Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Zero Punctuation: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
Fortigurn Offline

Threads: 6
RE: Zero Punctuation: Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs

(10-04-2013, 01:54 PM)Mjarr Wrote: I disagree for it conveying any kind of real delivery in TDD - aside from discouraging staring at Lovecraftian kebab chefs - because it really boils down to two major effects:

1. You lost your spectacles and eventually go underwater.
2. You pass out from loss of sanity.

I don't know which version you played, but in the version I played there was no going underwater, and as soon as you entered darkness your sanity started to drain significantly; it wasn't long before you had to find a light source or you would start getting blurred vision. You certainly couldn't look at a monster for half an hour; looking directly at a monster almost immediately caused a massive lost of sanity, and your vision blurred and your movement slowed straight away.
10-04-2013, 05:04 PM
Find
Cuyir Offline

Threads: 1

(10-04-2013, 05:04 PM)Fortigurn Wrote:
(10-04-2013, 01:54 PM)Mjarr Wrote: I disagree for it conveying any kind of real delivery in TDD - aside from discouraging staring at Lovecraftian kebab chefs - because it really boils down to two major effects:

1. You lost your spectacles and eventually go underwater.
2. You pass out from loss of sanity.

I don't know which version you played, but in the version I played there was no going underwater, and as soon as you entered darkness your sanity started to drain significantly; it wasn't long before you had to find a light source or you would start getting blurred vision. You certainly couldn't look at a monster for half an hour; looking directly at a monster almost immediately caused a massive lost of sanity, and your vision blurred and your movement slowed straight away.

He meant that the blur-O Vision Mach 7 engine made it look as if you were underwater.
Sanity draining significantly?

Come on, you're over estimating the effects.

I spent 80 percent of the game in the darkness and nothing happened to Daniel. Just silly blurred vision, crackling sounds and roaches on the floor. Nothing significant.

The only significant shifts in ''sanity'' happened when the game wanted it to happen (ie, scripted moments) and if you were an asshole and stared at the creatures.

As a mechanic, it was almost completely useless and it failed at trying to do what it was supposed to do. If anyone was affected by those effects then golly gee, I guess they'd be the sort of people that get scared when they rub their eyes for too long and the little ''blobs'' appear.

''Oh nooooo, the transdimensional eye blobs are baaaack, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, so scary.''
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2013, 06:30 PM by Cuyir.)
10-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

Kinda funny how people only start acknowledging the benefits of removing the insanity system when Yahtzee mentioned it.

I know that I like Mandus much for than Daniel for the simple reason that he doesn't come off as such a coward. :p
10-04-2013, 10:53 PM
Find
Mechavomit Offline

Threads: 0

(10-04-2013, 10:53 PM)Alardem Wrote: Kinda funny how people only start acknowledging the benefits of removing the insanity system when Yahtzee mentioned it.

I know that I like Mandus much for than Daniel for the simple reason that he doesn't come off as such a coward. :p
He did agree that it was a nice way of stopping you from staring at monsters. Kinda makes them more scary.
10-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Find
padme Offline

The point is, the insanity system a good idea, it just needed to be worked on. But no, it wasn't improved, it was removed instead.
10-05-2013, 04:40 PM
Find
grrrz Offline

(10-05-2013, 04:40 PM)padme Wrote: The point is, the insanity system a good idea, it just needed to be worked on. But no, it wasn't improved, it was removed instead.
The sanity system was relevant for someone who was afraid of the dark. different characters, different effects. I find the "changing environment" effect much more efficient for questioning your sanity. There was something similar in black plague (you were inhabited by a spirit who sometimes changed your perception, making doors dissapeared).
I also found the fear and vision system much more effective as a mechanic in Penumbra. If you crouched and didn't move, you could see better in the dark, If you looked at a creature directly, you would panick and reveal yourself.
10-05-2013, 10:54 PM
Find