Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.18 Average
Questions & FAQ about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Requirements
spidernetlabs Offline

Threads: 1
RE: Questions about Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs Requirements

(08-24-2013, 02:50 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: No prob. You should really upgrade that graphics card if you can though. Everything else in your rig can hold out for just a mite longer without too many huge issues, but it's mainly your graphics card which is holding everything back Smile
Yeah, but since it's an iMac, the GPU can't be upgraded Dodgy
Not a big deal, I'm planning to buy a new custom built window based PC in the near future.

@plutomaniac: I'm aware that the GPU is the bottleneck. I hope I will still enjoy the game. Thanks anyway

08-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Just a heads up to anyone here. I'll try to answer any questions if I feel like I know what the answer might be. However if my answers contradict pluto's go with his, because he's like more well informed than I am! I'm just a guy with a bit of computer experience trying to help out when I can. Wink

That being said I have some questions of my own:

I have two computers, and I'm positive their CPUs are okay (Probably not; see edit) but mainly a bit worried about how the graphics cards will hold out. Mostly one over the other since one is from a slightly more dated class.

1st: ATI 5770
2nd: GTX 550

Note: I run my games at 1440x900 because my parents thought it was a bright idea to buy computer screens for me without my guidance multiple times, and ended up buying ones which fell short of supporting 1080p by only a bit of money.

EDIT: Oh, and something I forgot mentioning is that the 2nd computer comes with an AMD Athlon x4, though I forgot which model it was. That should be put into consideration as well.

The first computer uses a i5 750 which should be just fine...I guess?

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2013, 03:34 PM by Kreekakon.)
08-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

(08-24-2013, 03:09 PM)spidernetlabs Wrote: @plutomaniac: I'm aware that the GPU is the bottleneck. I hope I will still enjoy the game. Thanks anyway

I'm positive you will enjoy it at low (maybe lowest due to memory) settings. Have fun! Smile

(08-24-2013, 03:23 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Just a heads up to anyone here. I'll try to answer any questions if I feel like I know what the answer might be. However if my answers contradict pluto's go with his, because he's like more well informed than I am! I'm just a guy with a bit of computer experience trying to help out when I can. Wink

Don't worry, your help is appreciated. If I see something that I believe might not be accurate I'll let you and the guy who asked know. I don't know everything, and thus I regularly search the internet to be sure about specific hardware specifications.

Edit: fixed a typo, I meant everything, not anything! (obviously) Smile

(08-24-2013, 03:23 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: That being said I have some questions of my own:

I have two computers, and I'm positive their CPUs are okay (Probably not; see edit) but mainly a bit worried about how the graphics cards will hold out. Mostly one over the other since one is from a slightly more dated class.

1st: ATI 5770
2nd: GTX 550

Note: I run my games at 1440x900 because my parents thought it was a bright idea to buy computer screens for me without my guidance multiple times, and ended up buying ones which fell short of supporting 1080p by only a bit of money.

EDIT: Oh, and something I forgot mentioning is that the 2nd computer comes with an AMD Athlon x4, though I forgot which model it was. That should be put into consideration as well.

The first computer uses a i5 750 which should be just fine...I guess?

Both systems can definitely run the Pigs. I used to have an ATI 5770 at a computer with an i5 750 as well (coincidence? Tongue) and it could run Amnesia perfectly fine at maximum settings if I remember correctly. The 5770 is 25% worse than a 460 so as I said above, you should be great at medium->high.

The other computer with the 550 will be able to play the pigs at Medium I presume without problems. Again, take in mind that I have not tested the pigs yet. These are assumptions based on the requirements we are given at the moment. The 4-core cpu is fine. It may be older but it has the cores to support the game. And because they are both (gpu & cpu) similar in class/age, I don't think you will experience any obvious bottleneck.
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2013, 03:53 PM by plutomaniac.)
08-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(08-24-2013, 03:50 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Don't worry, your help is appreciated. If I see something that I believe might not be accurate I'll let you and the guy who asked know. I don't know everything, and thus I regularly search the internet to be sure about specific hardware specifications.

Edit: fixed a typo, I meant everything, not anything! (obviously) Smile

Hehe certainly! I'll also let people know whenever I might be feeling any uncertainty at info I gave out, so they know there might be a chance it's not 100% accurate!

(08-24-2013, 03:50 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Both systems can definitely run the Pigs. I used to have an ATI 5770 at a computer with an i5 750 as well (coincidence? Tongue) and it could run Amnesia perfectly fine at maximum settings if I remember correctly. The 5770 is 25% worse than a 460 so as I said above, you should be great at medium->high.

