Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Eternium: Sins of the Father [Full Release]
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46
RE: Eternium: Sins of the Father [Demo]

Shit... I did hope it's that moment I've been waiting for... well, 've been waiting for quite some time. But looks like it's not the moment I am waiting for as long as
Quote:The demo has had all story and puzzle elements removed so as to not spoil the full release.
But that
Quote:Release Date - Late October/Early November
leaves a bit of hope Heart

By the way. What does that
Quote:Features:... High Mapping Quality
means? Huh How to decide what kind of mapping is HQ or LQ? Could it be that the only thing you mean by saying "High Mapping Quality" is something like "Carefully and Patiently Detailed Maps"?
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2013, 10:50 PM by Alex Ros.)
09-22-2013, 10:44 PM
Website Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

(09-22-2013, 10:44 PM)Alex Ros Wrote: By the way. What does that
Quote:Features:... High Mapping Quality
means? Huh How to decide what kind of mapping is HQ or LQ? Could it be that the only thing you mean by saying "High Mapping Quality" is something like "Carefully and Patiently Detailed Maps"?

Yep that's basically what he means ^^

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
09-23-2013, 02:21 AM
Find
Alex Ros Offline

Threads: 46

Anyway sometime ago I have asked you, Robosprog, if it's OK to play the version you unpleased with by yourself and you gave me advice to wait for a final, polished as possible version. That's about all, I am just waiting with the greatest interest. In fact your project, Robosprog, is the only one I am waiting to play. There's nothing else interesting for me released or w.i.p. I've tried "4 Horseman" and nope... so... You're my only hope to spend a couple of evenings by playing something interesting. No jokes, seriously. So, Robosprog, do not screw it up or I would become sad, upset and hopeless (here is when I am joking).

P.S. Well, maybe, I just don't know and there's something else interesting released or w.i.p. I can not say anything about that for sure.

P.P.S. Anyway, I have to write a patiently well-thought-out review on a Machine for Pigs, so at least now I do have something to entertain me myself at the evenings time. Quite a challenge to write on a Machine for Pigs, because it's too easy to fall into critics or vice versa into praising... oh well, OK.
(This post was last modified: 09-24-2013, 01:57 AM by Alex Ros.)
09-24-2013, 01:54 AM
Website Find
Kman Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 25

sweet i'll check this tomorrow if i get the time

Posting Freak
09-24-2013, 08:53 AM
Website Find
SchnidlersLeest Offline

Threads: 1

Awesome! The first Eternium really sucked ass so I look forward to this awesome looking sequel!
10-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Find
SchnidlersLeest Offline

Played the demo, it's great! The visuals have greatly utilized the abilities of the HPL2 engine, also some pretty unique map crafting, in comparison to the usual CS/mod. Really looking forward to this. Smile
10-26-2013, 06:35 AM
Find
SchnidlersLeest Offline

RE: Eternium: Sins of the Father [Full Release]

(10-29-2013, 10:32 AM)Robosprog Wrote: Since I love you all, you get the mod before moddb.
Have fun.
Download

>that shady-ass site
>luckiest to first get the viruses
10-29-2013, 01:44 PM
Find
SchnidlersLeest Offline

(10-29-2013, 01:48 PM)Robosprog Wrote: Click the button in the middle. It's a game in a game, if you lose the first game your computer suffers.

I don't play games that involve the life or death of my computer.
10-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Find
Kreekakon Offline
Pick a god and pray!

Threads: 70

Yay ya finished this, and itsa time for happy review time with Kreekakon!

Review will be SPOILER FREE

Mapping/Setting:

For starters, there is a lot of of great mapping in this mod. Hallways are well detailed with no shortage of interesting room designs. There is also a great deal huge set pieces which frankly are not all that often seen in an Amnesia mod. Nothing much more to add, because it's just flat-out good in most areas.

Scares/Atmosphere:

There is a new(?) monster in this mod, and I think his disturbing appearance greatly contributes to the fear factor in this mod. I won't go into much detail saying how he looks like, but I will say his disturbing design is one of the main things that I dreaded facing while playing this mod, and one of the greatest sources of my fear.

There is no shortage of ambient music, and sounds in Eternium. A lot of which is custom it left me wondering if some cues were pre-scripted, or just coincidentally aligning with my actions. Either way it caused me no small amount of paranoia, and while was not sufficient to make me fear going forward, was definitely enough to make me dread my footsteps for fear of hearing an extra pair of feet walking alongside mine.

Storytelling:

The story, like many Amnesia mods, is told primarily through notes. There is a surprisingly good amount of clever writing in many of the notes, and at least one line had me chuckling at how clever it was.

However the story...while it has potential...just doesn't feel like it has any life to it. The concept of the story is a good one, but when you only almost have text as the only way of telling your story explicitly, then it loses some charm, because the story just doesn't feel alive when there's nothing much to haul it up besides notes. Voice acting, or events in the world may have greatly strengthened this aspect.

Gameplay/Puzzles:

The monster timings in this mod I feel were very adequate for the most part. They never really appeared anywhere that would make them outstay their welcome.

There are't really that many complex puzzles in this mod, and many of them are quite straight-forward rarely having a huge twist, or turn.

I will have to say though that quite a bit of the level design, particularly in the second half, can be extremely confusing. I sometimes would find myself lost, and have to circle around for a very long time before I found the exit. Although a good amount of it may have been me being stupid, and just simply not having seen the exit, I still think in retrospective that it's a valid concern that your one chance for salvation is the one exit tucked away somewhere that I kept constantly missing.

I do have to applaud the "thinking forward" of employing video game generosity in this mod. Early on in the mod I was baffled at why there were so many oil cans lying around in the map only to later realize it was because the creator was thinking ahead for an exceptionally dark area which would likely eat up a lot of your saved-up oil.

Technical Issues:

Nothing too major. A couple blinking textures, and sometimes the monsters getting stuck.

Verdict: This mod has great mapping with some new interesting set pieces along with quite a terrifying atmosphere. Problems include the less-than-marvelous presented story as well as some weird level design. 7.3/10

[professional reviewer mode off]

To Robo for this mod:

Spoiler below!

Looking forward to seeing how part one turns out!

[Image: Tv0YgQb.gif]
Image by BandyGrass
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2013, 08:32 PM by Kreekakon.)
10-29-2013, 04:15 PM
Find
Gilligan's Hell Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 17

My first Impressions:right off the bat the mod looks professional and well made. the story is quite interesting. I Personally think the lantern didn't really help because the light was quite dim. The mapping was brilliant and the billboard lighting you've pulled off was quite cleaver
I'm still playing so i'll get my review up soon.

Robo. you are a god at mapping.

The International Narcotics Traffic
10-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Find