Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Making A New Gaming PC
summit Offline

Threads: 20
Making A New Gaming PC

Hi guys,

In this thread, we can discuss how to make a new gaming laptop/desktop and show users the steps of a making a good gaming PC.

And I actually like AMD's products and I build a really good gaming PC AMD-based.

+ I hate Windows 8, because I really like the Windows 7's start menu.

So am I wrong? Correct me with your ideas.

08-28-2013, 07:20 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Making A New Gaming PC

- As I know, you can't build a laptop.
- I prefer Intel and nVIDIA.
- Correct, Windows 7 is actually the best operating system.
08-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-28-2013, 07:49 PM)Googolplex Wrote: - As I know, you can't build a laptop.
- Correct, Windows XP is actually the best operating system.

Fixed.
08-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

If the only thing that bothers you about Windows 8 is the lack of a start menu button, then wait for Windows 8.1 update (although, you could still use the Windows key). That update will bring back the button. If you just want a different start menu all together, there are awesome alternatives, like Pokki and StartMenu Reviver (i use Pokki on Windows 7, but i plan on making my own anyway). I like the style of Windows 8, but i like the organization of Windows 7.

@Windows XP vs Windows 7

Windows XP is actually slower on newer systems, and Windows 7 has better APIs and features than XP and performs really well on modern systems.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
08-28-2013, 08:03 PM
Website Find
Red Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 49

(08-28-2013, 08:03 PM)Your Computer Wrote: If the only thing that bothers you about Windows 8 is the lack of a start menu button, then wait for Windows 8.1 update (although, you could still use the Windows key). That update will bring back the button. If you just want a different start menu all together, there are awesome alternatives, like Pokki and StartMenu Reviver (i use Pokki on Windows 7, but i plan on making my own anyway). I like the style of Windows 8, but i like the organization of Windows 7.

@Windows XP vs Windows 7

Windows XP is actually slower on newer systems, and Windows 7 has better APIs and features than XP and performs really well on modern systems.

But Gabe Newell hates windows 8Sad
08-28-2013, 08:10 PM
Find
summit Offline

- Correct, Windows 7 is actually the best operating system.
Yes you can actually. I mean changing graphic card, etc.
(08-28-2013, 07:52 PM)Bridge Wrote:
- Correct, Windows XP is actually the best operating system.

Fixed.
Isn't it slow?
(08-28-2013, 08:03 PM)Your Computer Wrote: If the only thing that bothers you about Windows 8 is the lack of a start menu [b]b], then wait for Windows 8.1 update (although, you could still use the Windows key). That update will bring back the button. If you just want a different start menu all together, there are awesome alternatives, like Pokki and StartMenu Reviver (i use Pokki on Windows 7, but i plan on making my own anyway). I like the style of Windows 8, but i like the organization of Windows 7.

@Windows XP vs Windows 7

Like you said, W7 was a whole new technology for me.

Pyöveli Wrote:But Gabe Newell hates windows 8Sad
08-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

(08-28-2013, 08:36 PM)Arbies Wrote: Isn't it slow?

It was mostly a joke, but I actually have no idea. I think it is safe to take YC's word on it though. I simply do not like any of the developments Microsoft have made since XP. Aesthetically it was the most pleasing in my opinion and the enforced idiot protection that is UAC has caused me nothing more than annoyance and there are very few upsides. If you aren't an idiot - which I usually am not - then your computer will be absolutely fine. Yes, if a huge supervirus that infects half the internet suddenly comes along you might be a little safer but it is nothing more than an obstacle because people have already made programs that circumvent it quite easily. I can't turn it off because of the virtualization that causes some files, like saved games and game configs to not be recognized, and moving them all is not worth the trouble. Having to click an extra button to install stuff is no problem, but having to jump through unnecessary hoops just to be able to edit files (usually files that aren't that sensitive) on an administrative account (I have no idea why it does not have full rights to everything by default - it may be easier to hack that way, but what is the point in having an administrator account if it cannot administrate?) is annoying as hell. On top of that I just don't like the interface for the most part although it's grown on me somewhat.

EDIT: The school computers are now running on Windows 8 and I find that even more annoying to use. The start menu has no place existing at all and it seems like they arbitrarily changed the locations of certain features just for the hell of it.
(This post was last modified: 08-28-2013, 08:56 PM by Bridge.)
08-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Find
summit Offline

Bridge, actually you are right. But some sh*ts like Microsoft Installer error on W7 is annoys me like hell. That crap blocks any installation/uninstallation. I bought a new Desktop, but I am still going to use W7.
08-28-2013, 09:13 PM
Find
Tomato Cat Offline

Threads: 2

I'm using Win7 as a step up from Vista, so it's better by comparison.

Honestly, though, I've never had any issues that others seem to have. Microsoft's file virtualization hasn't both me and UAC I disabled from the start. Eh, but don't take my word for it. I'm not really a "power user".

Also, I'd say Intel and Nvidia is the route to take.

RAISE YOUR DONGERS ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
08-29-2013, 06:58 AM
Find
summit Offline

(08-29-2013, 06:58 AM)Tomato Cat Wrote: I'm using Win7 as a step up from Vista, so it's better by comparison.

Honestly, though, I've never had any issues that others seem to have. Microsoft's file virtualization hasn't both me and UAC I disabled from the start. Eh, but don't take my word for it. I'm not really a "power user".

Also, I'd say Intel and Nvidia is the route to take.
Win7 wins everytime if you make a comparison and I was a Vista user, I gladly turn my OS inti W7.

About your last sentence, Intel can win sometimes but AMD is better for me.
I used ATI Radeon, in the days which I think ATI is better than nVIDIA. But days passed, I couldn't get the performance from ATI. But it is still an option.
I bought AMD for my new PC, so I continued with AMD Radeon HD. And I don't/won't regret. It is good like nVIDIA, but if you have a good PC.
08-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Find