Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Clarification on monetization policy
Sloloem Offline

Threads: 1
Question  Clarification on monetization policy

Hey all, I've been posting Let's Play videos of a machine for pigs playthrough to youtube, which was just a straight playthrough. I'd currently like to post another series which plays through the game much more slowly, reading out and discussing the story significance of all the notes and other major points like the phone calls and such. I'd like to monetize the videos and put post-roll ads on them. I'm well aware of Frictional's fairly liberal monetization policy, and I clearly attribute the game to Frictional and the chinese room in every video, however on the existing series youtube is giving me a hell of a time monetizing many of the videos. I've gone through several steps providing links to many forum posts where others have asked about Frictional's policy and been told by moderators that it's fully allowed as long as they attribute the game. But Youtube is not accepting any of this, so I'm wondering if maybe I could get an explicit confirmation for me on my channel (BETVShows) that I could monetize these videos. And then I can provide them with links and screen shots.

Thank you!
10-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Find
Sloloem Offline

RE: Clarification on monetization policy

Is bumping allowed here?

I just ran out of time on one of my videos though the finale of my first playthrough is still pending. I haven't started posting my other playthrough that will take the game more analytically, though I was hoping to monetize that through post-roll. I would really like to be able to provide youtube with appropriate documentation for this one since I have a feeling they'll require this for many of those videos as well.
10-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Find
7heDubz Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 40

This isnt a forum for youtube problems. Bumping is allowed but not for somehting such as this. here.

http://bit.ly/1giTHSO

10-16-2013, 01:35 AM
Find
Ashtoreth Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 6

(10-16-2013, 01:35 AM)I Renamed Myself Wrote: This isnt a forum for youtube problems. Bumping is allowed but not for somehting such as this. here.

http://bit.ly/1giTHSO

Since you were so fast using Let Me Google That For You, did you actually take some time to read any of the obtained search results?

Quote:Can I monetize my video…

…if I am playing a video game, or doing a walkthrough?

Whether you can use video game content for monetization depends on the commercial use rights granted to you by licenses of video game publishers. Some video game publishers may allow you to use all video game content for commercial use and state that in their license agreements. Certain video game publishers may require you to credit them in a specific manner for your gameplay to be monetized. Videos simply showing game play for extended periods of time may not be accepted for monetization.

Considering that Frictional Games is the publisher of AMFP, I think it's legit for Sloloem to post his question here on this forum.

10-16-2013, 01:50 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Unfortunately there has yet to be an "official" statement from Frictional Games about monetising YouTube playthroughs of their games. The question does crop up at least once a week on these forums, so hopefully one of the Frictional crew can provide a clear statement on the matter which can be pointed to by YouTube users when they run into issues such as yours, Sloloem.

The question has been raised in the moderator's forum before, so I'll poke it with a stick and get it going again.
10-16-2013, 01:59 AM
Find
Sloloem Offline

(10-16-2013, 01:59 AM)Paddy™ Wrote: The question has been raised in the moderator's forum before, so I'll poke it with a stick and get it going again.

Cool! Thank you
10-16-2013, 03:15 AM
Find
Paddy™ Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 43

Sorry for the late reply!

You can now point YouTube to the following official thread if they ever have monetisation concerns in future:

http://www.frictionalgames.com/forum/thread-23849.html

The author is Jens Nilsson, one of the co-directors of Frictional Games. Can't get much more official than that Smile
11-13-2013, 01:41 PM
Find