Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Penumbra Requiem : What to expect?
ROT51 Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Penumbra Requiem : What to expect?

You forgot the Commodore 64. Good old cassette tapesBig Grin
08-17-2008, 08:22 AM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

Penumbra on casette tapes! Big Grin

08-17-2008, 06:48 PM
Website Find
shifty Offline

Threads: 3

Im hoping the writers of the game mimic the gameplay in Penumbra Black Plague and that is to not give us any weapons what so ever. Giving the player something to defend themselves with completely takes away the fear of being defenseless and alone in a dark abandoned place. The infected dogs and over sized spiders in Penumbra Overture didn't even scare me because i knew i could defeat them.

Guys remember that Penumbra manages to successfully scare us and be original because they know what humans fear most and that is being: defenseless, alone, powerless, in the dark, uncertain(dont know what this evil is and can not kill the infected humans), unpredictable (Doom 3 scare tactics was too predicable thus killing the scariness) and does not copy the "girl with black hair long enough to cover her face" ghost theme.

Game review sites are stating that Penumbra stands out from the rest of the horror video games because of the fact of how its not another F.E.A.R (note: i anit bashing F.E.A.R fyi im a fan and i found it not that scary as Penumbra).
08-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Find
Penumbra Offline

Threads: 7

Yeah, I love the uncertain part of the game. That's the only reason I kept on playing. I wanted to find out so badly what was going on down there and I loved how the game left us with things to think about.
08-17-2008, 07:43 PM
Find
Lornex Offline

Threads: 1

shifty Wrote:Im hoping the writers of the game mimic the gameplay in Penumbra Black Plague and that is to not give us any weapons what so ever. Giving the player something to defend themselves with completely takes away the fear of being defenseless and alone in a dark abandoned place. The infected dogs and over sized spiders in Penumbra Overture didn't even scare me because i knew i could defeat them.

Guys remember that Penumbra manages to successfully scare us and be original because they know what humans fear most and that is being: defenseless, alone, powerless, in the dark, uncertain(dont know what this evil is and can not kill the infected humans), unpredictable (Doom 3 scare tactics was too predicable thus killing the scariness) and does not copy the "girl with black hair long enough to cover her face" ghost theme.

Game review sites are stating that Penumbra stands out from the rest of the horror video games because of the fact of how its not another F.E.A.R (note: i anit bashing F.E.A.R fyi im a fan and i found it not that scary as Penumbra).

Yes I definitely agree. I never really liked F.E.A.R or Doom 3 because it's so focused on shooting than story and atmosphere. I also don't like the "make you jump" type of horror games, I don't find them as scary as other types that are more focused on atmosphere. I hoping the writers use the "Penumbra Overture/Black Plague" style of horror, because I think it is very good. I also hope they make the ending nice. I'm expecting this anyway, I doubt the writers would change it too much.
08-17-2008, 11:14 PM
Find
Penumbra Offline

Threads: 7

Lornex Wrote:
shifty Wrote:Im hoping the writers of the game mimic the gameplay in Penumbra Black Plague and that is to not give us any weapons what so ever. Giving the player something to defend themselves with completely takes away the fear of being defenseless and alone in a dark abandoned place. The infected dogs and over sized spiders in Penumbra Overture didn't even scare me because i knew i could defeat them.

Yes I definitely agree. I never really liked F.E.A.R or Doom 3 because it's so focused on shooting than story and atmosphere. I also don't like the "make you jump" type of horror games, I don't find them as scary as other types that are more focused on atmosphere. I hoping the writers use the "Penumbra Overture/Black Plague" style of horror, because I think it is very good. I also hope they make the ending nice, like Philip manages to get to the surface and find a small town, or some ending that really clearly tells you what happens to Philip. I'm expecting this anyway, I doubt the writers would change it too much.

Really? I'd rather not know exatly what happens to Philip. I like having something to disscuss afterwards.
08-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Find
eliasfrost Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Mixing jumpscares and the current mode sounds very interesting. Like moving in a dark room- Just when you are about to open a door, the light turns off and you struggle in panic trying to find the lightswitch or something.

One suggestion in Requiem would be to find the flashlight in the middle of the game. making the beginning even more scary without a proper lightsource, except the overpowered glowstickSmile

And I must agree, having weapons in horror games just kills the tension, you shoot the danger out and you're safe! What's so scary with that? I never thought Doom as a horrorgame really. FEAR is a horrorgame already but it lacks in some parts too, like weapons.

But so do Penumbra, it lacks in many ways too. It never really scared me, I want something perfect, something that scares me to death so that I can't fall asleep in many days. Penumbra was only scary for the moment while playing, it never left something behind. And that's what I want.

I'm currently working on a horrorgame myself, but I can't say it's better, it's even worse than penumbra. But I'm trying to combine jumps and atmosphere, which Penumbra did not.

With this expansion, Penumbra has done it's part. I don't think it needs another sequel. I hope Lux Tenebras has improved atmosphere, tension and absolute scaryness.

With this, I hope Requiem will reach the top of the mountain which it's prequels could not. And I highly doubt that actually.

I have a strange feeling that Fanboys and girls want to strangle me now... Wink

[Image: indiedb_88x31.png]
08-17-2008, 11:42 PM
Find
wild09 Offline

Threads: 0

I definitely want a strong story for this game. I was really disappointed by black plague with it's lack of interesting diaries and logs from what survivors were going though like the first game had. The only one we got was the guy who was turning into a wolf and for me it was one of the most interesting points of black plague for me. That's why I was kinda sad that we didn't get to see him. I was really hoping for maybe a chase sense or something with the wolf guy or something.

So different enemies and story are my big thing.
08-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Find
Petike Offline

Threads: 35

Gyne Wrote:I don't think the Turngait were/are necessarily evil but trying to survive on their own. There amount of power and force gives them an air of villainy; but notice they aren't trying to take over the world.

Yes, apparently.

"You... silly Billy !" (Clarence, Penumbra : Black Plague)
08-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Find
Im_Sexy Offline

Threads: 21

so the dogs aare controlled by the Turngait right
08-19-2008, 12:24 AM
Find