Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 21 Vote(s) - 4.62 Average
Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues
Jazz Offline

Threads: 0
Solved: 10 Years, 2 Months, 4 Weeks ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

Okay. So here's what I did:

I reverted back to really, really old drivers. Catalyst 11.11, to be exact. I didn't have anything to lose... Or so I thought. Because Amnesia runs on OpenGL, I thought that maybe reverting to those old drivers might do the trick since id's Rage only runs on my PC using those exact drivers.

Guess what? No improvement what-so-ever. Along the way of uninstalling and reinstalling I ran into a "Steam client bootstrapper" error also. That sounds a bit kinky, doesn't it? "Bootstrapper." Anyway: I couldn't get Steam to run again. I knew those AMD/ATI drivers suck in a notorious kind of way (I found out the hard way a month ago), but I didn't know they were also able to totally f*ck up unrelated software. Afterwards I found out I suddenly had to force Windows 7 compatibility/administrator rights through Steam's throat. Never had to do that before! F*ckin' A.

Disabling/enabling Catalyst AI didn't do squat either. So yeah, I learned something new today: never underestimate AMD's drivers. Things are really clear to me now: I will never buy anything remotely related to AMD again. But hey, I'm stuck here with this piece of sh*t old PC that otherwise functions fine and runs recent games pretty well, so I would like AAMFP to run. AMD's ability to suck on incredible incomprehensible levels isn't an excuse for FPS drops.

I think I've had my share of troubleshooting today, so I will just wait silently in the corner until Steam starts updating...
09-11-2013, 07:22 PM
Find
alus992 Offline

Solved: 10 Years, 2 Months, 4 Weeks ago RE: Stuttering, Small freezes and framerate Issues

I must say that this sad tale was very enterteining to read - sorryBig Grin But anyway good luck!Smile
09-11-2013, 07:30 PM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

I posted this already but I will try to go more in-depth this time.
I used to have stuttering too, still do have but very minor. I'll tell you the things I changed:

Defrag hard drive is the main one, this fixed most of the stuttering with sounds.
Updated graphics card drivers, not sure if this even helped actually.
Lowered my settings a bit and got a higher framerate, however, later on in the
game I was able to increase them without having any performance issues. I also seemed to stop having so many freezes at this point.
This is where I was able to increase them
Spoiler below!

After you get out of the mansion area and down into the part with the fuses. At least I
think this is where, could've been a bit later on.

My graphics card is Nvidia Geforce GTX 650 Ti
CPU: Intel® Core™2 Duo Cpu E8400 @ 3.00 GHz

I'm going to start a new profile and test the game with everything I can think of to make this easier for you Jens.

In the start, there are still stutters and messed up framerate even with all graphics settings turned to low, vsync is off, and the program is set to run with realtime priority.
I also noticed stutters when I was editing settings in the menu.
Actually, these settings didn't seem to have any effect on performance
at all, I would get the same result with maxed settings and with lowest.

I tested this again with the resolution at 1600x900 instead of my native 1920x1080, there was no difference.

I then disabled every background program I had running, steam windows, antivirus, Skype, even this browser I was writing this post on. I noticed visible improvement (resolution at 1600x900, lowest settings), although there was still some small freezes and frame drops. Turned all settings to max, no different. I then restarted the game in my native resolution, loaded it up and I experienced more freezes than I had with those settings on 1600x900. All of this while I had the program in realtime.

Tested TDD again, had no stuttering whatsoever. This is a very unique problem indeed, my friend plays AMFP with similar specs to mine and he doesn't have any problems at all.

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-11-2013, 07:34 PM by Damascus Rose.)
09-11-2013, 07:32 PM
Find
rattlehead Offline

(09-11-2013, 07:22 PM)Jazz Wrote: Okay. So here's what I did:

I reverted back to really, really old drivers. Catalyst 11.11, to be exact. I didn't have anything to lose... Or so I thought. Because Amnesia runs on OpenGL, I thought that maybe reverting to those old drivers might do the trick since id's Rage only runs on my PC using those exact drivers.

Guess what? No improvement what-so-ever. Along the way of uninstalling and reinstalling I ran into a "Steam client bootstrapper" error also. That sounds a bit kinky, doesn't it? "Bootstrapper." Anyway: I couldn't get Steam to run again. I knew those AMD/ATI drivers suck in a notorious kind of way (I found out the hard way a month ago), but I didn't know they were also able to totally f*ck up unrelated software. Afterwards I found out I suddenly had to force Windows 7 compatibility/administrator rights through Steam's throat. Never had to do that before! F*ckin' A.

Disabling/enabling Catalyst AI didn't do squat either. So yeah, I learned something new today: never underestimate AMD's drivers. Things are really clear to me now: I will never buy anything remotely related to AMD again. But hey, I'm stuck here with this piece of sh*t old PC that otherwise functions fine and runs recent games pretty well, so I would like AAMFP to run. AMD's ability to suck on incredible incomprehensible levels isn't an excuse for FPS drops.

