Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Directional sound
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20
Directional sound

Hi,

I'm using PlaySoundAtEntity at a script area, which is positioned where I want a looping sound clip to come from, but when in game, the sound comes from everywhere and its direction becomes confusing (volume gets louder the closer you get though). What I was hoping to achieve is some kind of directional effect which will lead the player roughly to that spot.

I'm not using any kind of gaming headset with 3D audio, just a standard pair of music listening headphones with stereo settings on my computer, but when I play games like Counter-Strike, there is always a strong sense of direction with sound, despite my stereo setup.

I'm using 3d in the .snt file for my sound also.
08-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76
RE: Directional sound

Strange... I have done quite the same with my CS and I can guarantee you that it does the 3d effect... make sure the sound has the 3d=True thing enabled (you can see that by opening the .snt of the sound with a text editor, or that it isn't a problem with your audio equipment (In Audio options, in the main menu).

In case it doesn't have it, set it to true and save that sound in your folder CS/sounds.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
08-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Yeah it is strange, since I do have the 3d set to true. The volume increases with getting closer, but doing a 360 turn on the spot its still sounds like its coming from the player somehow. I'll play with the settings more and see if I can achieve something better.

By the way, using PlaySoundAtEntity works with script areas as the sound position, right?
08-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

You know, this is happening to me too, i think it's the file somehow refusing to be placed somewhere.

Found it. My sound was set to stereo and Amnesia's are mono.
I changed it and it worked.

(This post was last modified: 08-12-2013, 07:34 PM by Daemian.)
08-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Find
The chaser Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 76

(08-12-2013, 06:39 PM)JonnyAnomaly Wrote: Yeah it is strange, since I do have the 3d set to true. The volume increases with getting closer, but doing a 360 turn on the spot its still sounds like its coming from the player somehow. I'll play with the settings more and see if I can achieve something better.

By the way, using PlaySoundAtEntity works with script areas as the sound position, right?

Yes, of course.

Do one thing: Check if there's another sound called exactly like the one you are using. The game may get that one instead yours:

I was doing stuff in my CS, when I had to use a sound with randomized tracks. However, when it played, only one track was played. That was because there already was a file with the same name but edited from the inside, that came from a custom story-you might want to check that.

THE OTHERWORLD (WIP)
[Image: k6vbdhu]

Aculy iz dolan.
08-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Find
Damascus Offline

Threads: 118

I've also had that problem depending on whether the .ogg itself is stereo or mono. Don't remember which is the right one, though.

08-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

I'm using audacity to export my .ogg, so it might be something in there that needs to be changed. So far I've tried a few things but it doesn't seem change anything..

Thanks Damascus, its working now - The sound needs to be made mono in Audacity before exporting. I made the track mono in the track's drop down menu, and deleted its other (stereo) track. Now it sounds like its coming from one spot, not everywhere.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2013, 04:28 PM by JonnyAnomaly.)
08-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Find