Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 16 Vote(s) - 2.25 Average
Opinions on how TCR & FG are dealing with AAMFP criticism
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100
RE: What Is Frictional Games Feelings Towards All The Criticism For AMFP??

(09-12-2013, 03:16 PM)MonoxideDGK Wrote: That quote from the article basically screams "CBF...Couldn't care...Just make it and pay us" to me.

They didn't "care" because there's been another game in the works by Frictional Games for some time now. Focusing on two games at the same time is a bad thing.

Besides, so far that I've played AMFP... I'm pretty satisfied with the product. Sure, it's not the same game but if it was, people would cry that there's nothing new. Take nameless war game sagas for example.
My biggest complaint, so far, comes from the fact that you can't pick up so much stuff than you were able to in every previous game. Plus, opening up lockers is also kinda useless because you don't need to look for anything since there is nothing you'd actually need to proceed further.

09-12-2013, 03:22 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-12-2013, 03:21 PM)MonoxideDGK Wrote: Yeh, I suppose you are right...It still looks to me that AMFP was 'only' made on a business stand point. Not because the passion was there to make it...

Really looking forward to this new project as it seems the passion will be there =)

I wouldn't call it "purely" a business standpoint to see how much they could get out of Amnesia. It was more like a "creative" sort of how much they could get out of Amnesia.

If you have been following AMFP a bit earlier you can see a few statements that implies AMFP was intended as an experimental game...one that I think was experimenting on what they could do with the Amnesia style of games.

(09-12-2013, 03:22 PM)Scraper Wrote: Plus, opening up lockers is also kinda useless because you don't need to look for anything since there is nothing you'd actually need to proceed further.

If you're someone who likes extra story tidbits then it's not useless at all since there often seem to be notes in drawers.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 03:26 PM by Kreekakon.)
09-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8

I've always thought that it would be interesting to reverse the situation - let's say that A Machine For Pigs was the game that was released 3 years ago and The Dark Descent was the new release. I'm sure that there would be criticisms of that too when the two were compared. I can imagine people complaing about the following in TDD compared to the game that they were used to, AAMFP:

a) "There's now an inventory system which is annoying to use"
b) "Why is it necessary to refill the oil lantern every few minutes? This is so unrealistic and annoying!"
c) "Why do I need to keep hunting for tinderboxes to light torches and candles? It really breaks the immersion! Who has ever heard of a single use tinderbox?"
d) "There's far too many monster encounters and jump scares"
e) "The story and writing isn't anywhere near as good as the one in AAMFP"
f) "The voice acting is very average compared to the excellent voice acting in AAMFP"

Ultimately it all comes down to what you're used to and your expectations and personal preferences. I feel kind of sorry for those that don't like AAMFP but they don't do their 'cause' any favors with their (mostly) immature bitching and whining (and most of this bitching and whining simply highlights that they didn't play the game 'properly', hadn't read all of the notes, hadn't bothered to even TRY and immerse themselves in it, etc).
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 04:45 PM by Ossie.)
09-12-2013, 04:41 PM
Find
zico Offline

Threads: 4

Fully agree to Ossie (the last paragraph especially).

Like I wrote in another post already I didn't have much time with the game already - just a few minutes testing if I can record the gameplay just fine (I gotta do something for Halloween Wink). But I was afraid I could have too high expectations. So now before I immerse myself in the game, I immerse myself in all these rants and after all that I KNOW I'm gonna get my hopes down and a more laid back opinion later.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 05:32 PM by zico.)
09-12-2013, 05:32 PM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

Threads: 0

I think alot of people are basing their reviews on scare factor, instead of horror factor. Alot of them didn't even understand the story lol
09-12-2013, 05:38 PM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

Ironic, isn't? AAMFP only exist because public and fanbase demanded it, despite knowing that FG is working on another project. And now, when Frictional found a way to please all these loudly squealing pigs - they are unhappy.

Not that I'm saying game has no flaws, but the whole situation is very funny to me.

UPD:
Waitaminute:
Quote:And he adds, "There will probably be some good stuff released from the development later, so it will be possible for others to debate that."
???

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 05:55 PM by Kein.)
09-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Find
Potato Offline

Threads: 10

(09-12-2013, 04:41 PM)Ossie Wrote: I've always thought that it would be interesting to reverse the situation - let's say that A Machine For Pigs was the game that was released 3 years ago and The Dark Descent was the new release. I'm sure that there would be criticisms of that too when the two were compared. I can imagine people complaing about the following in TDD compared to the game that they were used to, AAMFP:

a) "There's now an inventory system which is annoying to use"
b) "Why is it necessary to refill the oil lantern every few minutes? This is so unrealistic and annoying!"
c) "Why do I need to keep hunting for tinderboxes to light torches and candles? It really breaks the immersion! Who has ever heard of a single use tinderbox?"
d) "There's far too many monster encounters and jump scares"
e) "The story and writing isn't anywhere near as good as the one in AAMFP"
f) "The voice acting is very average compared to the excellent voice acting in AAMFP"
Holy shit.

[Image: o8JPTkt.jpg]
upsilon floorbot is a qt pa2t
09-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

A 'cash-in' on Amnesia would be the equivalent of a cheap custom story: no gameplay changes, a story much more derivative of TDD's setting and cast ("Return to Brennenburg - again!") and the same monsters.

AMFP's omission of a few features (namely the bounty of interactive objects and the need to obtain batteries) bothers me, but ended up not detracting from getting horrified.
09-12-2013, 06:42 PM
Find
pinkribbonscars Offline

What's the issue over not being able to grab random objects in the enviroment?
09-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Find
pagan Offline

(09-12-2013, 06:49 PM)pinkribbonscars Wrote: What's the issue over not being able to grab random objects in the enviroment?
It decreases the feeling of presence, that you're really there. In ATTD there were so many things to do, even when nothing happened, in pigs, in 95% of the playtime, you can do nothing but walking and reading notes. Scavenging stuff and interacting with objects (and proper puzzles) may not be essential for the story itself, but they made exploration meaningful and they made the gameplay much more involving.
(This post was last modified: 09-12-2013, 07:28 PM by pagan.)
09-12-2013, 07:26 PM
Find