Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
Is A Machine For Pigs best suited to a 'mature' audience?
Dash213 Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Is A Machine For Pigs best suited to a 'mature' audience?

i'd sum it up this way, if the chinese room wanted to make a game that would sell a lot and make every type of person happy, they would not be called the chinese room, they would be called EA.

just look at Dead Space.
09-12-2013, 10:37 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-12-2013, 10:37 PM)Dash213 Wrote: just look at Dead Space.

That one sentence can actually start a whole new discussion altogether...
...maybe another time...

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

I loved Dead Space, all three. But yeah...not the time for that discussion.
09-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Find
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3

I love stories in games, and even though I was introduced to Amnesia as a horror game, it is the unique storytelling philosophy of FG that has captivated me and made me a huge fan. Unfortunately, and this is going to sound harsh, I found AAMFP's story to be stereotypical, predictable, unrealistic, and shallow. Sad

^(;,;)^
09-13-2013, 12:57 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

(09-12-2013, 10:07 PM)ruzen Wrote: I dont think they aimed mature auidiance but I susspect they aimed casual gamers.

The horror, the horror!
09-13-2013, 03:05 AM
Find
SurvivalHorror Offline

Threads: 0

The story was average and predictable and lacked any twist at all. The notes seemed to be more interested In using purple prose to show off vocabulary rather than convey the story purposefully.Frankly it was disappointing and I cannot for the life of me comprehend why this would appeal to mature gamers.
09-13-2013, 07:34 AM
Find
chineseroom Offline

I think before you head off on a 'purple prose' trip, you should consider this. The visuals and sound FX in the game aimed to create something like a sense of an authentic Victorian world (at least in the non-fantastical areas, not suggesting clockwork nuclear reactors are actually authentically Victorian of course) - so why not the language as well. Maybe go read some Victorian novels, or newspapers and then see whether it's really so different. And ask why it might be important to try and capture the feel of the language or if not, why a sense of an authentic world is paramount to visuals so should be avoided in the text...
09-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Find
Arnold Offline

What's with all those hipster "2deep4u", "you just can't understand", "not for everyone", "elitist" fallacies when game studios produce something art-house which many people just do not want/appreciate (original ME3 ending, Gone Home and so much more indie visual novels)?

Why all those childish defense mechanisms - "only mature people can like it", "only after you reach IQ of 130 you can see beauty of this game" etc.? Not only that, but also stupid generalizations - "those who did not like AAMFP sure do play Amnesia only for youtube screams and scare factor", "if he disagrees he sure is uneducated redneck".

I'll tell you this - creating something weird for the sake of the weird or absense of usual "gamey" traits are not obligatory signs of a masterpiece. It can be done, but most of the art-house visual novels - and I would define AAMFP exactly as that - fail hard.

"Story-driven". Ok, it is story-driven, but AAMFP story, in my opinion, is subpar. Honestly, I liked TDD story so much more.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 09:19 AM by Arnold.)
09-13-2013, 09:18 AM
Find
emaper Offline

I'm sorry but I think that this is a game that, if you're able to understand, could totally upset you.
When I played it, sometimes I've been really moved... am not exagerating
The monologue at the end of the game is just superb, and when I heard it, I was like: "I'll remember this game for very long time". It is chock of culture, litterature, deep thoughts... Probably I'll remember more AAMFP than TDD.

Student | Bassist 

[Image: LNndQ]
09-13-2013, 09:31 AM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

(09-13-2013, 09:18 AM)Arnold Wrote: What's with all those hipster "2deep4u", "you just can't understand", "not for everyone", "elitist" fallacies when game studios produce something art-house which many people just do not want/appreciate (original ME3 ending, Gone Home and so much more indie visual novels)?

Excuse me, but the story of TDD is ridiculously complex and there are many questions left unanswered. You ask many people what they understood from TDD, unless they loved the game so much as to play it multiple times and look around for LPs, they will not have a lot to say about it. The game was loved (and rightly so) for its scares and nothing more.
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 09:53 AM by felixmole.)
09-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Find