Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 2.78 Average
Is A Machine For Pigs best suited to a 'mature' audience?
MyRedNeptune Offline

Threads: 3
RE: Is A Machine For Pigs best suited to a 'mature' audience?

(09-13-2013, 04:00 PM)Paddy Wrote: "Yeah, it had mutilated Frankensteined pigmen zombies working as slave labour in a giant secret underground machine by a man haunted by his own conscience for what he's done to his family and the people in his community as he pieces his memory back together after visiting sacrificial temples in Mexico...".

I bolded the parts that are cliche. Maybe that'll help shed some light on why I considered it uninteresting. Smile

Note that the only unbolded parts are those related to setting/background/theme.

^(;,;)^
09-13-2013, 04:44 PM
Find
Ossie Offline

Threads: 8

(09-13-2013, 04:44 PM)MyRedNeptune Wrote:
(09-13-2013, 04:00 PM)Paddy Wrote: "Yeah, it had mutilated Frankensteined pigmen zombies working as slave labour in a giant secret underground machine by a man haunted by his own conscience for what he's done to his family and the people in his community as he pieces his memory back together after visiting sacrificial temples in Mexico...".

I bolded the parts that are cliche. Maybe that'll help shed some light on why I considered it uninteresting. Smile

Note that the only unbolded parts are those related to setting/background/theme.

But it's not quite as simple as that - if we were to avoid every single film that had cliché moments we wouldn't see ANY films. The same applies to games - many share very similar clichéd elements, but it's the telling of the tale that counts and, ultimately, the journey. (Speaking of 'Journey' (the wonderful PS3 game) THAT is full of clichés but does it matter? Nope, not a bit of it - it's the journey, the experience and the evoked emotions that ultimately count for so very much).

(09-13-2013, 03:28 PM)SurvivalHorror Wrote: You make valid points, but I really felt the vocabulary was embellishment to cover up for a rather uninteresting story..

So what would you call an 'interesting' story? I know, we're all different, yada-yada-yada but I'm curious what YOU would find interesitng in terms of story. I found the story in AAMFP fascinating. Or are you really trying to say that you didn't understand the story, hence the reason that you find it uninteresting?

(no insult intended, I'm genuinely curious).
(This post was last modified: 09-13-2013, 05:33 PM by Ossie.)
09-13-2013, 05:28 PM
Find
Corbent Offline

Threads: 1

(09-13-2013, 12:57 AM)MyRedNeptune Wrote: I found AAMFP's story to be stereotypical, predictable, unrealistic, and shallow. Sad

If the story is stereotypical, predicatable and shallow (leaving aside realism WTF?) would you please enlighten us with how exactly the plot goes on? Because really there are some people around here (me included) really interested in getting all the facts straight and we are still lost at several parts. I'm sure your explanation on the weird "omfg Mandus teleports leet wiz skillz hax", the "abscent" symbolism and the "bland and straightforward" ending could solve it all.
09-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Find
sailornaruto39 Offline

Threads: 0

I really don't appreciate the insulting insinuations that anyone who didn't appreciate the story, or was peeved at the lack of gameplay, and scares, then must be some sort of immature idiot.

Really is it so surprising that anyone would expect a more similar experience from AMFP to be like TDD?
How can anyone you hold it against anyone for being let down like this?

I'm don't care for psychological horror(how Edgar Allen Poe), I find that kind of horror artistic but not scary. If they were going for the dark and creepy thing they they shoudln't have involved amnesia.

It really seemed like a cheap attempt to ride off amnesia's fanbase.

I thought a good game was suppose to have a decent balance of gameplay, story, graphics, and sounds/music.

When ever the game is criticizes for it's bad gameplay all anyone can say is "well the story was good"
Or "the graphics and music were nice".
If I wanted either of those I'd read a book or grab an MP3 player.

In the end I would've just preferred them not to bring this type of stuff with amensia. I don't care how "great" the story is.

(09-13-2013, 03:39 PM)chineseroom Wrote:
(09-13-2013, 03:28 PM)SurvivalHorror Wrote: You make valid points, but I really felt the vocabulary was embellishment to cover up for a rather uninteresting story..

I think that's a completely bizarre comment, to be honest with you. So we wrote a story, looked at it, thought "Damn, that's boring - I know, let's pile on a load of poetics, you know, the stuff we got criticised for with Dear Esther, because we have so much contempt for gamers and fans that we think they won't be able to tell the difference" - really?

