Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 2.57 Average
Improved Piggies Mod Idea
Lleviathyn Offline

Threads: 3
Improved Piggies Mod Idea

Greetings!

So as most of you probably already know, a lot of people are disappointed by Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs. The most major reason for this in my opinion was because of the reduced scare factor, which was not what we were really expecting since this is an Amnesia title.

As I've said before, I believe part of the reason the scare factor was reduced was because of the lack of stalking/chase music. To me, that is crucial for a tense encounter. Look at Outlast. The enemies are nothing special, yet when that music plays I panic and all my thoughts are replaced by one. "Oh shit!" is a pretty accurate representation.

Another factor is the amount of damage a monster can do and how fast they move. These IMO can drastically change how much you're scared of of them. A good example of this is the Grunt and the Brute.

So, here's my preposition. What if someone/group of people came up with a mod that adds/enhances monsters and their encounters? I'm not too good with modding, but I'm willing to bet if someone could script music to the monsters, add more encounters (+possibly more hiding places) in the level editor, and tweak their stats, it would be a much scarier game.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVED the game, but I like it enough to want it to succeed, and this is what I think will make people happy.

Thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2013, 01:14 AM by Lleviathyn.)
09-16-2013, 02:14 AM
Find
Diango12 Offline

Threads: 2
RE: Improved Piggies Mod Idea

The problem itself is the level design. The linear path you take doesn't lend itself well to chases and stalking.
09-16-2013, 02:31 AM
Find
Ghieri Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 8

I honestly feel that there weren't enough sound cues. What usually got me in TDD was the ambiance. Also, I think we got a very sterile version of what the machine was actually capable of. It was mostly generic machinery, and we didn't really get a good look at what the machine actually did.

When they release the assets for MFP to the HPL2 modding tools, I'd very much like to see someone make a "properly" terrifying machine. I might even do it if, against all odds, I fix my depression and get an energy and confidence boost.

[Image: tumblr_n6m5lsQThQ1qc99nxo1_250.gif]
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 02:44 AM by Ghieri.)
09-16-2013, 02:42 AM
Find
Diango12 Offline

(09-16-2013, 02:42 AM)Ye Olde Aldi Wrote: I honestly feel that there weren't enough sound cues. What usually got me in TDD was the ambiance. Also, I think we got a very sterile version of what the machine was actually capable of. It was mostly generic machinery, and we didn't really get a good look at what the machine actually did.

When they release the assets for MFP to the HPL2 modding tools, I'd very much like to see someone make a "properly" terrifying machine. I might even do it if, against all odds, I fix my depression and get an energy and confidence boost.

I have to disagree here. If its one thing TCR did well in the horror department, is its sound. In TDD you eventually become immunized to the constant sound of inexistent enemies all around you. AMFP ambiance and subtle sound cues were done right on point. Not to mention the melancholic opera score in that room was just about as unsettling as it gets for me.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 02:47 AM by Diango12.)
09-16-2013, 02:47 AM
Find
JPTS Offline

Threads: 0

I don't know much about mods, but here are a few suggestions:

1- Include the chase music but make it stop before the monster disappears. This way, the music won't let the player know when the monster leaves.

2- Make the light flickering random. So you can't detect the monsters everytime.

3- Add more monsters.
09-16-2013, 02:48 AM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

The monster and chase music are a pretty obvious ''oooooooooooooohhhhh there's a monster'' clue so by omitting them they keep you on your toes. Also like that they have ''random'' music playing from out of left field to toy with our preconceptions.

The lantern and lights flickering also function as a tell but, again, they don't guarantee an encounter or anything. That's just there to fuck with the player.

And I died (slammed a door into my face...god damn it) from 3 hits once but yeah, monsters could be a tad stronger.

But yeah, the monster and chase music made things a bit obvious in TDD. ''Oh look, that music's playing, better go hide.''
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 03:07 AM by Cuyir.)
09-16-2013, 02:55 AM
Find
Lleviathyn Offline

(09-16-2013, 02:32 AM)crashbfan Wrote: the design of the game suckssss
So instead of giving me some good solid thoughts on my idea like I asked you come here just to bash the game some more.

Seems legit.
(09-16-2013, 02:31 AM)Diango12 Wrote: The problem itself is the level design. The linear path you take doesn't lend itself well to chases and stalking.
Actually, there are quite a few areas that seemed perfect for an encounter that didn't, like the holding pens in the centrifuge level, or somewhere in the pigline level.

Outlast is linear as hell too, yet they manage to fit in plenty of encounters. If you give the game another chance you'd notice that there is room for more encounters.

EDIT: Stalking music could probably be left out, as I found lantern flickering creepier. However, you know when you're being chased so adding chase music would just make the encounter scarier and not give the player any warning like spawning/stalking music would.
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 03:05 AM by Lleviathyn.)
09-16-2013, 03:00 AM
Find
Dash213 Offline

ideas are worth pennies, actual living proof is worth millions.

don't get me wrong, it's possible. but it will take weeks of hard work and dedication to make it at an AAA or even AA quaility level. and thats with assets and funcionality you already have just tweak.

if anyone on this forum thinks he can do a better job the the chinese room with this game, go ahed and try. if you succedd you deserve an applause, if you give up you already know my answer.
09-16-2013, 03:10 AM
Find
Lleviathyn Offline

(09-16-2013, 03:10 AM)Dash213 Wrote: ideas are worth pennies, actual living proof is worth millions.

don't get me wrong, it's possible. but it will take weeks of hard work and dedication to make it at an AAA or even AA quaility level. and thats with assets and funcionality you already have just tweak.

if anyone on this forum thinks he can do a better job the the chinese room with this game, go ahed and try. if you succedd you deserve an applause, if you give up you already know my answer.
I don't plan to redo the whole game, just add a few more encounters, possibly tweak their stats a little, and add some terrifyingly tense chase music. I may not be good with modding so I couldn't do the stats but I know enough about the level editor and scripting to be able to get a more encounters in when that update comes out.

TCR did a fantastic job IMO, I just want to make it scarier to appease the people who bought and expected an Amnesia experience.
09-16-2013, 03:42 AM
Find
Dash213 Offline

(09-16-2013, 03:42 AM)Lleviathan Wrote: I don't plan to redo the whole game, just add a few more encounters, possibly tweak their stats a little, and add some terrifyingly tense chase music. I may not be good with modding so I couldn't do the stats but I know enough about the level editor and scripting to be able to get a more encounters in when that update comes out.

TCR did a fantastic job IMO, I just want to make it scarier to appease the people who bought and expected an Amnesia experience.

well good luck, and i mean it. for you or anyone else who might try it. Tongue
(This post was last modified: 09-16-2013, 03:47 AM by Dash213.)
09-16-2013, 03:46 AM
Find