Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Scream detection?
Zixalf Offline

Threads: 2
Scream detection?

Just a random thought, but I thought I'd share it on here. I think the concept is quite unique.
I've thought of a concept for horror games that adds an optional feature called 'scream detection'. When you create a profile, you can check a box whether you want it enabled or not, and if you check it, you have to scream 4 'example' screams into your microphone going from just a gasp to extreme hardcore screaming.
If you're in the game, you need to wear a headset with a microphone or have your mouth located near a microphone. Now, every time you gasp, shout or scream like a girl, nearby (or far away) monsters will notice you or might even spawn in just to chase you and attempt to kill you. Only if you're absolutely quiet or the noise you're making doesn't match the sound wave of any of your 'example screams' closely, the monsters may go away and despawn.

What do you think of this concept? Smile

PS. Sorry if this concept isn't original at all! Tongue

Hey, I am on YouTube! Please tell me what you think of my videos!
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013, 07:48 PM by Zixalf.)
08-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Website Find
bluel0bster Offline

Threads: 11
RE: Scream detection?

This idea has already been suggest a handful of times before, so I wouldn't really call it original. I don't think it would work for a number of reasons, mainly being that the majority of people playing on their own don't audibly scream when playing horror games (with the exception of let's players who do so for the sake of entertainment).

Also, it would be too easy and tempting for a feature like this just to disconnect your mic; playing with a mic and "scream detection" would just put the player at a pretty significant disadvantage (if you're one of those rare players who audibly reacts to video games).

Additionally, what you're suggesting sounds like a third party software that would somehow have to be integrated with these games, so not only would you need someone to develop this "scream detection" software, but also get the developers to program support for it in their games. And I don't think anybody has ever had a positive experience (with the obvious exception of team chat software such as mumble, ventrilo, etc.) with pack-in third party software (think punkbuster, gamespy, or even the dreaded windows live). This mandatory type of software bogs down games, breaks immersion more than anything, and are generally annoying. I think a "scream detector" would be way more hassle than it's worth. It might provide a little novelty entertainment, but after an hour nobody would want to use it.

And besides all that, FG's not going to do anything like this, so it's not really worth talking about imo.
08-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Find
Zixalf Offline

Threads: 2

Quote: Additionally, what you're suggesting sounds like a third party software that would somehow have to be integrated with these games, so not only would you need someone to develop this "scream detection" software, but also get the developers to program support for it in their games.
Your other arguments why not to support this seem fair, but I got to disagree with this one. I'm a programmer myself and I don't think it would be that hard to compare two sound waves to each other. It would probably take a lot of cpu usage to check on the audio snippet each time, but you can just cut them in chunks and see if any part starts with a similar waveform and continue checking from there. I think any good game company could write something like this internally.

I'd also like to share my personal experiences concerning your previous statement. Although I have to admit I do scream a little louder than I should have to when recording videos just to entertain my audience, I would very probably gasp loudly very often and at some parts I think I would actually scream a bit as well if I were playing a horror game on my own. Then again, I don't know how strong your hearts are Wink
And yes, the suggested feature would only be supposed to be used by mature people who have the guts to keep their mic cables plugged in Smile

Also, this is not a feature request or anything, but I am just curious about what people would think about this.

Hey, I am on YouTube! Please tell me what you think of my videos!
08-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Website Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

It could be a solid idea I guess were it not for the fact that the entire system can be circumvented by not screaming. There do exist people who don't react to danger by screaming. Hell, when I play Amnesia I scarcely say anything at all. Then there are inevitable background noises which unless you have amazingly effective background noise filters on your mic are going to cause you to die. It's just not worth the hassle in my opinion.
08-08-2013, 09:32 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

I played video games for the past three years in a dorm room with five other people all having other stuff of their own to pay attention to.

So yeah, I've pretty much purged the ability to make noises during playing games.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2013, 02:06 AM by Kreekakon.)
08-09-2013, 02:05 AM
Find
maarten12100 Offline

Threads: 0

I can't recall myself ever screaming from a game. (well Brawl but that is a family/friend versus game)
For most users on this forum it isn't going to work at least that is what I figure.
08-09-2013, 02:31 AM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

I think I'll scare the monsters away if I screamed at them lol
08-09-2013, 02:33 AM
Find
BirdhouseInYourSoul Offline

I tend to hiss, rather than scream - and if I'm REALLY scared... Total silence.
08-09-2013, 03:06 AM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

I'm pretty sure a couple of Let's Players would get put out of business if this were to be implemented. Maybe there should a humor detection feature too, so monsters could instantly go after players who make rape jokes.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
08-09-2013, 04:16 AM
Find
cantremember Offline

Threads: 29

The game should detect if a webcam is connected & active. And if so, no monsters or scares should appear ever. That'll clean up youtube for sure. Annoying when I just want to watch some gameplay videos but all Amnesia footage includes a "facecam" with a kid screaming into the mic.
08-09-2013, 09:04 AM
Find