Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The non-english speaker under the church
LarryV Offline

Threads: 1
The non-english speaker under the church

He has a rather long monologue. And I hope someone here can translate it

It occurs when you go under the church, before you come across the first manpig. It's where all the cages are, we hear an English speaker screaming for help and right before we go down the stairs there's a man in a cage speaking in a foreign language.

Now the weird thing is I didn't come across this on my first run but my second run. he speaks for about a minute or two and he ends with, "we are all pigs" (if I remember correctly.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I haven't seen much talk about him

Let's fight.
Them's fighin' words.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 02:34 AM by LarryV.)
09-14-2013, 02:28 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

RE: The non-english speaker under the church

He ended the monologue with ''they will all perish''...or at least that's what I thought I heard.

It sounds as if he's speaking latin.
09-14-2013, 02:30 AM
Find
LarryV Offline

That's it!

And you're probably right about the language. I need through that level again and re-listen

Let's fight.
Them's fighin' words.
09-14-2013, 02:33 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

I hear "they will perish".

And the language sounds more like Greek than Latin to me, because of the sound of some syllables. I spotted a few words that have that distinctive th sound, as in the Greek word eleftheria (freedom), for example. And one word seems to end in -oulos, which I believe is a common ending in Greek words, like in some surnames.

plutomaniac, is that you?... Tongue

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 03:29 AM by Ashtoreth.)
09-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

Is he the priest, Father Jeremiah? Initially I thought he was just some foreigner who had not yet been fed to the Machine.

And why is it that Mandus does not speak to him? Is it related to the speculation that the person we control is actually a projection/ghost/pig-man?
09-14-2013, 03:23 AM
Find
Dash213 Offline

Threads: 2

i heard it too but was too scared to listen long, he practicly screams it.

it's probably latin as the language churches used at that time for prayer was latin. only later in the early 20'th century it was changed to english. so i guess he was screaming a prayer.

i don't know anyone who speaks latin but it might be possible to look for old christian prayers in latin, one might match.
09-14-2013, 07:12 AM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

(09-14-2013, 03:19 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote: I spotted a few words that have that distinctive th sound, as in the Greek word eleftheria (freedom), for example. And one word seems to end in -oulos, which I believe is a common ending in Greek words, like in some surnames.

Could be doulos, the word for slave. Anyway, I went looking for the English speaker and couldn't find him, then I was chased away by a pig-beast and went through the door to the next level before I knew what I was doing, so I missed the opportunity to locate the English speaker, and never heard the other guy.

I consoled myself with the thought 'Meh, it's a TCR game so the guy speaking probably doesn't actually exist, he's just a scripted voice rather than an actual character you can find, see, and talk with'.
09-14-2013, 07:20 AM
Find
Dash213 Offline

Threads: 2

(09-14-2013, 07:20 AM)Fortigurn Wrote: I consoled myself with the thought 'Meh, it's a TCR game so the guy speaking probably doesn't actually exist, he's just a scripted voice rather than an actual character you can find, see, and talk with'.

thats mostly a problem with time and budget, you can't really afford to model/sculpt, texture, animate and lip sync a character for such a small encounter. so they do tricks to try and cut corners. it was the same with TDD where
Spoiler below!
Frictional Games made it that Alexander would only talk through memories or psychic abilities and in the end would only be a textured model with one animation (again no lip sync). or where aggripa had no mouth so they won't have to do lip sync and he was chained so the only animation was the head rotating to look at you.

you can't really blame TCR or FG for those corner cuts, they would rather spend money and time on more importent things like gameplay, enviroment, physics etc. if anything TCS did a lot of
Spoiler below!
animations for the pigman that were for story and emotions, like the chained pigman trying to run toward you or the the pigman carrying the citizens or playing with toy cubes.
i appoint that to the fact that FG got a lot of money from TDD so they could spend a little more on enviroment or animation.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 06:01 PM by Dash213.)
09-14-2013, 07:31 AM
Find
Fortigurn Offline

(09-14-2013, 07:31 AM)Dash213 Wrote: thats mostly a problem with time and budget, you can't really afford to model/sculpt, texture, animate and lip sync a character for such a small encounter. so they do tricks to try and cut corners. it was the same with TDD where Frictional Games made it that Alexander would only talk through memories or psychic abilities and in the end would only be a textured model with one animation (again no lip sync). or where aggripa had no mouth so they won't have to do lip sync and he was chained so the only animation was the head rotating to look at you.

Shortcuts are perfectly understandable and always necessary. But even if they'd decided a full 3D model was too much to include, they could have saved plenty of resources by having him in a covered cage, with you having a dialogue with him (however scripted). It just seemed like a missed opportunity to add depth to the story.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 07:50 AM by Fortigurn.)
09-14-2013, 07:49 AM
Find
morgan99 Offline

Threads: 0

He ended the monologue with ''they will all perish''...or at least that's what I thought I heard.
09-14-2013, 07:59 AM
Find