The other computer with the 550 will be able to play the pigs at Medium I presume without problems. Again, take in mind that I have not tested the pigs yet. These are assumptions based on the requirements we are given at the moment. The 4-core cpu is fine. It may be older but it has the cores to support the game. And because they are both (gpu & cpu) similar in class/age, I don't think you will experience any obvious bottleneck.

Even on 1440x900 resolution?

Image by BandyGrass
08-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Find
Elijah.the.Mango Offline

Hi. Ok, so I just registered an account literally 5 minutes ago. Now I can formally ask this question:

I'm EXTREMELY excited to get this game. I have over 8GB of RAM, and my graphics card driver is updated, but I just went to GameDebate.com, and it said that my CPU will not run the game at all.

My CPU is: Intel i7 640LM 2.13 Ghz. I thought this was close to the recommended settings (I'm not a big computer geek lol), but I could be wrong. Could I run AAMFP possibly on this CPU, or do I need to update it?
08-24-2013, 03:55 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(08-24-2013, 03:55 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Even on 1440x900 resolution?

Yes. You said that the 550 is running at that resolution, right? That's why I said medium with confidence. If it was 1080, it might had some performance issues due to the bigger resolution. I wouldn't worry about the pigs not being playable at either systems. Especially the i5 one should be very well playable.

(08-24-2013, 03:55 PM)Elijah.the.Mango Wrote: Hi. Ok, so I just registered an account literally 5 minutes ago. Now I can formally ask this question:

I'm EXTREMELY excited to get this game. I have over 8GB of RAM, and my graphics card driver is updated, but I just went to GameDebate.com, and it said that my CPU will not run the game at all.

My CPU is: Intel i7 640LM 2.13 Ghz. I thought this was close to the recommended settings (I'm not a big computer geek lol), but I could be wrong. Could I run AAMFP possibly on this CPU, or do I need to update it?

This old i7 is like a modern i3 so you should be fine as far as the cpu goes. What's the specs of the rest of the system?
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2013, 04:07 PM by plutomaniac.)
08-24-2013, 04:01 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

(08-24-2013, 04:01 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: Yes. You said that the 550 is running at that resolution, right. That's why I said medium with confidence. If it was 1080, it might have some performance issues at bigger resolutions.

Ah alright then. Good to know!

Although to be frank with my experience I was kind of expecting that rig to run something a bit higher than a solid medium perhaps up to medium-high on the high side. Guess we'll both know for sure come release date!

EDIT:
(08-24-2013, 04:01 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: I wouldn't worry about the pigs not being playable at either systems. Especially the i5 one should be very well playable.

Nah I was pretty sure it was playable. Just a bit concerned about quality of play that's all.

And funnily enough the i5 machine is the one I'm going to play it first on since the other computer is the one I use when I'm at school, and I'm home for summer right now Tongue

Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2013, 04:09 PM by Kreekakon.)
08-24-2013, 04:07 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

(08-24-2013, 04:07 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Ah alright then. Good to know!

Although to be frank with my experience I was kind of expecting that rig to run something a bit higher than a solid medium perhaps up to medium-high on the high side. Guess we'll both know for sure come release date!

Perhaps it will but because I cannot know for certain without first playing/testing the game I prefer to stay on the safe side of solid Medium. As you said, we will know when the pigs are out. Wink

(08-24-2013, 04:07 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: Nah I was pretty sure it was playable. Just a bit concerned about quality of play that's all.

If I can predict I would say high for the i5 system and medium for the Athlon II X4 one.

(08-24-2013, 04:07 PM)Kreekakon Wrote: And funnily enough the i5 machine is the one I'm going to play it first on since the other computer is the one I use when I'm at school, and I'm home for summer right now Tongue

Even better, not the slightest reason to worry then! Cool
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2013, 04:13 PM by plutomaniac.)
08-24-2013, 04:09 PM
Find
Elijah.the.Mango Offline

(08-24-2013, 04:01 PM)plutomaniac Wrote: This old i7 is like a modern i3 so you should be fine as far as the cpu goes. What's the specs of the rest of the system?

My computer is a Windows 7. The graphics card driver.......... ok maybe i overexaggerated when I said it's updated. It's actually an Intel HD Graphics driver. FG said that it "should" work, but ATDD didn't work so idk.

On the other hand, I have 8 GB of ram. Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 08-24-2013, 06:05 PM by plutomaniac.)
08-24-2013, 04:33 PM
Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

So you are using the integrated Intel HD graphics of the i7 cpu, right? No dedicated graphics card? In that case, you need to update your drivers to the latest version from intel.com and then you will be able to play Amnesia. The pigs should barely work at the lowest possible settings (again, make sure your drivers are fully updated using the have disk method).
08-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Find