Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
Why remove the trailer scenes?
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7
RE: Why remove the trailer scenes?

I wonder why exactly that one pig didn't kick in the door at this place. I think it's for technical reasons. Every encounter in AMFP is very well scripted, the place is arranged so that you cannot lure the monster outside of its area and the doors behind you lock up. You cannot hide in a place inaccessible to the monster; you cannot grab anything to provoke the "barrel glitch".

I think that was their was of fixing TDD monster glitches. Blame the old engine, I guess.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 09:09 AM by felixmole.)
09-16-2013, 09:01 AM
Find
Kein Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

(09-16-2013, 06:57 AM)Fortigurn Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 06:45 AM)Kein Wrote: Yeah, that is the point, merge two threads filled with idiotic claims into one.

This thread is making valid points in an appropriate manner.

[Image: 9hdDkSB.jpg]

"Avoid Capture"
Bugs/Tricks Gallery:
1 | 2 | 3
09-16-2013, 10:02 AM
Find
wretch Offline

Threads: 4

I'm looking forward to making an exact recreation of the monster scene from the Halloween Teaser in my future mod.
http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-23210.html
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 04:29 PM by wretch.)
09-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Find
Diango12 Offline

Threads: 2

(09-16-2013, 10:02 AM)Kein Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 06:57 AM)Fortigurn Wrote:
(09-16-2013, 06:45 AM)Kein Wrote: Yeah, that is the point, merge two threads filled with idiotic claims into one.

This thread is making valid points in an appropriate manner.

[Image: 9hdDkSB.jpg]

Welp, three pages in and so far everyone is making valid, respectful arguments. Except for you Kein, very mature. Got anymore meme responses to express to us how we are so idiotic? You come off quite desperate when you try to sabotage a thread discussion for little more reason than a disagreement.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 11:54 AM by Diango12.)
09-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

(09-16-2013, 05:40 AM)Potato Wrote: I encountered the area under the stairs and was scared shitless that the monster would come barreling my way if I opened the door. I was instead greeted to the monster running away outside when opening the door.

Spoiler below!
[Image: RbARV3R.jpg]

The scene with the cages was also drastically changed. It seems that the area with the centrifuge was merged with the cellar area under the church, the cages and encounter with the Wretch for the sake of the trailer. Or the sections were split up in development later on.

I was there and recognized the area and what did I do?

>Took the slab of wood off the door

>Lantern freaked and I heard a sound

>dropped EVERYTHING and sprinted under the stairs
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 02:41 PM by Cuyir.)
09-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Find
sailornaruto39 Offline

Threads: 0

I'm confused what "valid points" have been made?

Because it comes off as "Tee hee, we're going to pretend it's like the old amnesia when it really isn't"

Like bait and switch.
09-16-2013, 06:58 PM
Find
felixmole Offline

Threads: 7

I think I gave a possible explanation. TCR should confirm though, but again, I think that was their way to fix the monster glitches.
09-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Find
NicoNico Offline

Threads: 0

Well, to answer simply the question OP's asking : because it's a one year old trailer and you actually change things when you work on a project, especially an artistic project. Simple as that.
Remember when the MGS2 trailer was shown. It inclued a sequence where Snake was running away from water flooding the boat. It looked cool. No, it looked awesome !
The game was released and... no Snake running away from water ? How come ? Well, Kojima explained it : it looked cool, but, in fact, it wasn't that cool when you were playing.
Same thing happened with Bioshock Infinite.

So, here's an answer, I guess. It was in the trailer because TCR thought it would be cool, but at some point, they must have realized it didn't fit the game and changed it.
I see alot of people getting pissed off by that but, really, it's an everyday process in every artistic project. You do something. You're poud of it. You show it. And then, some times later, you look at it again and think "you know what ? Now that I see it again, I don't like it that much. I think it's not quite right. Let's change that."

Plus, let's not forget that, a lot of times, some scenes are made especially for trailers. It happens all the time in movies. They take some shots and do some special FX pretty quickly for the trailer so they can show something. Then they actually do the real stuff.
Maybe that's what TCR did : make some scenes to give the idea of what the game would be (more or less) and then actually get into the real process.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 09:06 PM by NicoNico.)
09-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Find
Diango12 Offline

Threads: 2

The issue is not that TCR didn't include some prop or event sequence shown in the trailers. The trailers that were shown marketed tropes and motifs of the original Amnesia title, which the final product did not include at all. They smacked an Amnesia title on the product, teased consumers with trailers building up hype towards an Amnesia title. The backlash is deserved.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 09:42 PM by Diango12.)
09-16-2013, 09:41 PM
Find
Jim Offline

Threads: 3

Spoiler below!
I'm kind of surprised people are asking this question. I like when the teaser scenes aren't in the final game. Plus, if you remember, TDD did the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M627-obxNzg

Edit: I just realized that you're talking about the mood of the trailer, not about that setpiece in particular. The trailer definitely made the game seem scarier than it was, but I took that with a grain of salt, so I didn't really feel betrayed.

Making a trailer scary is easy. Making a game scary is much harder. When I saw the MFP trailer, I didn't think "That settles it. It's good!", I thought "I hppe it's good."

It wasn't overty misleading, and it's on us to manage our expectations when we consume promotional media like that. IMO at least.

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2013, 01:19 AM by Jim.)
09-16-2013, 10:15 PM
Find