Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Full Conversion vs Custom Stories?
GoreGrinder99 Offline

Threads: 47
Full Conversion vs Custom Stories?

I have a few uneducated questions to ask... What are the differences from a Custom Story and a Full Conversion? All I'm aware of in a Full Conversion is that you have the ability to alter pretty much anything you desire, such as texts, lantern model, but really, that is all I pretty much got out of it.

I know that you can import custom models in a Full Conversion but I have seen others add custom imports to Custom Stories, including skyboxes, textures and other things.

I'm currently working on a "Full Conversion?" as of now but that might change due to the differences between the two mods. I have chose a Full Conversion due to needing a flashlight and wanting to change texts for my story and import custom files.

Could I get a pros/cons and/or differences list? What can you do in a Full Conversion that you can't do in a Custom Story and vise-versus?

-Grind to the Gore-
08-19-2013, 01:15 AM
Find
No Author Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 10
RE: Full Conversion vs Custom Stories?

For me, there's only a few differences in full conversion. You can change how fast the oil for the lantern runs out, custom tinderboxes (like in White Night where tinderbox is a light bulb), custom outline color, custom voice for the player (like in Justine), etc.

This is what I know about the differences.

[Image: the-cabin-in-the-woods-masked-people.jpg]
08-19-2013, 03:23 AM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

Anyone else?

-Grind to the Gore-
08-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Find
LHudson Offline

Threads: 9

I'd say that the necessity of a full conversion mod depends on whether or not it would be beneficial to you. Sure you have stories like White Night and Through The Portal use the full conversion properties to their advantages, but then you have stories like Rain and The Dark Treasure that achieve what they want wonderfully without the need of full conversion.

[Image: sigpic401029_1.gif]
08-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Find
OriginalUsername Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

I think an FC is useful when you're going to change the entire game. New menu, custom lantern, and some other stuff you can't touch in an CS.
08-19-2013, 07:20 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

There are significant and insignificant differences between a full conversion and a regular custom story. Significant differences deal with adjusting game mechanics by editing configuration files. Insignificant differences deal with the ability to adjust presentation of your custom story (e.g. pre-menu, main menu, loading screen image, fonts, etc). The reason why a full conversion is recommended for flashlights is simply to avoid overwriting the original Amnesia content. Do note that full conversions have the tendency of being problematic or inconvenient to the user (and sometimes the developer), so unless you really need to (i.e. touch on mostly the significant reasons stated here), you should consider a regular custom story over a full conversion.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-19-2013, 07:58 PM
Website Find
Artyom Offline

Threads: 27

I'd say Full conversions keeps a better standard when it comes to the final release, mainly because people tend to take a full conversion mod more seriously and put more time and effort into making it something unique and keep a higher standard of things. Also due to the fact that people prefer custom stories before full conversions, this is kinda strange though. I mean it's very easy to install a full conversion mod and if people can create these custom stories with coding, mapping etc, they should be able to install a full conversion... Ofcourse it isn't like this in every case, there is still a ton of great Custom storys, but if you'd go a more quality difference I'd say that full conversions keep a higher standard when it comes to released mods.

Note: This is only my personal opinion though, and there's no need to comment about it...

- Inactive account -
08-19-2013, 08:17 PM
Find
GoreGrinder99 Offline

Thank you all for the input!

-Grind to the Gore-
08-19-2013, 11:21 PM
Find