Facebook Twitter YouTube Frictional Games | Forum | Privacy Policy | Dev Blog | Dev Wiki | Support | Gametee

Question to modelers
Magnum Opus Offline

Threads: 4
Question to modelers

"can u maek me a mnster pls ?"
Hi. I have a question (a serious one though) to 3d artists. I know there is some on the forum. The fact is I'm presently studying law and stuff.. which I found extremely boring. I had the idea -before studying right and law-, to study 3D modeling. However, I made ​​the wrong choice and I just lose a year (very sad, indeed). My question was: To follow such studies, what skills are necessary ? I have to submit a portfolio, a candidature, do I need some drawing skills ?
Thank you in advance. Angel

"You can make it all go away. Put your head back. Close your eyes...

Wade into the quiet of the stream."
10-11-2013, 08:21 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34
RE: Question to modelers

Well it depends on where you live and what school. fx near where I live all thats required is that you finish the peoples-school(0-9th grade). Then since they get many submissions you will also have to do an entry assignment I believe its called, or if you find a internship before it starts then you can get around that and get in easily. This one is free but other places in my country there are some where you have to pay hundreds of dollars a month, and live there.
10-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Find
Magnum Opus Offline

Quote:Well it depends on where you live and what school.
France.
Quote:Then since they get many submissions you will also have to do an entry assignment I believe its called, or if you find a internship before it starts then you can get around that and get in easily. This one is free but other places in my country there are some where you have to pay hundreds of dollars a month, and live there.
Well, thank you ! I will do some research on my own and hope it pays off. Thank you. Wink

10-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Find
WALP Offline
Posting Freak

Threads: 34

I also suggest you try and get your toes wet in some software yourself. Specifically in 3D and modelling software I suggest you take a look at Autodesk software trials, for fx maya,3dsmax or even mudbox. They also have student program where you can register and get a I believe 3 year non-comercial license. Blender is also an option if you want a free software, though the learning curve can be quite a bit harder here and so it might not be the best for first impressions.
10-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Find
Magnum Opus Offline

Yep ! I'm practicing a bit. (3ds max and Mudbox)
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013...averne.png
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013...all-01.png
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013...strade.png
http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2013...allset.png
Nothing extraordinary (I had planned this for a custom story but it was abandoned)

10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Find
Traggey Offline
is mildly amused

Threads: 74

Get these props textured and they could get you a long way, when it comes to applying for studies anyway.

New students athat have gotten accepted into the school where I'm currently at have definately managed to get in with worse stuff.

Some general interest in 2D is always a bonus, but absolutely not needed.
10-12-2013, 01:07 AM
Find
Magnum Opus Offline

Glad to hear it ! Thank you guys. Smile

10-12-2013, 09:14 AM
Find