Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Water looks different in-game than in-editor?
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34
Water looks different in-game than in-editor?

I've been making a custom water texture for the past hour and I've finally got it reflecting and looking exactly how I want it to in the editor. But, for some reason, when I start the game, it looks nowhere near as good. Any idea why?

[Image: hmjLKx1.jpg]

Larger Version

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2013, 06:03 PM by DamnNoHtml.)
09-20-2013, 06:03 PM
Find
Rapture Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 79
RE: Water looks different in-game than in-editor?

Personally I like the in-game one better, it looks more natural with the water distorting the image more.

Any particular reason to why it looks like the normals are really strong near the camera, but after a certain short distance it looks fine? (Editor Picture)
09-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

Yeah imo it loks better in game, im not sure whats causing your problem but there's my input

09-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

Your level editor version is just brighter in general, I think that might have something to do with it.

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
09-21-2013, 05:17 AM
Find
Your Computer Offline
SCAN ME!

Threads: 32

It is likely that the in-game water gets applied with some kind of post-process effect. The level editor may avoid loading these effects for performance reasons.

Tutorials: From Noob to Pro
09-21-2013, 06:08 PM
Website Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

In-game toats looks better, the reason is that the editor doesn't display translucent materials properly.
09-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Find
DamnNoHtml Offline

Threads: 34

(09-21-2013, 06:34 PM)Traggey Wrote: In-game toats looks better, the reason is that the editor doesn't display translucent materials properly.

Welp. 4/4 doesn't lie. Thanks for the input everyone and thanks for the answer Traggey.

Creator of Wake, Through the Portal, Insomnia, and Cycles What to do with HPL3....
09-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

Quote:Water looks different in-game than in-editor?
Well, I suppose that thread is not about something I am going to ask about. But at least this thread is actually water questions oriented, so here's my question. Is it possible to make underwater areas? As I presume it is in fact possible. For example, I can make a certain box light area and a fog area to imitate underwater atmosphere. Also for sure I can make some water bubbles particles. But! What to do with the protagonist-player swimming imitation? That's the only thing that confuses be quite a bit. I presume it's possible to make a specific First-Person-View animations with both hands visible, just like when a player climbs ladder and both hands are visible. But that's the question is that really possible to add such animations set to a player? Or they are locked somehow? And another thing is a underwater speed of movement and possibility of drowning. I presume it's hard but possible to script that with timers (drowning). So as I imagine it to myself ALL I've mentioned is possible to make. Am I right or wrong?

As for water screenshots I also prefer how it looks ingame. But I also like that at the Level Editor the parts of stones which are underwater are visible, while in game there's only reflections.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 08:08 PM by Alex Ros.)
09-24-2013, 08:00 PM
Website Find
ZyLogicX Offline

Threads: 24

(09-24-2013, 08:00 PM)Alex Ros Wrote:
Quote:Water looks different in-game than in-editor?
Well, I suppose that thread is not about something I am going to ask about. But at least this thread is actually water questions oriented, so here's my question. Is it possible to make underwater areas? As I presume it is in fact possible. For example, I can make a certain box light area and a fog area to imitate underwater atmosphere. Also for sure I can make some water bubbles particles. But! What to do with the protagonist-player swimming imitation? That's the only thing that confuses be quite a bit. I presume it's possible to make a specific First-Person-View animations with both hands visible, just like when a player climbs ladder and both hands are visible. But that's the question is that really possible to add such animations set to a player? Or they are locked somehow? And another thing is a underwater speed of movement and possibility of drowning. I presume it's hard but possible to script that with timers (drowning). So as I imagine it to myself ALL I've mentioned is possible to make. Am I right or wrong?

As for water screenshots I also prefer how it looks ingame. But I also like that at the Level Editor the parts of stones which are underwater are visible, while in game there's only reflections.

Have a look at this http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thr...age-3.html. The creator (Kyle)
, has not been seen online on this forum for months. But it is indeed possible.

Beyond the Mountains of Madness [15%]
This forum is dying.
(This post was last modified: 09-25-2013, 04:35 PM by ZyLogicX.)
09-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Find
JonnyAnomaly Offline

Threads: 20

The water looks really nice, how did you make it?
09-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Find