Ahh, but you assume they've learned there lesson, which clearly they haven't
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 10:57 AM by sailornaruto39.)
09-16-2013, 10:57 AM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-16-2013, 10:57 AM)sailornaruto39 Wrote: I really don't appreciate the insulting insinuations that anyone who didn't appreciate the story, or was peeved at the lack of gameplay, and scares, then must be some sort of immature idiot.

Really is it so surprising that anyone would expect a more similar experience from AMFP to be like TDD?

I'm don't care for psychological horror(how Edgar Allen Poe), I find that kind of horror artistic but not scary. If they were going for the dark and creepy thing they they shoudln't have involved amnesia.

I thought a good game was suppose to have a decent balance of gameplay, story, graphics, and sounds/music.

When ever the game is criticizes for it's bad gameplay all anyone can say is "well the story was good"

In the end I would've just preferred them not to bring this type of stuff with amensia. I don't care how "great" the story is.

I think your focus is being overly subjective right now. You CAN dislike that there weren't any scares, and you CAN dislike the removal of certain mechanics.

What baffles me though is that you seem to be dismissing the positive aspects of AMFP in favor of focusing mainly on the negative points. Just saying that your opinion is more likely to be taken seriously if you acknowledge both positives, and negatives of the game instead of brushing aside the positive things as things you feel add nothing to the experience.

It especially shows when you flat-out wrote "I don't care how "great" the story is."

(09-16-2013, 10:57 AM)sailornaruto39 Wrote: Ahh, but you assume they've learned there lesson, which clearly they haven't

You may want to change your wording a bit, because I don't think you realize that "chineseroom" is Dan from thechineseroom.

Not saying you should suck up to him, but change your wording into asking him his thought process, because he's one of the people who wrote the game.

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 11:12 AM by Kreekakon.)
09-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Find
sailornaruto39 Offline

(09-16-2013, 11:11 AM)Kreekakon Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 10:57 AM)sailornaruto39 Wrote: I really don't appreciate the insulting insinuations that anyone who didn't appreciate the story, or was peeved at the lack of gameplay, and scares, then must be some sort of immature idiot.

I think your focus is being overly subjective right now. You CAN dislike that there weren't any scares, and you CAN dislike the removal of certain mechanics.

What baffles me though is that you seem to be dismissing the positive aspects of AMFP in favor of focusing mainly on the negative points. Just saying that your opinion is more likely to be taken seriously if you acknowledge both positives, and negatives of the game instead of brushing aside the positive things as things you feel add nothing to the experience.

It especially shows when you flat-out wrote "I don't care how "great" the story is."

(09-16-2013, 10:57 AM)sailornaruto39 Wrote: Ahh, but you assume they've learned there lesson, which clearly they haven't

You may want to change your wording a bit, because I don't think you realize that "chineseroom" is Dan from thechineseroom.

Not saying you should suck up to him, but change your wording into asking him his thought process, because he's one of the people who wrote the game.

Acknowledge the positives? Being what? I don't find the story that great, certainly not enough to for what it did to amnesia.
Even if it was a a non amnesia I probably wouldn't care for such a game.

I say I don't care for how great the story is because in the end one aspect of a game shouldn't overbearingly outweigh the other. That's just bad game design IMO.

"I don't think you realize that "chineseroom" is Dan from thechineseroom."

Why would that make a difference? I don't know who that is, all things considered I'm not really interested.
09-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

Yeah, this game totally tarnished the entirety of the Amnesia franchise.
09-16-2013, 06:53 PM
Find
Yuhaney Offline
Hello Friends!

Threads: 100

PEGI and ESRB need new rating: "Toddlers Only".

09-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Website Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

(09-16-2013, 06:59 PM)Scraper Wrote: PEGI and ESRB need new rating: "Toddlers Only".

errr....

[Image: 215px-ESRB_Early_Childhood.svg.png]
09-16-2013, 07:02 PM
Find
sailornaruto39 Offline

The game isn't anymore suited for a mature audience than the first. But it may appeal to a more pretentious audience, not everyone who liked the game is pretentious,but I see ppl who do like the game say some rather pretentious things.

Having a great story but bad gameplay is just as lame as having good graphics and lame gameplay.
09-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Find