Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spoiler Did anyone find Tesla to be difficult?
zico Offline

Threads: 4
RE: Did anyone find Tesla to be difficult?

I have to say... Tesla was like... I dunno... in retrospect I would say it's almost a bit too simple. Two switches and done. The chase is fine but the "fight" is probably a bit too simple.

But well... for my experience when I played it, it was spot on. I was pretty immersed during the whole playthrough but I indeed lost fear of the pigs at some point. Specifically when Mandus was "raging against the machine". I think my reaction was a bit like Mandus would have felt himself during the curse of this odyssey. But when entering the Tesla area I was suddenly scared beyond everything good and evil. In fact when the Tesla Pig turned up I sat there in a corner and got slaughtered. I could not move my fingers. And just realizing: "Dude, I cannot just HIDE from that thing?" Priceless. Call me a pussy but while this "showdown" wasn't good in terms of Gameplay, I'll give it a doubleplusgood for presentation.
10-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Find
Froge Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 176

Disagree. Tesla was the point where I started laughing at the enemy design.

Mechanical creatures are made by humans and thus quite comprehensible. Eldritch red goo universe-eating shadow abominations aren't.

[Image: p229xcq]
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2013, 12:38 AM by Froge.)
10-05-2013, 12:38 AM
Find
zico Offline

Threads: 4

Actually what moved me the most wasn't the Pig itself but everything around. The whole area was just cold and the whole game was going surreal at the point. I did not know what to expect. The enemies alone aren't scary - I agree. So aren't Brutes or Gatherers. Not even meatballs and -curtains. But I didn't find that the point of the game. It always boils down to context. They are merely used as a tool - not the focal point. In both TDD and even more so in AMFP. And in that showdown, it just worked out for me.
10-05-2013, 12:47 AM
Find
Lazoriss Offline

Threads: 2

Well I personally really like the Tesla's design. It looks more like an actual monster than a pig/human hybrid. Also I'm a sucker for blue electricity. I probably would have even liked the model more if it was a bit more mutated looking and larger... also maybe having blue slime dripping from its mouth. >Smile

The "boss" Tesla encounter was the scariest part of the game (even if by "scariest" I mean on par with a DD encounter). I didn't get what I supposed to do right off the bat so ended up skulking around the perimeter. (btw, I went to the right after entering the room, and the switches were to the left whoops)

It was pretty tense. The first switch was easy enough, but the monster seems to be scripted to "warp" close to the second switch when you get within a certain distance to it. I barely managed to sneak past it and still got hit once right after throwing the second switch.

All in all it was pretty scary, but not exactly difficult. The only part I had difficulty with was figuring out what I was supposed to do in the lower piston room. It took forever to find that stupid coal chute. :/
10-05-2013, 05:50 AM
Find
Alardem Offline

Threads: 17

I did not die. I did, however, run around blindly and in true terror for several minutes. Probably one of my favorite moments in a horror game.

The idea sounds ridiculous and, sadly enough, the pigs itself looks too reminiscent of monsters from Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil - an amalgamation of the TV-mouthed Bruiser and the sparkling Invincibility Hunter. But when combined with the pitch blackness, the initial sense of disorientation and the brilliant sound design, panic overcomes reason and I go with the flow.
10-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Find
EnDash Offline

Threads: 2

i didn't die once, in both enoucters. but i prefer it that way, dieing constantly on the same monster kinda breaks immersion. that part was really panicking cause you are used to pigman that don't notice you and are slow. here suddenly there is this big electrical guy and his fast, i had to run and look back constantly to see where he was. after both fights i was bloody red (meaning one hit and i die) so it was intense and felt really close.

in general i prefer bosses that i can beat on the first try, not so easy that i never get hit but not so hard that i will die 7 times before beating them. dieing really gets me out of the story and the immersion i feel in the game.
10-05-2013, 07:38 AM
Find
Damascus Rose Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 22

I didn't die at all in the whole game. I don't even know why they added that monster, it was at this point that their attempt at creating horror had been long forgotten..

[Image: damascusrose2.png]
10-05-2013, 07:56 AM
Find
Zgroktar Offline

Threads: 1

I personally was positively shocked when I saw the Tesla Pig, I couldn't believe what they've pulled out, however I did hope for a little more tense conflict with it.
10-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Find
Nice Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 37

i hate to say it but that thing dropped dead before i even noticed whats going on

Sorry but we cannot change your avatar as the new avatar you specified is too big. The maximum dimensions are 80x80 (width x height)
10-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

Am I the only one who thinks the tesla pig looks a little like a big daddy(bioshock)?
The thing in their mouth resembles a diving helmet, and having a big gun/drill/thing on one arm is a pretty common trait for them as well.
Spoiler below!
[Image: Tesla_Render.jpg]
10-05-2013, 12:27 PM
Find