damn golden.

(08-09-2013, 11:49 PM)Bridge Wrote: The LPers of course have to entertain the people watching otherwise they have no incentive to.
Exactly. They entertain people. Not in a way just playing the game achieves, they throw in their own humor, and in the case of far too many, this humor clashes with any sort of atmosphere games offer.

(08-09-2013, 11:49 PM)Bridge Wrote: How they achieve this is the difference between good LPs and bad LPs but needless to say not all entertaining Let's Plays are stupid.

You make it sound like I'm making sweeping generalizations about all LPers on youtube, and if came across that way, that really wasn't my point. My point was that the type of LPing that the OP was referring to, PDP-esque game casting, detracts from the overall value of the game since the focus isn't on the game and it's marvelous story, atmosphere, and narrative, but rather on the LPer himself. I like a good handful of LPers, just not those who detract from the quality of the game. I think some LPers can greatly add to the experience of a game, but only certain LPers, and certain games. Atmospheric horror games really don't mix well with LPers, imho.
08-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(08-10-2013, 12:52 AM)bluel0bster Wrote: I specifically didn't say my experience, I said the experience. I find it rather depressing that so many people first experience amnesia through watching LPers, who really just are there to entertain the audience with a very base style of humor; it's hard to appreciate amnesia for what it is (specifically it's story, which is one of my favorite aspects) if you're too busy mindlessly laughing at the harried predicament the LPer is getting him/herself into.

Which is what I was saying. The point LPs isn't to give people the chance to experience the game (the game itself is capable of that on its own). You are there to see whoever is playing it. It can be as intelligent or as stupefying as whoever is playing it makes it. And I happen to enjoy lowbrow humor when it's executed properly. "Base" is not necessarily synonymous with "vacuous". It's visceral and relies completely on the performance.

Quote:I suppose if you enjoy family guy bits you'd find these specific types of LPers amusing, but LP humor clashes way too much with atmospheric horror in my humble opinion.

I don't, and I resent most of what PDP has done, but as I've said before it doesn't matter how much it compromises the atmosphere.

Quote:Really? You mean like when you play games normally? You have to have annoying background noise when you play games? Depending on the game's genre (and imho especially with atmospheric horror games) silence can be pretty damn golden.

So play the game yourself. You seem to not realize the reason why LPs exist in the first place (and if you do I apologize, but in that case your opinions deceive you). Watching someone fully immersed in a video game is literally watching somebody else play a video game. If it doesn't provide me with any enjoyment I have no reason to watch it. If I want to experience the game unfiltered I'm going to play it myself, or if I must watch a video I will watch a video walkthrough of it.

Quote:Exactly. They entertain people. Not in a way just playing the game achieves, they throw in their own humor, and in the case of far too many, this humor clashes with any sort of atmosphere games offer.

And watching rifftrax also detracts from the experience of watching the movie. But the entire point of the rifftrax is the commentary, not the movie. The only difference is that with rifftrax the movie is generally "so bad it's good" and with horror games LPs specifically it's the fact that they evoke such a strong emotional response.

Quote:You make it sound like I'm making sweeping generalizations about all LPers on youtube, and if came across that way, that really wasn't my point. My point was that the type of LPing that the OP was referring to, PDP-esque game casting, detracts from the overall value of the game since the focus isn't on the game and it's marvelous story, atmosphere, and narrative, but rather on the LPer himself. I like a good handful of LPers, just not those who detract from the quality of the game. I think some LPers can greatly add to the experience of a game, but only certain LPers, and certain games. Atmospheric horror games really don't mix well with LPers, imho.

Well I'm sorry but you did, and continue to do so. I don't disagree that the specific style that PDP spearheads so to speak is annoying, but even PDP has done some decent stuff and I do not think your demonization of horror game LPs in general is warranted at all. As concerns the last statement, I refer you again to Day[9]'s Let's play of the game. He takes the game completely seriously and yet due to his boundless charisma and knack for humor he manages to make the LP simultaneously terrifying and hilarious to watch, without trivializing the game whatsoever. If you can't respect that, let's just agree to disagree.
08-10-2013, 01:15 AM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

I think most people's problem with PDP is not the fact he makes videos with a facecam and playing around (not my cup of tea but whatever, to each their own) but that he's a "pretty boy" whoring himself out for views and Youtube revenue, with fans of questionable orientation buying Tshirts dedicated to him.
08-10-2013, 12:43 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

(08-10-2013, 12:43 PM)cantremember Wrote: I think most people's problem with PDP is not the fact he makes videos with a facecam and playing around (not my cup of tea but whatever, to each their own) but that he's a "pretty boy" whoring himself out for views and Youtube revenue, with fans of questionable orientation buying Tshirts dedicated to him.

It's not anybody's place to question how other people make a living if it's honest and nobody gets hurt. He's clearly passionate about doing it, and even if he can be transparent at times you get the feeling he is just doing it to please his fans. So people want to see him act like an idiot, so what?
08-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Find
PutraenusAlivius Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 75

How come a Scream Detection thread became a PDP thread?

"Veni, vidi, vici."
"I came, I saw, I conquered."
08-10-2013, 01:49 PM
Find
Zixalf Offline

Threads: 2

This indeed isn't the intention of this thread. If you want to argue about what Pewdie or other YouTubers are doing wrong or whatever, just create a new thread dedicated to that. I was just talking about screaming in LP's in general.
So back on-topic now guys Wink

Hey, I am on YouTube! Please tell me what you think of my videos!
08-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Website Find