Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8
RE: Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism

(10-19-2013, 09:27 PM)Damascus Rose Wrote:
(10-19-2013, 06:11 PM)Chronofrog Wrote: Probably one of those arthouse gamers who fervently support indie companies because they're s0d33p.

Yeah. It's especially infuriating because the stuff he's praised amfp for is made up bullshit. "the sequel departs from the idea of jump scares and shock, and goes for a nihilistic, languishing, pervasive horror, the sort that stains your memory and has you lie awake at night, long after the game has been turned off. It's really a matter of how the developers interpreted the genre."
This upsets me. I don't think he understands that horror wasn't even the main focus in this game, he thinks that somehow this game is just a different kind of horror, one that's more psychological and has no jumpscares like the original! This is just so wrong, I don't even think I have to explain why. But it hurts me. Is he confused? Is he trying to describe the dark descent? I don't know, but I should probably stop paying attention to this, it's too painful.

Let me help you out:

-The "Horrifying" bits were standard gore you can find in any game with an M rating. Stuff we are pretty much desensitized to at this point. "Oh noes pools of blood!" I did not feel any kind of horror because all I saw were "People are dying, my character is a cunt I could give less than a shit about, I appear to be suffering from hallucinations, I'm not sure if the writer even has a back story because everything is so fucking vague, and fuck now they have an electro pig."
-No feeling of eminent danger to myself. The pigs were slow and stupid. I could(and have) danced circles around them.
-The parts that he is praising MFP for was also found in TDD. But those aren't the parts that made TDD terrifying, or even Horror.(See first point)

Hellraiser was a good example of the slow, bleeding through the walls of my mind horror that left me with my toes curled throughout the film. One cannot accuse me of not appreciating psychological horror, which AMFP isn't.

Wouldn't be surprised if this reviewer suffers from "Art critic" syndrome.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2013, 09:54 PM by Ghieri.)
10-19-2013, 09:50 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

@Damascus and Ghieri:

How dare he (and the others that enjoyed AMFP's brand of horror) to have an opinion that's different from yours. I mean really. The nerve.

If you two are going to grossly over simplify AMFP then I guess it's fair for anyone else to oversimplify TDD right?

Alrighty then: TDD was aaaaaaaaaaaall about the jumpscares. Like, really. SO jumpscare-y. Only children are afraid of jumpscares. I mean come on, when I grabbed an item that went into my inventory it was SOOOO obvious that a monster was going to spawn near me. So bad. So so bad.

See?

Regardless of what you think of the interviewer and the interview, don't grossly simplify the game and then look down on the opinion of people who think differently than you. We get absolutely nowhere if everyone taking the piss out of someone else's opinion. If you saw the game differently, good for you and it's your right to view it however you want. I'll respect respectable opinions. Just don't try to belittle someone else's opinions that aren't shared by yourselves.
10-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I thought the guardian the was a mass-media that covers a large variety of news, so how could we expect anything decent from them in terms of gaming?. I would infact say this is quite above whats expected of them.
10-19-2013, 10:15 PM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

(10-19-2013, 10:08 PM)Cuyir Wrote: @Damascus and Ghieri:

How dare he (and the others that enjoyed AMFP's brand of horror) to have an opinion that's different from yours. I mean really. The nerve.

If you two are going to grossly over simplify AMFP then I guess it's fair for anyone else to oversimplify TDD right?

Alrighty then: TDD was aaaaaaaaaaaall about the jumpscares. Like, really. SO jumpscare-y. Only children are afraid of jumpscares. I mean come on, when I grabbed an item that went into my inventory it was SOOOO obvious that a monster was going to spawn near me. So bad. So so bad.

See?

Regardless of what you think of the interviewer and the interview, don't grossly simplify the game and then look down on the opinion of people who think differently than you. We get absolutely nowhere if everyone taking the piss out of someone else's opinion. If you saw the game differently, good for you and it's your right to view it however you want. I'll respect respectable opinions. Just don't try to belittle someone else's opinions that aren't shared by yourselves.

Dan Pinchbeck gets it because he's pretty much a cunt.

The reviewer gets it because he's defending a cunt.

I will agree I'm not necessarily thinking clearly right now. I'm livid. For this and other reasons that are more central to my life.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-19-2013, 11:37 PM by Ghieri.)
10-19-2013, 11:36 PM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

i wonder when this thread is going to die...Honestly hasnt there been said enough already?

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
10-20-2013, 12:33 AM
Find
LuckyBlackCatXIII Offline

Threads: 3

(10-19-2013, 09:05 PM)Wapez Wrote:
(10-19-2013, 04:30 AM)LuckyBlackCatXIII Wrote: Long ass text that made a surprisingly lot of sense.

You sir, deserve a beer and two hot blondes in a pool in Costa Rica.

Make that beer a margarita and you got yourself a deal!
[Image: cfrl.png]
10-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(10-19-2013, 10:08 PM)Cuyir Wrote: @Damascus and Ghieri:

See?

It's hard to respect his 'opinion', when the only 'opinion' I see is stated as a fact.

And how exactly did I oversimplify amfp? All I recall saying is that the game doesn't focus on horror, and it isn't as scary as the dark descent. I never said anything close to what you said about tdd, so that makes your point completely invalid.

When I say that amfp doesn't focus on horror, it's obvious after playing the game once. This is further proven because the developers of the game itself say that their focus is on telling a story, and they didn't want to make it as scary as the first one. I'm sure people find it scary and that's fine, I'm not saying that it isn't scary at all. I respect opinions people have of this game. I was just disgusted by the fact that whoever wrote this seems to not know shit about what he's talking about, while simultaneously being unrelenting in his effort to kiss as much chinese room ass as he possibly can.

Your over the top sarcastic reponse made you seem like a really butthurt amfp fanboy, considering I didn't even do the things you accuse me of..

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
10-20-2013, 12:45 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

In this thread, we see gratuitous use of the words 'cunt' and 'butthurt fanboy' from inexplicably angry people. Did A Machine For Pigs punch a baby while I wasn't looking?
10-20-2013, 01:52 AM
Find
pagan Offline

Threads: 0

(10-20-2013, 12:45 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: When I say that amfp doesn't focus on horror, it's obvious after playing the game once. This is further proven because the developers of the game itself say that their focus is on telling a story, and they didn't want to make it as scary as the first one.

I suspect this is bollocks, they are just trying to save face. Before the release they were talking about making the scariest game possible, and if it doesn't scare the people as much as Amnesia: the Double D, then it would be a disappointment. I suspect they were trying to create the scariest game they possibly can, it's just that Chinese Room isn't very good at that.
10-20-2013, 02:08 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(10-20-2013, 02:08 AM)pagan Wrote:
(10-20-2013, 12:45 AM)Damascus Rose Wrote: When I say that amfp doesn't focus on horror, it's obvious after playing the game once. This is further proven because the developers of the game itself say that their focus is on telling a story, and they didn't want to make it as scary as the first one.

I suspect this is bollocks, they are just trying to save face. Before the release they were talking about making the scariest game possible, and if it doesn't scare the people as much as Amnesia: the Double D, then it would be a disappointment. I suspect they were trying to create the scariest game they possibly can, it's just that Chinese Room isn't very good at that.

I don't think so. They only put like 3 monster encounters in the game. Their reasoning for it makes sense too, seems in line with what tcr do.

And they did actually do scares well at some parts, like under the pistons it was super scary. They had the potential, chose not to.

@alardem:
It wasn't the game that made me say that Tongue

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2013, 03:07 AM by Damascus Rose.)
10-20-2013, 03:04 AM
Find