Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Serious and Immersive Custom Stories Thread
Lewk Offline

Threads: 6
Serious and Immersive Custom Stories Thread

What are some custom stories that you guys have played that, at some point playing through them, you didn't say to yourself "this is silly", or "this is stupid." I'd say that any custom story that has a jumpscare(s) would go into this category. Now, those custom stories with jumpscares might be very scary or startling, but this is a thread for the most serious and immersive custom mods.

There's a thread for "cliches" (http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-22395.html) that can be seen in abundance among the CS modding community, which goes on to list all the repetitive gameplay mechanics and scare tactics that are tirelessly used so often (in a relevant note unrelated to the aforementioned thread, they typically don't have very convincing plots either, or even if they did, the jumpscares and non-sequitor scare events would remove the seriousness of it).

Anyway, one that I can name off the top of my head:

My Love

It featured almost zero jumpscares so it goes somewhere on the top of the most serious and most immersive, in my opinion, from what I've custom stories I've played so far (also some pretty plentiful voice acting which also increases those two fields).

If anyone else can name any, that would be awesome. Smile

Basically:

No jumpscares, but if there are any, they are used sparingly

No "scary events" or scare tactics that have been used a million times before

No ridiculous plots

And no plots that have been copied and pasted.

Sorry if this is a replica of any threads that have been made before; I searched around and couldn't find anything similar.

EDIT: List of Custom Stories that fit these categories at least to some degree. in my opinion

Followed by Death

My Love

Key to Freedom
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 05:34 AM by Lewk.)
09-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Find
Lewk Offline

RE: Serious and Immersive Custom Stories Thread

I do hope the lack of response is not to imply that there are none of which I spoke of in the previous post. Certainly there are more than just what I had mentioned?

I am aware that these forums are quite inactive right now so that could be a probable cause.

EDIT: (or perhaps very active in some areas causing other areas to be more inactive.)
(This post was last modified: 09-04-2013, 09:22 PM by Lewk.)
09-04-2013, 09:10 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79

There's nothing wrong with re-using or benignly stealing other ideas. It's the whole package that counts.

I love Followed by Death, it uses everything that everyone else does but just does it better.
09-05-2013, 12:43 AM
Find
Lewk Offline

(09-05-2013, 12:43 AM)Rapture Wrote: There's nothing wrong with re-using or benignly stealing other ideas. It's the whole package that counts.

I love Followed by Death, it uses everything that everyone else does but just does it better.

I agree, except when the package is entirely based on the theft in an uninteresting way. I have nothing wrong with the stealing, but when you see something you've seen in the MAIN GAME (as some sort of gameplay or story mechanic) that the mod is for, and when it's done poorly, it increases the boredom exponentially.

I'll try Followed by Death, thanks for the recommendation. Smile

EDIT: I played through and finished the first two chapters of Followed by Death and I think that JMFStorm did a great job with it, and it fit well in what I described (with a few more jumpscares than I'd personally recommend, but overall, it seemed fine). The environments were on the same level of quality, of not exceeding at times, as the main game's. Everything you interacted with was explained properly, and there were no notably large scripting errors, which is a massive change from the custom stories I've looked at recently. Thanks for sharing that with me, Rapture.

Followed by Death gets a pass from me on being scary and immersive.
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 05:28 AM by Lewk.)
09-05-2013, 03:08 AM
Find
LHudson Offline

Threads: 9

Rain, Key to Freedom, Dark Treasure, Through The Portal, La Caza, Great Work, that's your week sorted Smile

[Image: sigpic401029_1.gif]
09-05-2013, 04:12 AM
Find
Lewk Offline

(09-05-2013, 04:12 AM)LHudson Wrote: Rain, Key to Freedom, Dark Treasure, Through The Portal, La Caza, Great Work, that's your week sorted Smile

Thanks. Actually, I already played through Key to Freedom, and had forgotten about it. It also probably fits into the categories. Smile
09-05-2013, 05:33 AM
Find
Statyk Offline
Schrödinger's Mod

Threads: 72

I haven't played any in awhile really, but two that I can really remember off the top of my head are Poisonous and The Machine. I thoroughly enjoyed those two the whole way through.
09-05-2013, 06:55 AM
Find
Lewk Offline

I've been playing through Rain and honestly, it's surprisingly awful for what I saw on the moddb page. The levels are nicely detailed (I don't know if the structure is good though), but the tasks are so illogical, familiar, and boring, that it kind of makes me sick. The overall story is completely trash, and the way that the game tells it is even worse. Jumpscares inserted every 10 feet and generic monster chases not too further. The voice acting is semi-impressive but it doesn't make up for everything else that failed. Just my humble opinion. Sad Thanks for sharing anyway though, LHudson. Smile
(This post was last modified: 09-05-2013, 06:36 PM by Lewk.)
09-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Find
Cyfiawn Offline

Threads: 8

Just want to add our recently uploaded mod, The Four Horsemen!

Friction Thread: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-22726.html

ModDB Page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-four-horsemen

The Four Horsemen - Custom Story
http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-four-horsemen
09-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Find
Lewk Offline

(09-05-2013, 09:49 PM)Cyfiawn Wrote: Just want to add our recently uploaded mod, The Four Horsemen!

Friction Thread: http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-22726.html

ModDB Page: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-four-horsemen

Thanks for the contribution, Cyfiawn. I'll make sure to check it out.
09-05-2013, 11:16 PM
Find