I think I've had my share of troubleshooting today, so I will just wait silently in the corner until Steam starts updating...

That is strange..I never had problems with AMD drivers, as a matter of fact they are very good these days, even better than Nvidia ones in my opinion.
Hey but i am running a HD 7950, i dont know if older GPU´s have problems or not.
09-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Find
spidernetlabs Offline

Threads: 1

I want to report my situation with this issue:
first of all the game runs on a mid 2010 iMac with these specs
CPU: Intel i3 540 3.06 Ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4670 256Mb
RAM: 8 Gb 1333 MHz DDR3

Resolution: 1920x1080 (native)

and with these settings:
Resolution: 1920x1080 (native)
Texture: Medium - Bilinear
Shadow quality: Low
Shadow resolution: Low
SSAO: Off - Resolution Medium, 4 samples
Anisotropic: Off
Parallax: Off
Antialias: Off
V-Sync: Off

Everything else is On.

During the first level I encountered some minor lag/stutter as I mentioned here. I played another 2 maybe 3 levels and the stutter became higher. Then I noticed that jens said that reducing MaxChannels, StreamBuffers and StreamBufferSize could help*. And it improved the frame stability a bit.
Today the game was updated with a patch that introduced a video setting called "Adaptive V-Sync". So I decided to give it a shot. While Adaptive V-Sync was enabled I noticed some improvement. The game still stutter some times, I think it's my GPU fault, but the frame drop is not that high. So the issue it's still there, but at least I can enjoy the game.

*Open main_settings.cfg file with a text editor and change MaxChannels="64" StreamBuffers="8" StreamBufferSize="262144" with MaxChannels="32" StreamBuffers="4" StreamBufferSize="131072"

09-11-2013, 08:22 PM
Website Find
plutomaniac Offline
Super Moderator

Threads: 45

I finally started playing the game today and I have everything to maximum (except SSAO at medium -> high is visually useless and VERY power hungry). I don't get any stutters or freezes.

GPU: 660 Ti
RAM: 8GB
CPU: i5-3570K
SSD: OCZ Vertex 2

(09-11-2013, 07:22 PM)Jazz Wrote: Okay. So here's what I did:

Go HERE and try Question 3. That should fix any corrupted drivers.
09-11-2013, 08:43 PM
Find
lovebunny Offline

(09-11-2013, 09:09 AM)jens Wrote: Because if it were a sole issue with the game, then ALOT more people would post about this on the forum.

Maybe people are just silently waiting for a fix, because they don't want to be impatient with a game that has just been released. At least I did, until I read Jens post.

Now I signed up to say, that I am having exactly the same problems. None of the suggested fixes worked. TDD worked perfect. My rig (hpl.log attached):
  • Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
  • GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Newest Geforce 320.49 Driver)
  • 6GB RAM
  • OCZ Vertex3 SSD
  • Steinberg UR22 Audiointerface (Asio Buffer 128 Samples)

Lowering MaxChannels, StreamBuffers and StreamBufferSize in the main_settings.cfg resulted in a slight improovement. By setting ShowFPS="false" in user_settings.cfg I could figure out, that it is the GameLogic and not the RenderLogic that causses the stuttering. It happens reproducable when new sounds are being played.

Hope this can be fixed. Love all Frictional Games and wanna enjoy AMFP! Don't give up on us! Smile

Win7 64Bit, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, 6GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, Steinberg UR22 audio interface.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 01:17 AM by lovebunny.)
09-11-2013, 08:45 PM
Find
AbbTheGamer Offline

I got Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs on Steam and my game has a constant lag. My computer runs with no problem and it has lots of space. One thing I don't want is there to be a monster and a lag spike at the same time. It seems be worse when I have lantern on.
09-11-2013, 10:41 PM
Find
lovebunny Offline

Forgot to attach my hpl.log. Here it is.

Attached Files
.log   hpl.log (Size: 66.44 KB / Downloads: 103)

Win7 64Bit, GeForce GTX 560 Ti, Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400, 6GB RAM, OCZ Vertex3 SSD, Steinberg UR22 audio interface.
09-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Find
lovebunny Offline

Ok, I solved the problem for me by using a veeeeery dirty hack. Smile It's probably not the final solution, but maybe it helps to get to the root of this.

What I did, was writing a VBScript that crawls through all 1888 *.snt files in "<AMFPbasedir>/sounds" (including subfolders) and replaces the string Stream="False" with Stream="True". I also had to go to the main_settings.cfg and set MaxChannels="32", StreamBuffers="4" and StreamBufferSize="65536".

Now there are no more reproducable freezes when a new sound is being played. Anyway, the framerate is still low every now and then, but it's a lot better. You don't get warned anymore when something scary is about to happen. Wink

I would attach the VBScript for those who want to test it themselfes, but I'd like to hear an official "OK" first, since the fix involves messing around bigtime with game-data. Don't want any trouble! Smile

09-12-2013, 02:39 AM
Find