Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Work in progress Idea for Custom Story
HorrorElementFilms Offline

Threads: 8
Idea for Custom Story

I've been contemplating ideas for stories and such, not so much related to Amnesia for quite some time. When I'm not busy trying to make films, I make short stories for a hobby. While I've never published anything, I enjoy writing regardless.
However, I came up with an idea and concept that would seem to make an amazing custom story for Amnesia, and I plan to start working on it within the week.

Story:

The story takes place in the year 2283, and a horrible disease has stricken the planet. The disease takes its name as the "Plage of the Second millenia", and kills 95% of anyone who comes in contact with the disease. The other 5%, experience extreme genetic mutation, that is irreversible. In the planet's grief, they launch a plan that has been prepared for since the the start of the century. A interplanetary Space Ark, fit for housing up to 300,000 people.

The ship is more than 5 miles in length, and is powered through warp drive technology. Only the rich can board the ship. The rich, and the lucky. The disease finds its way onto the ship, and all hell breaks lose.

You play as Henry Striker, a mastermind designer with a wealthy heritage. You wake up in the engine compartments of the ship, and cannot remember anything about the disease, ship, or your involvement in it.

Moans of the disease echo across the barren cruiser, the moans of your friends and family whom you no longer recognize.

Features:

- Interactive human A.I. relevant to puzzles, context, and story.
- Complete maneuverability, the majority of the ship will be able to be explored.
- Differant form of Inventory, (similar to Penumbra's)
- Complex, engaging, and horrendously large puzzles
- Extremely large map design
- Multiple, and interchangeable forms of lighting (lantern, flashlight, lamps, candles, and glowsticks)
- Flashbacks will not just be audible, but visual as well.
- adding a "gruesome" factor that will push the nausea limits of players, and that goes beyond just blood and gore.
- Genuinely horrifying experience. I've been testing different mechanics and principles, that will completely "step up" the scare factor in custom stories. Oh yeah, and no jump scares required.

If I were to begin with this, would you guys like to see these kinds of features in an amnesia CS? And what kind of features would you like, or not like to see?

I'll post screenshots and concepts when I began map design. I'll hope to be done with this by early 2014.
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2013, 09:06 PM by HorrorElementFilms.)
09-29-2013, 05:30 AM
Website Find
Tychaos Offline

Threads: 5
RE: Idea for Custom Story

Sounds like a cool idea! Although it sounds like it will be extremely hard/ time consuming to pull off. Especially if it is your first time making a custom story/ full conversion. A lot of those features sound very extreme. Also if it where to be set in a modern ship you would have to use custom entities etc...

It would probably be best to start with something easier assuming this is your first time. Although you could try to get help from others.

Check out my WIP custom story Dark Tower!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dark-tower
(This post was last modified: 09-30-2013, 02:48 AM by Tychaos.)
09-30-2013, 02:47 AM
Find
CarnivorousJelly Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 41

You've given yourself a very tight deadline for this project! The story sounds good though, so take your time with it and pay attention to the little details. It pays off in the end c: And good luck!

[Image: quote_by_rueppells_fox-d9ciupp.png]
09-30-2013, 06:54 AM
Find
HorrorElementFilms Offline

Threads: 8

I should add something.

I am a really good mapper, and have already gotten started on creating custom entities. While I've never OFFICIALLY release a custom story, I have experimented and tweaked with various scripts and coding. I think I should push the deadline just a little bit, to at least May or June.

I've just never released or completed a story, because I often lose inspiration or the "will to create" after a certain amount of time. I guess it's writer's block, but I know this won't happen with this one. I've given myself a great and dark story to work on, and I won't let my train of thought die.

The only thing that'll be time consuming for me, is scripting. For example, what I've already planned, is the mapping for each area. But the thing is, that since this won't be NEARLY as linear as the TTD, I'd have to connect each map to each other in a way that doesn't interfere with the other scripts. Plus, the maps might be even more demanding then AMFP.

Oh yeah, and when the time is right, I'll need beta testers. :)
09-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Website Find