Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs!
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246
RE: Duration Amnesia A Machine For Pigs!

(09-03-2013, 10:27 PM)Nuits Grace Wrote: @ Goog: What rpgs are those?

Click
09-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

Gothic isn't that good in the terms of story, as you are trying to present it, Gothic 2 story could be rated generic at worst. Comparing it in any way with the next Amnesia is a little bit silly.
09-04-2013, 04:38 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Yeah.

RPGS by nature revolve around gameplay, regardless of how clunky that gameplay is lol.
09-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Find
Googolplex Offline
Banned

Threads: 246

(09-04-2013, 04:38 PM)Zgroktar Wrote: Gothic isn't that good in the terms of story, as you are trying to present it, Gothic 2 story could be rated generic at worst. Comparing it in any way with the next Amnesia is a little bit silly.

Story of the first game is great, but I mean it's a masterpiece of telling.
There are a lot of paralleles to Amnesia. It's almost the same way. The only difference is that Amnesia has more note reading. But how to tell a story, the fact that you don't even know anything about it at the beginning, is the same. You are also just a normal human like in Amnesia, it's not even worth to know your name. And that increased the feeling a lot compared to conventional games in the genre. No matter, there are 100 hours of interesting story telling, what never turned into stretching.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013, 05:17 PM by Googolplex.)
09-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

So it has 100 hours of being told a story?

Or, more likely, the main quest lasted you 100 hours?

Both are very different.

Again, having long quest chains in rpgs is not being told a story. It's moving a bit of story forward through gameplay.

Again... The Elder Scrolls games have long ish quest chains and lore up the wazoo. Their universe is well told throughout lore books. But that's not being told a story. In every single rpg i've played in my life it's always the same: minimum amount of time is spent on the story, the rest is gameplay and personal roleplaying (and farming in the case of jrpgs).

That, again, is a distinction I think you're not making.
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013, 06:13 PM by Cuyir.)
09-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Find
TheUnbeholden Offline
Banned

Threads: 5

Well text adventure games are different. You spend the vast majority talking to people, which advances the plot in either big or small ways, and contributes to the characters and overall story. So they are the exception here to the ~10 hour rule for game length. RPG's focus on gameplay here, so thats how they stretch it out. A linear experience that is more in depth to it's atmosphere, level design, story, tighter gameplay would equal to less. For $20 5-6 hours is acceptable, I'm not to fussed about it be honest because I read about this way back, early this year.
09-05-2013, 11:42 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Well see, I forgot text adventure games.

But yeah, rpgs of all kinds, even the ones that are more story focused, revolve around gameplay. And you basically summed up what I said in less words hahaha.

Also, nice Alucard avy. Smile
09-05-2013, 03:36 PM
Find
Awaclus Offline

Threads: 0

Yeah, there are games out there that are 100+ hours without being stretched. That doesn't mean that every game can be 100+ hours without being stretched. Games are unique in every way, and for some games, 100+ hours is just right without being rushed or stretched, and for some other games, just ten minutes can be right without being rushed or stretched. You should always make the best game you possibly can and then see how long it turned out to be, not make the longest game you possibly can and then see how good it turned out to be.
09-06-2013, 08:39 AM
Find
BoggyB Offline

Threads: 0

I started playing Amnesia at 11pm one night, and it sucked me in. I was glued to the screen until the end credits, and I finished the game by 6 am.

That was a really short game.

But, it was well worth my money, and more. Amazing experience. Plus, there was free DLC. I have not played a Frictional Games or Chinese Room game that I did not like. I trust that this will be epic.

I am really curious about the hush-hush unannounced FG project though...
09-06-2013, 08:56 PM
Find
Darkdesa Offline

Threads: 3

Allright the game is GREAT and I really wish I could play some more (but I'm not going to or I'll finish it too soon) but I think it's really really short.
I've played 4 hours according to my steam count and I can already understand that I'm near the end, how's that? The Dark Descent was a lot longer and I feel very sorry ending this game too soon
09-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Find