Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The non-english speaker under the church
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6
RE: The non-english speaker under the church

Oh yeah, I meant to say...

(09-14-2013, 07:31 AM)Dash213 Wrote: ...
Spoiler below!
the chained pigman trying to run toward you or the the pigman carrying the citizens or playing with toy cubes
. i appoint that to the fact that FG got a lot of money from TDD so they could spend a little more on enviroment or animation.

...spoiler tags please, I haven't finished the game.
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 08:04 AM by Fortigurn.)
09-14-2013, 08:04 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

(09-14-2013, 07:12 AM)Dash213 Wrote: it's probably latin as the language churches used at that time for prayer was latin. only later in the early 20'th century it was changed to english. so i guess he was screaming a prayer.

i don't know anyone who speaks latin but it might be possible to look for old christian prayers in latin, one might match.

I don't speak Latin, but I am familiar with the sound of it and I know many Latin words, not only because I used to sing in a church choir when I was a child and we had to sing in Latin sometimes, but also because I listen to some music bands whose lyrics are sung in Latin; and I just can't identify any Latin word in the guy's speech.

In my previous post I presented some elements that lead me to believe it might be Greek. I was hoping a certain Hellenic fellow with a pink name would post here to clarify. Shy

09-14-2013, 11:44 AM
Find
Chrd Offline

Threads: 0

(09-14-2013, 11:44 AM)Ashtoreth Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 07:12 AM)Dash213 Wrote: it's probably latin as the language churches used at that time for prayer was latin. only later in the early 20'th century it was changed to english. so i guess he was screaming a prayer.

i don't know anyone who speaks latin but it might be possible to look for old christian prayers in latin, one might match.

I don't speak Latin, but I am familiar with the sound of it and I know many Latin words, not only because I used to sing in a church choir when I was a child and we had to sing in Latin sometimes, but also because I listen to some music bands whose lyrics are sung in Latin; and I just can't identify any Latin word in the guy's speech.

In my previous post I presented some elements that lead me to believe it might be Greek. I was hoping a certain Hellenic fellow with a pink name would post here to clarify. Shy

I just played through the game until i reached that part to listen to it since i didn't pay much attention when i passed it.It's not Greek i couldn't understand anything.I thought that it was Latin but you said it's not.It sounds like a prayer though...
09-14-2013, 02:43 PM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

(09-14-2013, 02:43 PM)Chrd Wrote: I just played through the game until i reached that part to listen to it since i didn't pay much attention when i passed it.It's not Greek i couldn't understand anything.I thought that it was Latin but you said it's not.It sounds like a prayer though...

Thanks for the clarification!
Well, there goes my theory that it was plutomaniac speaking... Tongue

Yeah, it doesn't sound like Latin to me at all, but I'm no expert. Maybe it's just some made-up words, or Esperanto. Haha.

I'm really curious about this now.

____

EDIT: Ok, I found the audio file, it's afx_church_pens_vo_tongues_3D.ogg. The word "tongues" here makes me think that maybe it's glossolalia (speaking in tongues).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossolalia

(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 03:16 PM by Ashtoreth.)
09-14-2013, 02:57 PM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

\redist\sounds\events\church\pens_vo\afx_church_pens_vo_tongues_3D.ogg

The file is labelled "tongues" so maybe it's not a real language after all (save for the last three words, of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3be9wCAwIM

EDIT: hahaha ninja Ashtoreth strikes again XD
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 03:18 PM by Paddy™.)
09-14-2013, 03:16 PM
Find
Dash213 Offline

Threads: 2

(09-14-2013, 08:04 AM)Fortigurn Wrote: ...spoiler tags please, I haven't finished the game.

sorry, my mistake. edited spoiler tags into it.

(09-14-2013, 02:57 PM)Ashtoreth Wrote: Thanks for the clarification!
Well, there goes my theory that it was plutomaniac speaking... Tongue

Yeah, it doesn't sound like Latin to me at all, but I'm no expert. Maybe it's just some made-up words, or Esperanto. Haha.

I'm really curious about this now.

well it's doesn't have to be latin, but i think it relates to the story in the game. not just a random language they decided he should talk in. maybe it's something from
Spoiler below!
mexico or that tample, maybe the language the worshippers in the tample spoke in, like that god turned the priest or whoever he is crazy and he speaks the language the god likes?
(This post was last modified: 09-14-2013, 06:06 PM by Dash213.)
09-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

Who the fuck is he? No one's talking about that.

And no, he's not speaking Spanish or Nahuatl (Aztec).
09-14-2013, 06:37 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

I think Ashtoreth may be right, it's probably esperanto. I know it's not spanish or any sort of indigenous language.

Personally, I think he may be a priest
09-14-2013, 06:41 PM
Find
Dash213 Offline

Threads: 2

(09-14-2013, 06:37 PM)Alardem Wrote: Who the fuck is he? No one's talking about that.

lol hold to your horses, not need to be aggressive.

in the church we get notes written by priest jeremiah, probably the one in charge of that church. considering how the charge looked i'd say Mandus "redecorated" it or that God influenced it somehow. so it's likely that priest was affected too or that Mandus tortured him or something. and now he is screaming a prayer of some sort.

btw, i also remember someone screaming in plain english "Help Me!" before the non english guy. did anyone else hear that?
09-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Find
LordOfDragons Offline

Threads: 14

(09-14-2013, 07:22 PM)Dash213 Wrote:
(09-14-2013, 06:37 PM)Alardem Wrote: Who the fuck is he? No one's talking about that.

lol hold to your horses, not need to be aggressive.

in the church we get notes written by priest jeremiah, probably the one in charge of that church. considering how the charge looked i'd say Mandus "redecorated" it or that God influenced it somehow. so it's likely that priest was affected too or that Mandus tortured him or something. and now he is screaming a prayer of some sort.

btw, i also remember someone screaming in plain english "Help Me!" before the non english guy. did anyone else hear that?

To be sure... The guy before the strange language guy said: AAAAAAH, LET ME OUUUT!...

The question that will never be answered:
SOMA WHY ARE YOU SO BEAUTIFUL? ;_;
09-14-2013, 07:29 PM
Find