Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Nostalgia trouble
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176
Nostalgia trouble

Lately, I've been experiencing periodic bouts of intense and almost crippling nostalgia.

Two days ago, I was walking down a street lined with food shops when it became really dark. The sun was setting behind dark purple clouds and the sky was a dull pink colour. I was instantly reminded of myself at ages 6 - 10 when I used to do a lot of evening and nighttime shopping. No particular memory comes to mind, just a period of time when evening shopping was prevalent in my life, and I suddenly felt extremely sad.

Just yesterday, I went for a chilly nighttime walk, particularly to do some stargazing. I recently moved to a quiet suburban location so the view is much clearer here. I don't even recall what memory triggered here but again I felt an intense sadness simply gazing up at the stars. It's a very wistful sort of sadness that causes me to experience a brief burst of happiness, but afterwards I sink into a brooding state which feels rather depressing.

Only about an hour ago I listened to a piano piece that I had enjoyed a lot back when I was 12 and I experienced this nostalgia again. I've always felt nostalgic in response to a variety of things, but never this intense. It hasn't developed to the point where the nostalgia is distracting me from my daily functioning, but it has gotten pretty close - I've stopped before and stood still for several minutes just to reminisce only to feel very depressed afterwards.

Does this happen to everybody around my age (18), or should I see a councillor?

[Image: p229xcq]
09-07-2013, 04:16 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43
RE: Nostalgia trouble

I experience this too, and I'm 29. I've experienced it throughout my life, and it hadn't occurred to me that it might be a problem I should get help with...but it's definitely something I wish I didn't experience.

Do you have any other issues? Maybe it's co-morbid with something like social anxiety? You mentioned feeling depressed when the nostalgia hits; do you get depressed at any other times?

This is pretty interesting to me, especially because you explained the experience really, really well, which is something that had held me back from talking about it before. It's difficult to put into words.

I definitely think you should see a counsellor, and please pass on any info you get! haha
09-07-2013, 04:37 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

(09-07-2013, 04:37 AM)Paddy Wrote: Do you have any other issues? Maybe it's co-morbid with something like social anxiety? You mentioned feeling depressed when the nostalgia hits; do you get depressed at any other times?
I've never been diagnosed before. Sometimes, though, I do have a bit of trouble pulling myself out of bed in the morning because of a lingering fear that there's nothing for me to look forward to in the day.

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2013, 05:17 AM by Froge.)
09-07-2013, 05:17 AM
Find
Focalize Offline

Threads: 6

(09-07-2013, 05:17 AM)Chronofrog Wrote:
(09-07-2013, 04:37 AM)Paddy Wrote: Do you have any other issues? Maybe it's co-morbid with something like social anxiety? You mentioned feeling depressed when the nostalgia hits; do you get depressed at any other times?
I've never been diagnosed before. Sometimes, though, I do have a bit of trouble pulling myself out of bed in the morning because of a lingering fear that there's nothing for me to look forward to in the day.

dood you can always wake up for food

[Image: tumblr_mqgl69kyLV1ql2603o1_500.jpg]
09-07-2013, 07:20 AM
Find
Bridge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

I've gone through this many times before and it does pass in my experience. I don't really dislike the feeling though, you get the chance to experience some incredibly powerful emotions.
09-07-2013, 10:32 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

Most of the times when I go through those nostalgic episodes I feel happy, a sort of bittersweet happiness but happiness nevertheless.

There are a few times where it leads to sadness, not full blown out depression though, but those are in the minority.

I don't know if they pass but i've experienced them through my teens and now young adulthood. I think it (it being if it passes or not) depends on the personality. I love it (most times) when it hits. I might be dead to the world for awhile but I enjoy it.
09-07-2013, 03:55 PM
Find
Daemian Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 42

Maybe you're just lonely.

09-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Find